Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

you know those people who fall asleep in public Watch

ReputationRep:
    I never get enough sleep so I nap whenever I'm sitting down for more than about 10 minutes and not driving - even in exams! Specially on the train and bus though, and I haven't yet missed a stop

ReputationRep:
    English Literature A level classes used to be sleep catch-up for me. I'd ask my teacher about her cats at the start (she bred cats in her spare time) so she'd go off on one, and I'd prop my book up in front of my face, lay my head on the table and snooze.

I fall asleep easily on public transport too.
    I've never woken anyone up though...I'm scared that it would be the wrong stop and they'll shout at me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meilan990)
    maybe its because public transports are quite hypnotic? okay your half tired on the bus, its warm or stuffy aand staring at one point, at you just doze off, sometimes you try to stay awake but you cant....well thats what usually happens to me.
    I know what you mean but surely you can't be so tired that you are incapable of keeping yourself awake? Read a book, have a drink, stand up for a bit...

ReputationRep:
    Don't quite understand why anyone would do that tbh. High risk of getting jacked, harassed. Maybe I would if it was safe to fall asleep. As am v. sleepy always and it would be nice if some nice person woke me up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stratos)
    My feral instincts tell me when someone is approaching my wallet.

Spoiler:
    Show
    The irony(as if wallets existed in the wild)
    I suppose it's easier for guys but girls usually have a bag and if you loosen your grip someone could easily take it!

ReputationRep:
    I was on a train a few weeks back. Everyone, literally everyone in the carriage fell asleep. And it wasn't at some horrific time in the morning either. I'm pretty sure there was a carbon monoxide leak or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SFsucks)
    Yeah, I fallen asleep in classes & on the school bus... but not in random places like the street or fast food places.
    same im exactly like you i lol and i can't help it aswell...the worst part is that i hate coffee and redbull

ReputationRep:
    I also saw a drunk guy get woken up when the train terminated at Gatwick, he eventually got them to understand that he wanted to go to Guildford. They told him that the train would go and turn around and he could just get on the same train to go back, and that they'd help him on when it got here. Except in between it arriving and it turning around to go back to Reading another train turned up and he went on board and locked himself in the toilet. God knows where he ended up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a train right now, and this thread makesme wanna sleep right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdr)
    I woke up on a train a few weeks ago, half an hour after it had arrived at its destination.
    It was the only and final stop, so everyone who saw me knew that I had to get off but no one woke me up!
    Maybe they didn't want to disturb you from your slumber? It was the last stop after all, so it's not like the train kept on taking you to the middle of nowhere :p:

I try not to fall asleep in public when I'm on my own, just because I'd feel a bit vulnerable otherwise :o:. The most I'd do is just close my eyes for a while to rest them, whilst clutching my bag and trying to keep aware of my surroundings.

ReputationRep:
    I like to sleep on the bus, train and in the library mhmmmmm.

ReputationRep:
    This old dear fell asleep on my shoulder on a train up to Manchester once. She drooled, and I wish I was kidding.

ReputationRep:
    I find the movements of buses and trains really soothing, I almost always go to sleep if it's a long journey. I quite often set my alarm on my phone for about 15 minutes before my stop so I wake up.

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of when my dozy father fell asleep on the train on the way home from work and no-one woke him up at the final stop. The train went all the way back to central london (an hour away) before he woke up. He must have been so confused... :teehee:

Personally I never fall asleep in public... always worry I am going to do something embarrasing like dribble or fall of my chair.
    I once was sat on a train resting my head in my hands and I was slowly dozing off but before I could fall asleep my hand slipped and I smacked my head on the chair in front. After that I'm too embarassed to even close my eyes in public.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how people can fall asleep on any form of public transport. I've tried to in the past, on long train journeys, but the motion is always too rough for me to do anything but experience myoclonic(?) jerks.

ReputationRep:
    They don't bother me unless they're leaning on me asleep - then I wake them up by digging them in the ribs with my elbows. :devil:

Oh, and when I'm going to have to sit next to someone else on the bus, if someone is sitting on the outer seat asleep, that's my first choice. Next comes people with loads of bags on seats - will get them to move it all before I'll sit next to someone with an easily-accessed seat free.

ReputationRep:
    I find seeing closed eyes in public, like trains really funny to see. Firstly it is ok if it is a pretty face. Secondly when you watch them and wonder what their eyes look like when they eventually may open them. :eek: If bored, play guessing game imagining colour/ shape of eyes/ how sleepy their eyes might look etc.

The thought of sleeping safely wherever would be nice.

ReputationRep:
    Last time I was on the train eating, was tired from work as there was a 4hr evacuation outside.

Dude sitting next to me, can't remember think he was Chinese or something. His head was going all over the place whilst he was fast asleep, it was coming my way and I was stuffing my face hungry eating after hectic day.

The train carriage were laughing at my facial expressions, whilst I was trying to eat in peace and had this head coming towards me every few seconds. Think his head was really forward aswell, sleeping with his chin inwards. The people to his other side were all LOL too just watching where his head was wandering off next. :eek:

Didn't care, aslong as my food was ok

ReputationRep:
    I rarely do it. Like others on here, I don't feel comfortable/safe sleeping in public. I would love to catch an extra hour or two at school during the duller lessons but I don't trust the other pupils.

I find it easiest to sleep on coaches for some reason but can't do it on planes.

ReputationRep:
    nearly missed my stop a couple of hours ago cause I was sleeping on the train, got sick of nearly headbutting the person opposing me so I fell asleep on my hand :P

And no I don't wake people up cause I don't know if it's their stop or not and I don't wanna feel awkward for ages for waking them up lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.