Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I feel discriminated against because of my race. Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I went out tonight to a social at my university. And not for the first time, i get rejected by a load of girls most of whom i wasn't even trying to do anything with. It's subtle, but i can feel the racism they have and especially the prejudices they hold against me.

I'm not a abnormal guy physically by any means. I was the same height as most of the guys there, lookswise i was better than a lot of the guys who got girls, i go to the gym regularly, everything else is perfectly fine.

This is what makes me wonder, i hold the same energy levels as the guy sitting next to me when a girl came over for a conversation. Yet, she keeps eye contact with him 90% of the time. And also, she initiates getting his phone number later. Now, this guy is no looker, he is only a bit taller than me too. So physically, it was pretty even.
    I don't know what i did wrong tbh, because these girls who i didn't know (no one knew each other) looked at me like i was not worth anything... and that gets to my head. That i have nothing wrong with me , but there IS something wrong.

Now, maybe i have the wrong end of the stick. Maybe i just suck with women, but there is a big feeling that they dislike me because of my race (i'm Chinese by ethnicity, Northern origins). I got groped in the balls by some lesbian (as did a mate) but i didn't know if that was just banter. I just don't know and i hate this.
    It hurts everytime i go out (i don't go out much because this always happens) and especially when i think about the girl i was in love with who was mixed race Chinese who wanted nothing to do with me because she only hung around white people (her words, i got her to admit it).
    Just hang out with your own race, seriously. Not tryna be segregative or racist here, just realistic. I'm also Chinese (in London) and used to hang out with white British/mixed groups growing up and i always felt these type of reactions (and I'm a girl!). Like what you said about people's eye contact always directed towards my friends etc, as if I was a child or something.

In my opinion, no matter how goodlooking/great personality you have, people of one culture will always favour their own above another. That's just the way it goes. So after realising this, my closest friends are now east asians - japanese, korean, chinese, etc. Thing the is, within a group of your own kind, your personality is seen by others much more quickly and valued for what it is rather than first seeing your race. If you get what i mean? Also, i used to be attracted only to white guys, but now it has totally switched round to east-asians all the way!! The more you're around a particular group the more you'll find to like about them (basically I'm suggesting you go for chinese girls ) Don't compare yourselves to white people, there's so much to like about our own culture, come on embrace it! (plus with the rise of China's economy, the next few decades are in our laps...it's asia's time )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by air-ninety-one)
    aren't you the same guy who was stalking that other guy on the Harvard btec thread? you got properly embarrassed. lol
    How?

ReputationRep:
    When you are a minority it is bound to happen, not all white girls will feel attracted to you and may feel that it is your race that they see first not you. Trust me I know what you mean I am a black female and we aren’t considered to be high in the pecking order.
    I’m attracted to all races so I wouldn’t over look someone because they were outside my race.I wouldn’t take it to heart OP. There are many reasons why they don’t talk to you, Maybe they assume you don’t like white girls so they don’t go up to you, or if you really are good looking, feel intimidated or feel they aren’t good enough for you. Maybe you are not looking for the right girls, for all you know there was a girl on the other side of the room who really like you but was scared of rejection.

ReputationRep:
    I went out tonight to a social at my university. And not for the first time, i get rejected by a load of girls most of whom i wasn't even trying to do anything with. It's subtle, but i can feel the racism they have and especially the prejudices they hold against me.

I'm not a abnormal guy physically by any means. I was the same height as most of the guys there, lookswise i was better than a lot of the guys who got girls, i go to the gym regularly, everything else is perfectly fine.

This is what makes me wonder, i hold the same energy levels as the guy sitting next to me when a girl came over for a conversation. Yet, she keeps eye contact with him 90% of the time. And also, she initiates getting his phone number later. Now, this guy is no looker, he is only a bit taller than me too. So physically, it was pretty even.
    I don't know what i did wrong tbh, because these girls who i didn't know (no one knew each other) looked at me like i was not worth anything... and that gets to my head. That i have nothing wrong with me , but there IS something wrong.

Now, maybe i have the wrong end of the stick. Maybe i just suck with women, but there is a big feeling that they dislike me because of my race (i'm Chinese by ethnicity, Northern origins). I got groped in the balls by some lesbian (as did a mate) but i didn't know if that was just banter. I just don't know and i hate this.
    It hurts everytime i go out (i don't go out much because this always happens) and especially when i think about the girl i was in love with who was mixed race Chinese who wanted nothing to do with me because she only hung around white people (her words, i got her to admit it).
    How do you feel about Chinese girls? Have you considered dating them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaz77)
    Tbh OP, I really do not think this is racism. Oriental guys are hot (I'm black btw) and I know a lot of girls from various races who share this view. You may be slightly paranoid about them showing hatred towards you, perhaps because of the experience you had with the girl you were in love with and how it affected you. I have experienced racism, its not this. As long as no one of them has actually said 'I hate you because you are chinese' you can't conclude that any of them are racist, or even hate you. It could just be all in your head. Also you should move to London, you'll get way more female attention, might even be approached by a modelling agency if you have the fabulous cheekbones you've described.
    This..

OP, chillout mate and relax....the most important thing you can do for yourself now is to gain your confidence back.......

The truth is that everyone cant be attracted to all races....However, I believe a hot person is hot,period..regardless of race....however because you are good looking doesnt mean a girl will find you attractive...if you know what I mean...attraction has more to do with " can I have sex with this person??"....this is independent of your looks......

I am sure there are loads of girls that find oriental guys attractive...I wouldnt go crazy because of "one" experience......and honestly, confidence can make you attractive, regardless of your race...maybe you need to work on your confidence???

Goodluck...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    I'm Oriental... I could be your reverse Harry Potter and you could be my reverse Cho Chang.

:sexface:
    Are you really? Well i fancied you before anyway :blush::love:

ReputationRep:
    but before you edited the post you were talking about how asian men should get 'raped'. i mean seriously, this is so disrespectful and racist.

even though you are anon, i still remember your username.

i have messaged some moderators, as have other members affected, and they have promised to take action.

this is a sad say in the history of tsr.
    Ummm okay... You did the right thing :yep:

Though just to be pedantic i wrote i was surprised 'they weren't' and I wasn't condoning rape, only using it in a really awful, disgusting and offensive manner.

I'm sure the mods will take approppriate action and hopefully a ban will be issued against me as a warning to all others that such use of language is unacceptable. Thanks for making me realise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    Ummm okay... You did the right thing :yep:

Though just to be pedantic i wrote i was surprised 'they weren't' and I wasn't condoning rape, only using it in a really awful, disgusting and offensive manner.

I'm sure the mods will take approppriate action and hopefully a ban will be issued against me as a warning to all others that such use of language is unacceptable. Thanks for making me realise
    wow, im sorry.

i was only pullin your leg, it REALLY didnt affect me whatsoever. i was just seeing how far it could take me. but yeah, your way to sweet to ridicule.

ReputationRep:
    wow, im sorry.

i was only pullin your leg, it REALLY didnt affect me whatsoever. i was just seeing how far it could take me. but yeah, your way to sweet to ridicule.
    What i said was wrong. But you did seem adament and you were right to be persistant had this been something that had affected you so. This is the internet but there are real people behind the usernames

I've been hooking up with a Chinese American girl at uni, it's great, Asian girls are the way to go.

I think the guys have it tougher though. Like even this girl in spite of the fact she's Chinese prefers white guys.

ReputationRep:
    I've been hooking up with a Chinese American girl at uni, it's great, Asian girls are the way to go.

I think the guys have it tougher though. Like even this girl in spite of the fact she's Chinese prefers white guys.
    chinese/asian women, really seems to like white men.... Orientals are the only ethnic group who rather go for white males then there own,

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, and sorry if I'm being harsh but:
    I think your just being paranoid and over-thinking things
    You can't expect every single girl to fall weak at the knees once they've laid eyes on you,
    nor can you expect you to be every girls type.
    Maybe you should stop sitting there pondering why a girl blew you off for the guy sat next to you
    and maybe go to a girl instead of waiting for them to come to you
    the whole "lookswise i was better than a lot of the guys who got girls"
    you got to remember that looks only get you so far and that personality counts lots.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i know that. That is why i don't go out much. But objectively, i know i'm a lot better looking than most of the guys there lol (high cheekbones, defined jawline, v-shaped body). And physically stronger/decent height. So i was rightfully pissed off.

But this point about political correctness not regarding the nightlife scene. . . it implies the natives here really do try to hold their tongues in day to day life. And i can see that face of things come out when people lose their facades with alcohol.

Maybe it's the arrogance that's a turnoff?

ReputationRep:
    Is this racist? Really?

Just because you think you can feel the racism doesn't mean it's there. I'm sorry that you feel that way, but if you drop the "everybody's racist and hates me" thing, then you might be more likely to get the girls...

It's not all about looks, height and muscle, it's about charisma and personality too, which aren't dependent on race at all.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it said face.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.