Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    If you think shopping at 11pm is fun, there's something seriously wrong.
    Tesco Extra at 11pm is great, though. Trolley running FTW!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tessaaa)
    okay so I'll be heading there in the near future to further my education. but i heard really nasty things about the uk. so i'd like to clarify a few things:

1) Do all the shops really close at 5pm?
    It's kind of unbelievable, considering how some retail stores close at 11pm here.

2) Are the students really normally confined to their dorms, or campuses on weekdays?

3) Are all the international students really like over-the-top nerds who mug almost 24/7?

4) Is life really going to be as boring and bland as a cup of water?

If all the above are true, then I'll have to re-think my decision :/

Update:
    To all the people who thought i was stereotyping and offensive or whatever else. I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out this way. It's just what relatives and friends I have there told me. Before that, going to the uk to live and study had always been my dream because I really really love the culture there. It's different and seems really exciting and just wonderful. The purpose of this thread is to look for some reassurance that my 'dream' wouldn't turn out to be as ****ty as I have heard. I don't believe in the stereotypes entirely because I haven't been there so I'm in no position to do so. Here's and apology to all the people I have unintentionally offended. I'm sorry.
    It is just dumb of you not to look for some information such as opening times on the internet and then compare a four day non-stop service (Tesco) with your funny closing at 11 p.m. My advice for you is to stay at home. Most of us foreigners just want to take the benefits without any reciprocation to the country and then even complain. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    4 of the most absurd stereotypes ive ever heard in my entire life. I love it here,i lived in America and there were things which i hated about it! Health care,noisy streets,souless houses,no dry sense of humor,nothing! you come onto a page,for British students,and you come out with all this untrue drivel? someone has been feeding you bull**** for breakfast lunch and dinner!!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to bother trying to convince you to change your mind, because I don't give a **** whether you study in the UK or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrospect)
    Yeah, it is a little bit. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you... American? Having lived both in the US and the UK, for me personally, the UK has nothing on the US.
    Are you serious? the USA is a godawful place. Expensive,bland people,awful food,silicon boobs,awful beer,stupid tv and irritating accents. Id rather live in Zimbabwe...

ReputationRep:
    KFCs in the UK don't do deliveries, unlike in Singapore. If I were you, I'd stay where you are and order some Hot Wings.

ReputationRep:
    thats kinda a load of rubbish, the shops do close at 5 in little towns and places but the big commercial places usual stay open till 8 at least, and later at Xmas.
    life is only boring here if you make it boring, its no worse or better than anywhere else.
    Students in britain get really drunk very often and stay out till the early hours so no they arent confined to campus.
    I cant speak for the international students though ...
    on the upside there is the free health service

ReputationRep:
    To be fair,and i dont want to sound like a raving EDL member,but if you dont like the UK,then you know where the exits are. I guarentee you wont come across a more multicultural and dry witted country like this!!!

ReputationRep:
    I love it here actually.
    There is no other place in the world with such unpredicted weather...although if you guess that it's going to rain then it's probably true

Considering the sun sets around 3-4pm now, it isn't that bad that shops close at 5pm.

And cup of water? I usually prefer glass.

ReputationRep:
    There is something unhealthy about the fact that most town centres are a no-go area for families on weekend nights. It would be better if restaurants and shops stayed open at least as late as the pubs and bars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nativeLondoner)
    There is something unhealthy about the fact that most town centres are a no-go area for families on weekend nights. It would be better if restaurants and shops stayed open at least as late as the pubs and bars.
    the more urbanised cities are where this problem lies. In Manchester for example,there are a lot of pubs and bars, not too mention a big population,meaning there is perhaps a little bit of noise. However,in York,the streets remain almost silent. My family walked about in York centre until 12am and there was not a peep from any drinkers. I may sound like im bashing America,but again its worse over there,because most of their cities are colossal compared to ours. I did like America once,but i was wrong. My friend's family business has recently gone bust just after a year of moving there. This is because the debt is suprisingly high and competition is ruthless over there. Im glad i came back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingofhearts92)
    Are you serious? the USA is a godawful place. Expensive,bland people,awful food,silicon boobs,awful beer,stupid tv and irritating accents. Id rather live in Zimbabwe...
    Er, the US is a very big place. I don't know where you lived, but I certainly don't remember it being expensive, nor do I remember silicon boobs. You sure you haven't been watching too many American TV shows?

ReputationRep:
    Nope to all

ReputationRep:

Never boring when Santa is around!

ReputationRep:
    England is wonderful, varied and a little eccentric. I wouldn't want to be anything but English. America is massive and so flashy compared to England. Yes, I guess it could be boring, if you're boring. These stereotypes are just nonsense.

What is the problem with some shops shutting at 5 by the way? Not that they all do, I work in a retail store which closes at 8pm on the weekdays.

ReputationRep:
    Of all the places i've been to in the world, I think the UK is the most boring (and I live here) along with Portugal. But maybe thats because I've lived here all my life. Its like when you sleep in the same bed for ages and then you sleep in someone elses bed and its so much better. Come to the UK anyway, you might like it.

ReputationRep:
    Life in the UK is BORING

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingofhearts92)
    I dont know where you've been going in the US but i think its amazing. Clean, friendly nice people, a lot to do.Although british tv is better. And the accents are cool. Plus the women love our british accents, whats not to love?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenlaner)
    No.
    No.
    No.
    No.
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Plenty to do depending on where you are staying
    Shops shut later than 5 most days.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.