The Student Room Group

NSPCC Campaign on facebook : to stop violence against children

Scroll to see replies

Most pointless facebook thing ever...

I can just imagine it now, a 60 yr old guy woke up this morning and was about to beat his kid with a belt BUT WAIT random people on facebook have cartoon characters as their profile pictures..... He's sure to stop:rolleyes:

A more useful thing would be these people donating £5 each to NSPCC.

That would ACTUALLY make a difference instead...

This is TSR though so i will get negged for having an opinion but someone has to point out the sheer pointlessness/stupidity of this...

Also, i went on the NSPCC site and there's nothing about this, in fact they tell you to make your profile picture their "save the number picture...

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/get-involved/spread-the-word/promote-the-helpline/Promotion-materials/helpine-in-social-media/Promote-via-social-media_wda73187.html

I wonder how many of the thousands of people that blindly copied their friends thought to actually check the NSPCC site...
Reply 61
Reply 62
It's a chain letter. It has been floating around for years. Some ****er has added the lie about it being for charity in an effort to help it go viral. This is how some people get their kicks, I suppose. Don't give them the satisfaction.

It takes a minute on the NSPCC website, or the official Facebook page, to verify that this has nothing to do with them. Sorry to sound like such a dour ********, and it reflects badly on no one that they wanted to get involved in this, but in future it might be worth doing a minimal amount of research before allowing some internet saddo to manipulate you.
Don't know about you but I'd rather donate money than change my Facebook picture to a cartoon character :dontknow:

Because if there were ever to be a black guy in DBZ.
Reply 66
I'm Penelope Pittstop :smile:

Obviously it's not there to stop child abuse, it's there to raise awareness, anyone with any common sense would realise that. It's there to make people wonder what's going on, ask, and be reminded that child abuse is still going on all the time and that the NSPCC (whether they officially sanction it or not) is there to help. Hopefully by raising awareness of the NSPCC, it will help them get donations- shockingly, it is possible both to have a cartoon character as your display picture AND to donate money.
Reply 67
It wasn't organised by the NSPCC but they're grateful for it: http://www.facebook.com/nspcc/posts/129409900451942

anyway, I changed mine to Superted :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by Cicerao
People hit their kids? Who knew?

Thank God for Facebook statuses raising awareness.

PS) Boo hoo, neggers! Once again showing how much difference you think you make by clicking a button, and how little you actually do. :mmm:

if you really want an actual answer

if you have been so beautifully aware that people hit their kids, have you been remembering to donate money?
when was the last time you did donate money?

guess what, if facebook wasn't running this supposedly pointless viral campaign, nobody would even be having these conversations about the NSPCC
people are being reminded to donate. that is the whole point of raising awareness.
*clap clap clap*
maybe not a huge number, but definitely more people that were donated before. this is a basically free campaign which is perfectly utilising the power of the internet - why all this cynicism?

somebody else came up with the idea of posting a link to the charity in your status, which is a good idea admittedly and could potentially be more productive, but at the same time, i think the cartoon thing involves more people because they get drawn into the fun of it
maybe a combination of the two?

p.s. i'm dee-dee from dexter's lab :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
I changed mine to Woody, Buzz and the countrygirl :colondollar:
Original post by Holly Hiskey
But why does changing your profile picture stop them? I don't get it :confused:

It doesn't. It's like wearing a poppy on the Remembrance Day. You show you care.
Original post by xnatalie01x
I've got Belle from Beauty and the Beast.

SNAP! Actually I put up a pic of both of them.
Reply 73
I changed mine to Noddy!
And then changed it to Dora The Explorer! :biggrin:
road runner!
Reply 75

and to all those sceptics: the whole idea is to raise awareness...by doing this everyone seems to be talking about the NSPCC - isn't this a perfect form of free advertising? people hear about it, visit the website...some of those people will donate etc

indirectly it will help in some way or another.
Original post by Bella Occhi
Don't know about you but I'd rather donate money than change my Facebook picture to a cartoon character :dontknow:

They aren't mutually exclusive....

Doing both means you directly help by donating money, and also makes it more likely somebody else might by spreading the awareness.

I'm Blossom outta the Powerpuff Girls :biggrin:
Reply 78
it raises awareness? of course its not going to magically make child abuse go away, but it brings it to the front of peoples minds.
i'm boo, from monsters inc. :smile:
I'm Batman. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending