Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speedbird)
    The first phrase should be "Como si fuese lo único que importa" and the second "Esto sugiere que" (this is technically correct, but it sounds very Spanglish).
    Oh ok, thank you! Hopefully nobody used those if they are incorrect, though I know I got the first one out of Palabra por Palabra so many will have. So in statements like that, only the first verb (or whichever indicates the 'as if...' sentiment) needs to be in the imperfect subjunctive and the following one just in the present tense?
    If that is the case
    "As if it were the only problem we had..." would be "Como si fuera el único problema que tenemos" instead of "Como si fuera el único problema que tuviéramos"?
    Sorry if that's a bad example but I couldn't think of any other similar sentences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    Oh ok, thank you! Hopefully nobody used those if they are incorrect, though I know I got the first one out of Palabra por Palabra so many will have. So in statements like that, only the first verb (or whichever indicates the 'as if...' sentiment) needs to be in the imperfect subjunctive and the following one just in the present tense?
    If that is the case
    "As if it were the only problem we had..." would be "Como si fuera el único problema que tenemos" instead of "Como si fuera el único problema que tuviéramos"?
    Sorry if that's a bad example but I couldn't think of any other similar sentences

If you guys know the technical stuff, which I fully ignore, tuvieramos is the pretérito imperfecto (in the past) of "we"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by un-besito)
    If that is the case
    Yes. In fact, it's a very good example. The first is correct.

ReputationRep:
    ¡Hola a todo! Estudio en Escocia, y tengo muchos frases.

En primer lugar - First of all

A mi modo de ver - The way I see it
    Desde de mi punto de vista - From my point of view
    Según mi criterio - As for my view

Sino más bien al contrario - Quite the contrary
    La otra cara de la moneda es que - The other side of the coin is that
    Aunque quisiera pensar de otra manera - Although, I would like to think differently/otherwise
    En cambio - Alternatively / Instead / Conversely
    Lamentablemente - Regretfully / Regrettably
    Es otra historia - It’s a different matter / It’s a different kettle of fish

Hoy en día resulta dificil abrir un periódico en el que no leamos que - Nowadays it's difficult to open a newspaper without reading that

No se trata de..., sino el quid de la cuestión es que - It's not about..., but rather the crux of the matter is that

Aunque parezca paradójico - Although it seems paradoxical

Es una ilusión creer que (subj.) - We're kidding ourselves by believing that (literally: It's an illusion to believe that)

Lo que pasa es que - What happens is that

O sea - To put it in another way / Or rather
    En otras palabras - In other words

Yo de ti - If I were you

A cambio de - In exchange for
    En lugar de - Instead of / In place of

¡Así sea! - So be it!
    Así es la vida - That’s life / Such is life

¡Querer es poder! - Where there's a will there's a way
    ¡Saber es poder! - With knowledge comes power

Puede costar un ojo de la cara - It can be really expensive (literally: it can cost an eye from a face)

Aun así (better) / Así y todo - Even so

Después de mucho pensarlo - After a lot of thought
    Sin pensarlo dos veces - Without a second thought
    Casi sin pensar - Almost without thinking

Por esta razón / Por lo mismo - For that reason

Por último - Ultimately
    Al fin y al cabo / A fin de cuentas - When all is said and done / At the end of the day
    En resumen / En suma - In short
    Esto nos lleva a la conclusión inevitable de que - This brings us to the inevitable conclusion that

Sea como sea - Whatever happens
    Digan lo que digan - Whatever people say

Quizás sea por el hecho de que - Perhaps it may be due to the fact that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick-use)
    ¡Hola todos! Estudio en Escocia, y tengo muchos frases.

Ante todo - Before all else / First of all

A mi modo de ver - The way I see it
    Desde de mi punto vista - From my point of view

Sino más bien al contrario - Quite the contrary
    En cambio - Alternatively / Instead / Conversely
    Lamentablemente - Regretfully / Regrettably
    Es otra historia - It’s a different matter / It’s a different kettle of fish

Lo que pasa es que - What happens is that

O sea - To put it in another way / Or rather

Yo de tí - If I were you

A cambio de - In exchange for

¡Así sea! - So be it!
    Así es la vida - That’s life / Such is life

Aun así (better) / Así y todo - Even so

Después de mucho pensarlo - After a lot of thought

Por esta razón / Por lo mismo - For that reason

Por último / En última instancia - Ultimately
    Al fin y al cabo / A fin de cuentas - When all is said and done / At the end of the day
    En resumen - In short
    Como punto de partida - As a way of departure

No lo van a poder arreglar - They’re not going to be able to fix it.

Quizás sea a causa del hecho que - Perhaps it may be due to the fact that

La situación va empeorando - The situation is getting worse
    muchas gracias!

ReputationRep:
    lo que pase, pase - whatever happens, happens
    qué será, será - what will be, will be

ReputationRep:
    *subz*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raaachek)
    *subz*
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I have an urgent question about a subjunctive phrase.. I'm trying to say If i were them i would work harder, and so far i've got 'Si yo fuese ellos yo trabajara mas duro' Does that work!?? If not how would I say it?

So far as other phrases go I can only really think of one to add - Es lo que hay (it is what it is) I generally use it when you've been having a really deep chat with somebody and can't think of a suitable answer haha!

Thanks,
    EoinMcG

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EoinMcG)
    Hello! I have an urgent question about a subjunctive phrase.. I'm trying to say If i were them i would work harder, and so far i've got 'Si yo fuese ellos yo trabajara mas duro' Does that work!?? If not how would I say it?

So far as other phrases go I can only really think of one to add - Es lo que hay (it is what it is) I generally use it when you've been having a really deep chat with somebody and can't think of a suitable answer haha!

Thanks,
    EoinMcG
    Hi
    I'm currently doing A2 Spanish so might be wrong, but I think the structure for imperfect subjunctive phrases is imperfect subjunctive + conditional, which would make the phrase 'Si yo fuese ellos, yo trabajaria mas duro' (because it's I would, rather than I will, which makes it conditional rather than future I think

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi people, really appreciate all of these tips!

Is there anyone that could explain the mark scheme for the translation part of the writing paper and the role-play of the speaking for AS Spanish (think I'm on OCR...!) I don't really understand whether you're supposed to directly translate them or just use the English notes as a guide.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Also, lots of you have been putting phrases starting with 'Que...' and saying that means 'Let...' Could someone explain how this works please?
    My Spanish teacher tells us to use "Que sepa que" and "Que conozca que" to mean "You should know that". Is that a direct translation or is she just making it easy for us? (like how she only told us that 'quisiera' is subjunctive this year after years of using it :P )

ReputationRep:
    dos cervesa por favor - two beers please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan3va)
    dos cervesa por favor - two beers please
    Cervezas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fodé)
    Cervezas.
    my bad I didn't notice that i had missed the "s"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Porque que no te calas? - Spanish meme
    No es un meme espanol que yo sepa.

ReputationRep:
    Pagan justos por pecadores - It makes reference to the whole innocents always suffer.

ReputationRep:
    Just updated my above post with phrases. Have a look everyone.

ReputationRep:
    Such a good idea for a thread - especially as I've seen it just as I prepare my oral presentation

ReputationRep:
    Vine vi vencí

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.