Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    A lot of places don't accept them. They say they will be "investigated" but I don't think that means shops and bars are under any obligation to accept them, I think it just means they'll contact them to ask why they didn't accept it.

I'm not sure of the laws, but I think part of the problem is that the person serving will be held responsible if they serve someone with fake ID. Even if they really have no way of telling it's fake. I don't think these cards offer them any protection against that. Hopefully someone who knows more about it will respond.
    That makes sense I guess, but it's a bit of a shame. I doubt that it helps that anyone can start a local scheme and get the logo on their cards, uniformity and a national card more publicised would make it look more official and be more reassuring.

ReputationRep:
    The problem of mandatory ID cards is that they are mandatory - you have to carry them around all the time (as they say, "just in case"). However, when you leave your ID at home, and a police officer stops you and asks you for your ID (which you do not have at your person), you automatically become suspicious - without doing anything wrong, you are presumed to be guilty because you are not able to identify yourself with that little piece of plastic.

I hope the term "presumption of innocence" still has its weight in the western world...

As for the bars identification (and other places where you have to be over 18), it should be up to the owner of the bar whether or not is he willing to sell the given good to the customer and if he deems the identification presented (such as driver's permit/passport...) sufficient, there should be no problem. And if not, well, it is his revenue he is losing after all, and it is solely up to him whether or not to sell a good he is selling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metjush)
    As for the bars identification (and other places where you have to be over 18), it should be up to the owner of the bar whether or not is he willing to sell the given good to the customer and if he deems the identification presented (such as driver's permit/passport...) sufficient, there should be no problem. And if not, well, it is his revenue he is losing after all, and it is solely up to him whether or not to sell a good he is selling
    I agree, but I think the government should give them some kind of assurance that they won't get fined if they follow proper procedures and accept government endorsed forms of ID. The fact is a lot of the time clubs don't care how many people they turn away. On a busy night they'll easily fill up anyway, so it's in their interests to find any excuse to turn people away. It's very easy for them to say they don't accept an unusual form of ID. However if the use of something like a Citizencard became widespread and most people had one, they can't really use that as an excuse to not let people in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.