Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

xc1991 does the Texas Method Watch

ReputationRep:
    I gave you a pos rep for ditching the gloves.

ReputationRep:
    For those still reading this, I finished my last exam yesterday, so training can now resume after a two and a half week break. I haven't been to the gym for a long time, but i have been doing HIIT workouts twice a week.
    I've been eating less recently (My maintance is about 3500kcal, I was bulking on 4000kcal, but I've been cutting on 3000kcal for the past few weeks) protein consumption has gone from 210g/day when training, to around 100grams a day for the last few weeks.

I'm planning to run starting strength for a while, to get my lifts back up.

WORKOUT A: Squat 3 x 5, Bench Press 3 x 5, Deadlift 1 x 5, Dips 3 x 8, Sit ups

WORKOUT B: Squat 3 x 5, OHP 3 x 5, Barbell Rows 3 x 5, pull ups 3 x 8, sit ups

The only difference i'm going to make to Rippetoes programme is to make the midweek squat session light (90% of mondays load and 3 x 3). I'll start light and switch back to Texas Method when I can no longer add weight every session.

As for nutrition, I'm looking to carry on cutting until I reach a ~35 inch waist (36 atm), so I'm going to keep calories to a defecit at 3000-3500kcal. Progress in the gym will undoubtly be slower when cutting, but i think i'm too "fat" to bulk at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Workout A Session 1: (No gloves again)

Squats:

No bar x 10
    60 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    90 kg x 7 (near failure)

Bench Press:

Bar x 10
    80 kg x 5
    82.5 kg x 5
    82.5 kg x 7 (near failure)

Deadlift:

50 kg x 4
    80 kg x 4
    105 kg x 5

Dips:

BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 8

Situps:

Forgot to do them

Gym scales are missing for some reason, so I don't have an up to date weigh in, but I've definetly lost muscle and fat in the past 3 weeks. Squats were the hardest, i nearly toppled over on my 1st warm up rep of 60kg. Most embarrasing for me. Bench press was easy on 80 kg, so i pushed the second set to 82.5kg, going for 85kg next time. Deadlifts have suffered, I found it hard to remember the technique, so i didn't go to heavy, in any case 105kg was still enough. I didn't use gloves (makes me feel kind of naked going into a gym gloveless), and my hands are now kind of sore.
    First time I've done dips, these were fine, will use a 10kg weight belt next time.

ReputationRep:
    Workout B 1, 12:00-13:00

Barbell Row:

Bar x 8
    55 kg x 5 (easy)
    57.5 kg x 5 (still easy)
    60 kg x 12 (failure)

Squats:

30 kg x 8
    60 kg x 5
    92.5 kg x 5
    92.5 kg x 5
    92.5 kg x 6 (had another one left)

Overhead Press:

Bar x 6
    32.5 kg x 5
    47.5 kg x 5
    47.5 kg x 5 (failure)
    47.5 kg x 5 (failure)

Pull Ups

+10 kg x 8
    + 10 kg x 8 (failure)
    + 10 kg x 7 (failure)

Barbell Rows are going well, 55 kg was far too easy lol, so I jumped the weight up. Squats were difficult, I'm really shocked how they much they've dropped from 3 weeks of sloppy eating and off training. Overhead press was demanding, I may try 47.5kg again next time because technique was poor today. On another note, I may start using my creatine supply

ReputationRep:
    I started on creatine yesterday- I'm following a loading cycle for 6 days, using 25 grams creatine divided into 4 daily portions, taken with carbs. Today for example (non-training day):

9:30, wake up and have creatine with water, and whey with water, followed by 7 weetabix with milk
    13:00 4 slices of bread, tin of tuna, 1 tomatoe, inch of cucumber (aka, 2 tuna sandwhiches)
    15:15 1 slice of bread, a moderate amount of peanut butter (aka half a peanut butter sandwhich), a bannana, and a whey and creatine combined shake.
    18:00 200grams chicken (yes i'm poor), 100 gram pasta, half a pint of milk, and creatine mixed with water

If I can be bothered I'll go for a HITT session at 7:30-8pm, followed by another meal (toast, cottage cheese, creatine), and then probably just yohgurt and whey with milk before bed.

I started creatine loading yesterday evening, so I'll continue to load until Sunday Morning, before dropping to 5g a day. Creatine causes the body to retain water, so I've been drinking water like a camel lately, today I filled my 750ml bottle up 5 times already in the 9 hours i've been awake.

I can't say for sure if i'm feeling the effects, but when i tense my biceps fully, they no longer feel so hard, triceps definetly don't bulge like they used to either.

ReputationRep:
    You must be pissing 27 times a day.

ReputationRep:
    I probably piss about 20 times a day, I go after every hour of lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    You must be pissing 27 times a day.
    not that i've been counting, but i reckon i took at least 10, maybe 15 leaks yesterday

ReputationRep:
    Workout A 2:

9:30-10:30 (without gloves)

Bench Press:

bar x 10
    60 kg x 5
    85 kg x 5
    85 kg x 5
    85 kg x 7 (failure)

Squats:

bar x 8
    60 kg x 4
    95 kg x 5
    95 kg x 5
    95 kg x 7 (next rep would have been failure)

Deadlift:

60 kg x 5
    90 kg x 5
    115 kg x 5

On my work set of deads i had to switch from double overhand to alternating grip after 3 reps, also managed to scrape my knee with the bar, and have a cut underneath my left pinkie

Dips:

BW +10 kg x 8
    BW +10 kg x 8
    BW +10 kg x 8

No worries

Sit ups:

3 x 20 holding a 10 kg plate on the decline thing

My hands are really feeling sore and cut after deadlifts, and I'm definetly lifting less weight without gloves. In all probability I'm going to start using gloves again next session- don't say I didn't try.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got chalk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    Have you got chalk?
    No, never tried it. Chalk only helps with grip, it wouldn't stop my hands getting sore and cut surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xc1991)
    No, never tried it. Chalk only helps with grip, it wouldn't stop my hands getting sore and cut surely?
    That is correct.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i have felt my bench press, overhead press, deadlift and even my squats get worse without wearing gloves. maybe it's just a placebo effect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    That is correct.
    The main reason your hands get sore/callused/cut is because the bar is slipping as you lift. Chalk stops that happening so much.

ReputationRep:
    Workout B 2:

I put the gloves back on today, and lifts went up immediately.

Overhead Press:

bar x 10
    32.5 kg x 5
    50 kg x 5
    50 kg x 5
    50 kg x 8 (Failure)

Squats:

Bar x 10
    60 kg x 5
    80 kg x 2
    97.5 kg x 5
    97.5 kg x 5
    97.5 kg x 5 (I probably had another couple left in me, but I didn't go to failure seeing as I will be squatting again in 2 days and want to be recovered)

Barbell Rows:

bar x 10
    50 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5
    65 kg x 5 (Not failure)

Pull ups:

BW +12.5 kg x 8 (Lots of people staring LOL)
    BW +12.5kg x 8
    BW +12.5 kg x 8 (Failure at 8 reps, form deterioated on reps 6 and 7, still managed to get rep 8 done with good form)

Sit ups (45 degree decline bench)

BW x 30
    BW x 30
    BW x 30 (pretty much failure)

Putting the gloves back on has let me progress, and more weight means more muscle. Decent Workout.

ReputationRep:
    Workout B 3:

08:30-09:30

Bench Press:

bar x 12
    60 kg x 5
    70 kg x 3
    87.5 kg x 5
    87.5 kg x 5
    87.5 kg x 5 (did a 6th rep with the assistance of a spotter)

Squats:

bar x 10
    60 kg x 5
    80 kg x 3
    100 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5
    100 kg x 5 (not failure)

Finally back at 2 plate squats now

Deadlifts:

50 kg x 5
    90 kg x 4
    120 kg x 5 (might have had another couple of reps left)

Tricep Dips:

BW +12.5 kg x 8
    BW +12.5 kg x 8
    BW +12.5 kg x 7 (failure)

I didn't get the 3 x 8 with dips, so I'm not going to increase the weight next workout

Situps: Aborted due to sore abs

Decent sesh, bench press was more of a struggle than it ought to have been though and its nice to be squatting triple figures again.

Had far too many guys staring at me when i was squatting today, kind of off putting

Thought I'd also include todays diet:

7:20 6 weetabix, pint of milk
    8:00 creatine
    9:30 Post workout sandwhich (cheese), banna, cornflour and whey shake mixed with water
    12:45 100gram wholegrain pasta, 200gram stir fried chicken, 3/4 whole onion, 3/4 pint of milk
    15:30 1 slice of bread (all bread is of the thin wholegrain variety), 1 rasher bacon, large fried egg
    19:00 100 gram pasta, tomatoe pasta sauce, serving frozen vegetables, tin of tuna, creatine
    22:30 2 slices of bread, 3 rashers bacon, large fried egg, glass orange juice
    23:45 3/4 pint of milk, whey, peanut butter, followed by sleep at 00:00 ish

throughout day, about 4 to 5 litres of water (including workout)

Comes in at roughly 3600 kcal, 290 gram protein and 4 portions of fruit and veg

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.