Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People who joined since going to uni: Do you wish you'd been on TSR when applying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not in Uni yet but I know loads of stuff about it from TSR that my friends don't. I'm glad I'm part of this community

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Edit: Although I think people may have tried to put you off because of the risk of going into clearing without the right subjects (though I don't know how it works - could you have taken back your LSE offer if optometry failed?). But I don't think they'd have done it for the reasons you say.
    You hadn't edited when I replied.

Yes, people would have almost definitely commented on that ... and, whilst it makes sense and is something I would mention to someone in the same situation, the question is whether they'd go to LSE either way. If so, it's risky because they can't just take the offer back. If not, though, they have nothing to lose - either it works and they get in this year, or they take the gap year they would have done anyway.

I think people would have neglected to ask that question, at least some of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Well yeah, but put it this way: it could work out for you, saving you having to reapply. And if it doesn't, you were only going to reapply anyway, so nothing lost.

Anyway, didn't come to that I presume?
    No, it didn't thankfully...good point though but still

ReputationRep:
    I wish I didnt although i learnt a lot about the all application process, i realised how many super intelligent ppl are out there, and chickened out applying to the 'top' unis...

ReputationRep:
    I've become pretty active since the start of my UCAS process and I'm really glad that there are these forums to help me. This year is my tutor's first year doing UCAS, and as lovely as he is, he's pretty useless at it. TSR means I know the whole process so haven't been disadvantaged in that way.

Also, it made me look at universities in a very different way. Before, I never really realised how important the actual university you study at can be in terms of future employment, haha - aside from Oxbridge, of course, I thought that everywhere was pretty on par with each other. :rolleyes:

Saying that, it's lead me to take some risks with my university choices.. However, without TSR I definitely would have played it too safe and wouldn't have applied to places where I could study to my full potential.

ReputationRep:
    Im an applicant, i've been on TSR few days before i joined it. :mmm:
    Im desperate to get accurate answers about the UK Universities, so i left college confidential and joined TSR instead.
    This has been my facebook and everybody here is really helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A100whoo)
    I wish I didnt although i learnt a lot about the all application process, i realised how many super intelligent ppl are out there, and chickened out applying to the 'top' unis...
    Also this! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Meh. This place is full of people who think if you didn't get AAA then you failed and insist on putting their grades in their sigs. I joined way before I applied and resented the medical section. Now that I'm at uni, I find it more fun than anything.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of valuable stuff about medicine (which I'm applying for), which I wouldn't have found out by my college career advisor.

Also there are many inspirational and informative advice by medical students, which I found really helpful, as I personally don't know many medical students.

So yeah, I'm glad I joined this site, but I'm coming here too much these days.

At the moment, I'm supposed to be writing my psychology essay and here I am. :cyber:

ReputationRep:
    I've found it useful but to be honest I'm applying for a popular course and it's not easy to choose even at the best of times. Plus I knew what I was aiming for so if someone had tried to belittle me I wouldnt have cared.

In conclusion I'm way better informed than I would have been if I had talked to teachers, looked at ranking tables or prospectuses. The personal statement examples can be very useful if you know what to look for.

ReputationRep:
    I am applying now and i didn't find that TSR influenced me at all. I asked a few questions about competition etc but tbh I already knew where I was applying, even though I joined before I had to look at my choices I haven't used TSR to choose. I think a lot of people could do without some of the idiots on here who offer nothing useful to any posts etc, I used to think 18/19 year olds were mature but there are a few people on here that make me reconsider!
    On the whole though I like this site, I wouldn't say it helped me in choosing anywhere though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    LOL, they showed Cheryl doing her puffer fish impression on ITV 2!
    Did you post on the wrong thread, by any chance? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've PM'd you the story.
    I've seen you post about the LSE etc on here and wouldn't mind hearing the tale, if you don't mind .
    Thanks awfully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sendaii)
    What did you do, just out of interest?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbygreg)
    I've seen you post about the LSE etc on here and wouldn't mind hearing the tale, if you don't mind .
    Thanks awfully
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    :ditto:
    Post #7.

Seems people found it more interesting than this thread :lol: - gave up eventually and posted it. I get accused of talking too much about it, hence why I was intending to use PM instead for the odd person, and didn't really intend this thread to be about me at all ... but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this account since before my gcses, but I didn't tend to use it much, so much so that I was always posting in the wrong forums ahaha. But since starting my A levels, I use tsr a lot, it's always helpful particularly when people study the same topics or are applying for the same uni courses... but I wouldn't say tsr has influenced my decisions as I've always known what I want to do at uni and as a career.

Sometimes you do get people who try to belittle others just for not being a perfect Oxbridge candidate, which is a shame. I'm not a straight A* candidate, that's never bothered me tbh, I am happy with a russel group uni and a few A's and B's! But yeah, that's the only negative I an think of on here. the trolls can be quite funny (occasionally) but I agree with #71, so much for maturity in 18 year olds!

ReputationRep:
    Post #7.

Seems people found it more interesting than this thread :lol: - gave up eventually and posted it. I get accused of talking too much about it, hence why I was intending to use PM instead for the odd person, and didn't really intend this thread to be about me at all ... but there you go.
    Sorry, I realised shortly after :p:

I was on before I applied but due to the somewhat snobbish nature of TSR I didn't use its UCAS forums etc when applying since I knew I wanted to do primary education with SEN and what unis did it and although they might not be the best unis it's what I wanted to do and where I'm happy.

I think sometimes too much emphasis is on league tables and not on happiness, where you feel comfortable or even where does your course. Congrats on making the right decision and not going with a better league uni because of the reputation.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I had been, I think I would have done something different at uni I had absolutely no clue when I started, I have no idea why I started what I did, it didn't suit me at all!? We got absolutely no career advice at all at school so I was just guessing. I don't think I even researched the course I applied for or other possibilities before I just went and moved country to do it. So wish I had done something else and not wasted 4 years...

ReputationRep:
    I might have felt more pressurised by the n33ks, worked harder to get the better grades and go to the better uni. :dumbells: (I joined as I was starting uni, so had already applied before joining TSR). But I'm happy, so meh. So, basically I'm not fussed.

ReputationRep:
    No, I wish I'd been revising instead.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.