Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    £2,000 per month is above average?
    £24,000 a year. Yes, that's above average. Welcome to the real world.

ReputationRep:
    I see you trollin' DM :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Infact for full time people the average is more like 25000 to 31000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8151355.stm

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

That's all I can say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Infact for full time people the average is more like 25000 to 31000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8151355.stm
    Not according to wikipedia, my mistake.

She doesn't mention her husband's income however so I'd imagine that puts the figure up significantly.

Writer? Full time? Really? C'mon

ReputationRep:
    Someone please ship her to North Korea and do us all a favour

ReputationRep:
    Poverty-stricken? Hahaha.

I can't even afford heating the week before pay day, let alone buy Christmas presents.

ReputationRep:
    "I even bought another cottage as an investment"

Why dosn't she just rent it out, at least then she might be making some money rather than just have it as an 'Investment', put it to some good use whilst the house prices are down.

ReputationRep:
    Not according to wikipedia, my mistake.

She doesn't mention her husband's income however so I'd imagine that puts the figure up significantly.

Writer? Full time? Really? C'mon
    Ha its fine, this article could be wrong.. couldnt find any real statistics for 2009 or anything anyway, and any i did find for any year seemed to differ from eachother xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    No it's not a good thing. She won't be able to get what she planned on, she'll feel she has let her family down, and it'll be uncomfortable. The value of money is subjective.
    Placing the value of money over the value of kindness or family or love is never a good thing, sorry.

Also, why does having a lot seem to automatically equal spoilt? That's something that really bugs me lol. As long as you appreciate what you have, I don't see how you're spoilt? :dontknow:
    Spoil: "treat with excessive indulgence"
    Therefore having a lot that you don't need = spoilt.
    And if you don't get it, you're probably a little rich girl who is herself spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by should be revising)
    This can't be from the Daily Mail, she didn't once blame the asylum seekers.
    :lol:

(Original post by BackDoorEntry)
    Someone silence that *****.
    Stick a Harrod's carrier bag over her head?

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    And honestly, shes a writer. A profession that is well known to have poor pay for a lot of people in it. I'd imagine an awful lot of writers would love to be earning £500 a week.
    Exactly!! The average writer earns very very little (I know that the average freelance writer salary is about £5k, for example) and its only a small proportion of writers that earn the majority of the money in the writing market. Sad really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Placing the value of money over the value of kindness or family or love is never a good thing, sorry.

Spoil: "treat with excessive indulgence"
    Therefore having a lot that you don't need = spoilt.
    And if you don't get it, you're probably a little rich girl who is herself spoilt.
    Who said she was doing that? She's never said money is better than love. But it would be horrible not to have what you're used to. 'Normal' is different to everyone.

I disgaree with that a lot. Technically, we only need food and shelter. So are we all spoilt? If your parents have the money, there's nothing wrong with having those things. By your deffinition, yeah I probably am, although I personally wouldn't class myself as spoilt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    :lolwut:

That's all I can say.
    Judging by your posts you must either come from a moderate wealthy background or earn a lot yourself.

For most uni grads though they'll be earning more, but the majority of people in the UK earn about £20k - £25k. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mamba)
    Judging by your posts you must either come from a moderate wealthy background or earn a lot yourself.

For most uni grads though they'll be earning more, but the majority of people in the UK earn about £20k - £25k. Why is that so hard to comprehend?
    Lol I'm 16, I don't have a job, so yeah.

And because I've never expereinced it. Until I came on here, I thought my background was normal, until I got branded a "rah". Lol. I find it hard to believe people can live off what seems to me, so little. Where I live, everyone comes from a similar background to me, so I guess it's just what you're used to? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Ha its fine, this article could be wrong.. couldnt find any real statistics for 2009 or anything anyway, and any i did find for any year seemed to differ from eachother xD
    Tbh yours sounds about right for full time, but the actual average would take account of people who work part time so I think the lower £20,000 figures are a more accurate representation esp given that the writer has kids and possibly doesn't even work full time anyway.

I thought the demographic of the Daily Mail was more broad than just the middle classes? So there's going to be single mothers reading that for whom £500 a week would seem extremely wealthy.

Gotta say, I find .Ali.'s incredulous responses pretty funny. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Who said she was doing that? She's never said money is better than love. But it would be horrible not to have what you're used to. 'Normal' is different to everyone.

I disgaree with that a lot. Technically, we only need food and shelter. So are we all spoilt? If your parents have the money, there's nothing wrong with having those things. By your deffinition, yeah I probably am, although I personally wouldn't class myself as spoilt.
    Random example. Say a mother buys her son a DS game every couple of months. He doesn't need one, but she treats him. Is that spoiling? I'd say probably not. Now imagine another mother buys her son whichever DS game he wants regardless of whether she can afford it or not. He says he wants it, he gets it. That is spoiling. Buying every item on the child's Christmas list regardless of whether you can really afford it for the sake of "not disappointing them" is spoiling them.

Having everything you want is a bad thing because it makes children incredibly materialistic and see money and material goods as the most important things in life. You can't always have what you want in life. What an awful lesson the woman is teaching her children. Most people here never got everything or even almost everything they wanted at Christmas and did fine. Look at all the people commenting here in disgust, clearly you are in the (probably rich) minority. It's generally accepted to be a bad thing.

No, she did not say "money is better than love," but she did say that Christmas will be "hellish" because she can't afford to shop at Harrods, the Christmas food isn't top-range and she can't buy £50 ribbons and her, so it's not exactly like I'm pulling it out of thin air. For people whose lives don't revolve around money, they still have a happy time, because money isn't what they need to be happy. Love is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Lol I'm 16, I don't have a job, so yeah.

And because I've never expereinced it. Until I came on here, I thought my background was normal, until I got branded a "rah". Lol. I find it hard to believe people can live off what seems to me, so little. Where I live, everyone comes from a similar background to me, so I guess it's just what you're used to? :dontknow:
    Fair enough. I'm used to mixing with a variety of people where I live so have met people with big houses and lots of money, and visa versa also those that were struggling to eat. When I was growing up my parents were very poor, we did go through times of struggling to buy enough food, but more often it wasn't that bad (i.e. parents couldn't afford to take me out or travel or buy toys).

Now when this ***** comes on the Daily Fail and whinges about her mate or whoever not being able to buy a f-cking ipad, I want to rip my hair out at her ignorance.

Ali, you're quite young so perhaps haven't come across what it really means to be poor, but this stupid cow should know better. A real life troll. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The Woman:facepalm2:

I agree with this comment:

"Wow I would love to make only £500 a week. Perhaps handmade gifts would be in order, and perhaps you should just tell your children to expect less. My son knows we don't have a lot of money, and is prepared to take a less expensive gift. Greed has brought us all to this point, so let's teach our kids it's not about how much money you have or what possessions you have."

I usually never agree with Daily Mail comments, but this one made my heart go soft

I hope her financial situation continues to get worse and she finds out what struggling really means.

I bet her kids will turn out to be right little ****s too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [sophie])
    I don't read the Daily Fail, but I came across this article, which just makes me go :eek:.
    I'm not sure whether it's serious, but I think it must be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...E-METCALF.html

Discuss.

EDIT: Why are you neg repping me? :confused:
    I can understand. If your used to a particular lifestyle and now, no longer, it is going to be hurtful.

Saying that, I loved some of harrods food selection.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.