Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I nicked a little bit of milk and sugar from my flat mate once when I made a cuppa and the remembered I ran out, but I felt terrible and used alot less than I would have if it was my own. My food keeps going missing though, my flatmate says she clears the fridge of food that's off but I've been noticing that more and more of my food that's not put of date keeps going missing. I find the whole stealing food thing is really rude, I really feel for the OP food shopping isn't cheap and you shouldn't put up with having it stolen.

ReputationRep:
    I used some of my flatmate's olive oil once when making noodles.

Please don't judge me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Basically, I'm just wondering how many of you do this. And why? We're all in the same boat, we all have to budget for food, why do you think it's okay to eat other people's stuff?

I'm ****ing sick and tired of going to the fridge and finding that half my bacon is missing, that someone's eaten the rest of my cheese slices and left the empty packet in the fridge, that my milk is empty and someone has dared to open my goats cheese.

I've tried labelling thing, putting my name on. Writting notes saying I've sneezed over the slice of pizza that I put in there for later etc. I've tried leaving it without labels to see if it changes things, and things still disappear. Of course, nobody will own up to it.

Obviously I keep the best things in my room, like crisps, cereal, and chocolate. And anything that doesn't need to be in the fridge/freezer really.

Seriously, what will it take for people to stop helping themselves to my food?!
    How about a mini fridge?

You could get one for like £29 or something, they're quite good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodlesofpoodles)
    I nicked a little bit of milk and sugar from my flat mate once when I made a cuppa and the remembered I ran out, but I felt terrible and used alot less than I would have if it was my own. My food keeps going missing though, my flatmate says she clears the fridge of food that's off but I've been noticing that more and more of my food that's not put of date keeps going missing. I find the whole stealing food thing is really rude, I really feel for the OP food shopping isn't cheap and you shouldn't put up with having it stolen.
    Another thing I hate, when people throw out food that isnt theirs as a huge amount of time its not off as people have this crazy idea that 1 day over a sell by or use by date then somethings not fit to eat, I could have a sealed milk 2 or 3 days out of date vanish and a flatmate get arsey saying they threw it out(milk like my other posts seems to be a big thing) and I argue that it would be fine as its sealed and they give me lectures on how they are not going to risk their health because food is out of date as it will get bacteria over their food, had one whinge about how I bought reduced food on its sell by date and it would damage their food to be around it.

It doesnt matter if food is off or not unless they have like an entire fridge filled with stuff so no one else can use the fridge, they shouldnt touch other peoples food.

ReputationRep:
    I once used some milk and one egg which I later replace but other than than I've not nicked anything and I've had nothing nicked. Probably because I've been put in the boring building/flat where the parties don't even exist.

ReputationRep:
    I don't - simply because it'd annoy me if someone did it to me.
    I have three flatmates and two of them don't drink milk so me and my other flat mate just buy milk in turns for us to share same goes for butter and stuff like that.. we just share it, cause it's odds on I'm not gonna use a full tub of butter to myself in a few weeks.
    Stuff like toilet roll/kitchen roll - I provided a big bag of it at the beginning of the year from one of my relatives who works in a paper factory, so once that ran out my flatmates bought it all and said I didn't have to which was pretty nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oodlesofpoodles)
    God that would annoy me too, unless of course the food is smelling, rotting. It's not her place to tidy the fridge and throw stuff out.

I stole milk once or twice from a boy in my halls who bought 6 pints a day anyway and always told him when I next saw him. I'm not gonna lie when people went home for good I took all the food they left but I made sure they weren't even going to come back to stay one night or anything.

ReputationRep:
    Never, I feel awkward eating other people's food when I've asked/it's been offered. Suppose it's a politeness thing more than anything else. So it's just how lucky you are with the flatmates you get. Have a private word with them individually just to ask if they know whose been stealing your food, but obviously it's hard not to look like a little *****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nimeni_oana)
    i posted a note in the kitchen that said "who ever steals someone else's food,. pedobear is molesting another braincell.. please stop as there are way to many Rtards in this world ..not to mention the fact that a ninja is watching you" because somebody was and apparently still eatin my stuff ( if only they ask cuz i would not say not.. to chocolate milk/tea/milk but stealin is just pissin me off. ) .. and i tried to put some laxatives in the milk .. she/he drank it .. but nothin happened =))
    haha nice!

ReputationRep:
    Stop being passive aggressive and have a chat with all the people in your flat?

Our house was tiny and 10 of us shared last year. We bought milk/butter communally, but anything like bacon, eggs, other meat etc was off limits. I don't really think I had anything stolen, and sure as hell didn't nick other people's stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    No, never, and I really really hate people who do. This girl I'm friends with at another uni admitted that she does it like all the time and was laughing it off and now I severely dislike her purely for that. It's worse than stealing from a shop tbh.
    How?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in halls, but I never would. Completely disrespectful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clo-clo1)
    God that would annoy me too, unless of course the food is smelling, rotting. It's not her place to tidy the fridge and throw stuff out.

I stole milk once or twice from a boy in my halls who bought 6 pints a day anyway and always told him when I next saw him. I'm not gonna lie when people went home for good I took all the food they left but I made sure they weren't even going to come back to stay one night or anything.
    That reminds me of when I was in halls 3 years ago, almost every other student moved out by May, majority in April after exams and so I had the entire floor to myself.

Had a communal fridge that the cleaners decided to empty assuming people werent coming back with about £20 of my food in and when I complained to accomodation office I was told "so what"

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni yet though I don't understand why things like milk, butter and teabags/coffee can't be bought communally. Fair enough things like pizza, vegetables or chocolate being stolen would piss me off, but a drop of mill for someones tea I wouldn't mind.

ReputationRep:
    We've never had any problems with food at all, no one has eaten others
    We're all good friends anyway, and we're pretty much in the kitchen talking all the time anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    Just threaten to empty every cupboard and the contents of the fridge/freezer into the bin.

I bet you that'll stop it

ReputationRep:
    Nope I don't. The only time it's happened in my house is when a housemates friend came around and didn't know which mince was my housemates so used mine. I was a little bothered but understanding as he didn't know.

In terms of stolen food, my housemates find it funny to occassionally take all my tinned foods and bread and hide them. ¬_¬

ReputationRep:
    Its an annoyance but you develop workarounds. Only once was it a real issue with a flatmate who was at home all day while we worked/were at uni, nd he used to brazenly eat your stuff and then deny it. If you bought some chicken and froze it etc then it would disappear, or if you say got some sausages, and ate two in the morning for breakfast, and there were 6 left in the pack, there would be 2 left when you got home, and the George Foreman wouldn't even be washed!

In the end I started basically storing tins/packets etc in a bag in my room with a padlock on it, and then stopping at the pakistani supermarket on the way home from work, which sold everything, to buy the ingredients for that nights meal, and eating everything that night. It was an inconvenience but you learn how to accommodate. I kept eggs in my room hidden away, eventually I discovered a pack Id forgotten about which had all gone off, so what I started to do was, every time I bought a new pack of eggs, I'd leave it downstairs, bring the good eggs up to my room, and put the rotten ones down in the pack in my cupboard which said a best before date of a week or so in the future....but with eggs which had gone off at least 6 months earlier. One time there were two missing when I got home....broken eggshells and a curious smell emanating from the bin, so he had obviously cracked them open thinking he could cook them.

You had to keep your shampoo and everything in your room or else that would get used as well. Then one time I noticed a new Head and Shoulders for Men in the bathroom, so I said to my (non-thieving) flatmate "thats a bit risky isn't it, leaving your shampoo out". He replied "Ha don't use that mate, you know when you need to pee in the night, and cba going to the toilet so you need a bottle by your bed, well I used an empty Head and Shoulders bottle....it got full so I thought rather than tip it down the bog, I'd leave it for [the thief] to help himself to some free shampoo".

A couple of days later it had been removed from the bathroom, so our suspect had obviously been idly showering away, decided to put a squirt of someone elses shampoo on his hair, and got a handful of fermenting urine :hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    When in my own home, all the time. My sister will buy something and within an hour it’ll be pilfered by ‘somebody.’

At uni, never.

In my first year, somebody was very fond of stealing my Sainsbury’s basics chocolate mousses. So I lined one of the buggers with laxatives... And then forgot about it, and ate it myself... :facepalm2:

How I even got into uni is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't had this problem at all.
    We all have our own cupboards in the kitchen, and sections in the fridge. Also we all drink different types of milk so there's no problem there.
    Just talk to whoever's doing it and ask them to stop.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.