Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomethingWitty)
    I'm afraid you'd be wrong. Comparing courses, Imperial's Computer Science course tops all the courses at Oxbridge, and has the highest starting salary of all courses in the UK.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that on average Imperial's starting wage is higher than oxbridge even if you get rid of the 'soft artsy courses'. That's because a ridiculous amount of Imperial graduates start work in the city.
    The point is that money is not the main consideration for everyone.

I got offer for MSc in Advanced Computing at Imperial and an interview with Oxford in early January. I'm also waiting to hear back from Cambridge. I can't really decide which one I will choose if I got accepted by all three.

Imperial : it's a very very good uni, but far less prestigious abroad. I don't care about living in London, I spend my life in Paris, so I don't have the "going to the big city" excitement (even if I think it will make my life easier as I will have the same quality of life and feeling).

Oxford and Cambridge : they are so prestigious abroad. Out of my teacher no-one know about imperial, but Oxford or Cambridge everyone heard about it. The courses are very theoretical and it will be useful to go to a PhD. Collegiate system looks great and it seems to be part of a good UK university experience. I don't know if I could get use to the life in a small city.

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone knows which is more prestigious. Although in alot of places it wouldn't matter which degree you had, as they are both quite impressive.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial is exceptional of course. The teaching and usefulness of any course can be on par with that of oxbridge. It is just that IC still cannot compare with the foundation that oxbridge have laid more than 800 years.

Collegiate system is a very good system, it lets the university influence your non-academic life. You get more friends while you attend high table, May ball, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i_hate_teeth)
    Imperial graudates also have higher starting salaries than oxford graduates.
    That is true (I have seen a statistic, though I have no link), but those are average figures; I would think that science and engineering pay better than the arts, and there are a lot of artists in the figures for Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freezombie)
    That is true (I have seen a statistic, though I have no link), but those are average figures; I would think that science and engineering pay better than the arts, and there are a lot of artists in the figures for Oxford.
    UCL graduates also have a higher average starting salary than Oxford Grads.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/pdfs...ngsalaries.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone that was interested in having the highest starting salary actually choose UCL or Imperial over Oxford for the same course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RupertTheBear)
    Would anyone that was interested in having the highest starting salary actually choose UCL or Imperial over Oxford for the same course?
    Probabaly, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Probabaly, yes.
    Call me a cynic, but I doubt you would...

ReputationRep:
    Call me a cynic, but I doubt you would...
    Rupert, we're not talking about me. You asked if anyone would reject Oxford for IC or UCL based on the fact that IC and UCL graduates earn more.

I'm sure many people have done it in the past, and I don't doubt that people will do it in the future.

The fact is that graduates from LSE, UCL and Imperial all have higher average starting salaries than graduates from Oxbridge. Another fact is that, after your first job the university you attended rapidly becomes less of an issue when compared to your experiance and reputation/ past performance etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure many people have done it in the past, and I don't doubt that people will do it in the future.
    The fact is that graduates from LSE, UCL and Imperial all have higher average starting salaries than graduates from Oxbridge.
    I really don't know of anyone that has turned down Oxford because they wanted to go to Imperial or UCL and earn more money. People turn it down for other reasons.
    The table does not compare like with like. If you were to look at the prospects of two undergrads studying the same course, cet. par. the Oxford undergrad would have a certain advantage when applying to firms. Maybe it's stupid but it's true.

Another fact is that, after your first job the university you attended rapidly becomes less of an issue when compared to your experience and reputation/ past performance etc.
    Sure yeah but the question was about where you would go if you were only interested in your starting salary no?

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know of anyone that has turned down Oxford because they wanted to go to Imperial or UCL and earn more money. People turn it down for other reasons.
    The table does not compare like with like. If you were to look at the prospects of two undergrads studying the same course, cet. par. the Oxford undergrad would have a certain advantage when applying to firms. Maybe it's stupid but it's true.

Sure yeah but the question was about where you would go if you were only interested in your starting salary no?
    You're making quite a few assumptions in this post with only quasi anecdotal references to support your argument.

There are many reasons why people choose one university over another. These reasons are subjective.

The fact remains that on average, if you study at Imperial or UCL, the salary of your first job will be approx £1k-£6k higher than if you studied at Oxbridge. Whether you like it or not, it's a proven fact.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there.

After reading this topic and a few more, I still couldn't find a good enough answer to my problem. It's like this: I'm accepted for Mathematics and Computer Science (4 years) at University College Oxford (GG14) and Imperial (GG41). They're both conditional offers, and Oxford demands an 8/10 in the Romanian baccalaureate (which is very easy) and Imperial a 9.60 (which is very difficult). Still, it's very hard to decide between the two, especially since I liked Imperial very much when I went to the interview day.

So. Can anyone else give me some advice? Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IonAmb47)
    Hey there.

After reading this topic and a few more, I still couldn't find a good enough answer to my problem. It's like this: I'm accepted for Mathematics and Computer Science (4 years) at University College Oxford (GG14) and Imperial (GG41). They're both conditional offers, and Oxford demands an 8/10 in the Romanian baccalaureate (which is very easy) and Imperial a 9.60 (which is very difficult). Still, it's very hard to decide between the two, especially since I liked Imperial very much when I went to the interview day.

So. Can anyone else give me some advice? Much appreciated.
    Both are great for the course you have chosen(the same as me! ), so the quality of your education will probably be the same. The Oxford name is obviously more prestigious than the Imperial name, so you have that.

If you really do like Imperial more, than why not put it as firm and Oxford as insurance? Since Imperial wants 9.60, the probability is high that you won't make it(although I really hope you do), and then you'll have Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people I have spoken to, have said that for chemistry Oxford has probably the best chemistry department in the UK, with Imperial not far behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hindia94)
    A lot of people I have spoken to, have said that for chemistry Oxford has probably the best chemistry department in the UK, with Imperial not far behind.
    The feeling I got. If I was more inclined towards working as an industrial chemist in the future, I would probably choose Imperial over Oxford, seemed really good. As for research, Oxford. Doubt the difference is great though.

ReputationRep:
    How many top-ranking journalists and politicians can Imperial boast of, for example ?
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hindia94)

Have to say I agree on this one :P

As I got Oxford I'm obviously going to be biased in favour of Oxford, but when applying I did get offers from both and never even gave Imperial a second thought after getting the Oxford offer. I'd go as far to say you can't really comment on higher starting wages from Imperial because of the fact that most of them will probably stay and work in London, and it really annoys me how people who haven't even got into either uni yet are commenting on which is better. But to be honest if you get a first from either then you're pretty much sorted for your life....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblyjubbly)
    How many top-ranking journalists and politicians can Imperial boast of, for example ?
    The Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine

just saying.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bare-faced lie in many respects too:

1) In terms of career progression, Oxbridge degrees are FAR more valuable and Oxbridge graduates are FAR more highly represented at senior levels.

2) In terms of the most selective employers, many don't even look outside Oxbridge.

3) Starting salary is almost meaningless.

4) Imperial/LSE salaries are misleading because they don't offer arts degrees.

5) Cambridge Economics graduates command the highest salaries of any graduates in the country.

6) In terms of academic rigour, Imperial isn't even close to Oxbridge at the undergraduate level - I've seen Oxbridge dropouts coast to firsts at Imperial. Postgraduate research is another matter.

firstly, The only reason I'm responding to this post is because I have a meeting with my teacher in 15 mins and I have nothing better to do.

The salaries aren't misleading. UCL even has higher starting salaries than Oxford and UCL offers far more degrees than Oxford.

I have a friend who studied Economins at cambridge, he told me it was a waste of time, and now he owns his own business importing cigars from Cuba.

Starting salary is not meaningless by any means.

Can you produce a list of employers who don't look outside of Oxbridge? I bet you can't.

Concerning rigour..who cares, I want to graduate and get a good job and make a boatload of money I could care less which is mroe rigourous, as long as I get a good degree and get a good job etc.

You're comment about oxbridge representation at senior levels is too ambiguous for me to respond to.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bare-faced lie in many respects too:

1) In terms of career progression, Oxbridge degrees are FAR more valuable and Oxbridge graduates are FAR more highly represented at senior levels.

2) In terms of the most selective employers, many don't even look outside Oxbridge.

3) Starting salary is almost meaningless.

4) Imperial/LSE salaries are misleading because they don't offer arts degrees.

5) Cambridge Economics graduates command the highest salaries of any graduates in the country.

6) In terms of academic rigour, Imperial isn't even close to Oxbridge at the undergraduate level - I've seen Oxbridge dropouts coast to firsts at Imperial. Postgraduate research is another matter.

lol so biased
    Politicians, journalists???? Imperial is a bloody engineering university

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.