Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by a_t)
      how tall are you?
      4'11" :ahee: but I should be taller. It's complicated.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Divine Potato)
      I am a 5'4" guy and I know girls dont like short guys. Even short girls dont :sad:. I need to know what type of girls would go for a short guy. Like maybe the ones who act cute and bubbly? or shyer ones? cute girls rather than pretty girls? etc. Shall I only try it with girls 4'11"? :erm:.

I have actually measured myself but I find that ALOT of people overestimate their height. Like this girl who is the same height as my thinks she is 5'6" :p:. And one of my mates from uni is about an inch taller than me yet claims he is 5'8" :facepalm:. I didnt say anything to him when I heard it though :p:. But since every else overestimates their height, should I lie next time a girl asks me?

EDIT: I am 20 by the way .

I think guys seem to put more emphasis on the whole height thing than girls do! Sometimes I think it's just a bit of an excuse to explain why girls don't go for them, when actually it might be more of a confidence thing.
      I don't care about how tall a guy is, and definitely wouldn't rule anyone out on that basis. I'm about 5'4 as well.

I don't give a jot about stats.. don't see any need whatsoever to lie about your height! It doesn't change a thing. And do girls really ask you 'how tall are you?' when they can plainly see? Makes no sense to me.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tinywings)
      Not being physically attracted to someone is not the same as racial/sexual discrimination. You can't tell people what they should or shouldn't be attracted to. Turning someone down for a date because you find them unattractive is not the same as turning someone for a job just because they're black/a woman.
      If you're turning someone down for a date because they're short and/or have dark skin and you find those traits unattractive then subconsciously you are a racist/ have discriminatory views as you would think something as superficial as the external appearance of a human being is the pivotal factor in determining that individual's quality for being a decent husband, provider and father.

It really is one and the same. But will say otherwise because they have no rational means to justify what they're saying other than to dust their ignorance under some metaphorical carpet.

This is really no different to rejecting a black barrister because you feel they'd do an inferior job to a white barrister. You're suggesting a shorter person is less of a human being than a taller person and that's just bull**** because everybody is the same regardless. It's just ignorance that blinds us from the truth.

ReputationRep:
      Anyone who won't have you because of your height, isn't worth having at all.

ReputationRep:
      I'm 5 foot 2 and my "type" of guy has always been around 6ft - the shortest person I've ever gone out with was about 5ft 10. I always said I'd never be attracted to a short guy but the guy I like at the moment is only about 5ft 4/5 -he has an amazing personality and is good looking too so his height doesn't matter to me.
      One of my best friends is 6ft and she goes out with a guy who's 5ft3, it looks a little odd I guess but who cares, they're happy together.
      There isn't a "type" of girls that go for 5ft4 guys, people just like who they like.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Choccielatte)
      In my experience, guys who are fairly short (below my 5ft 7) tend to compensate for the height somewhere...

This is a pretty common chain of thought, actually.
      Yet women still blame short men for "compensating" when it's just about building, leading and living the life they want to live. But apparently short men aren't "allowed" to be ambitious according to women. Short men just can't win, huh?

ReputationRep:
      Also if it's not discrimination then ask yourself if you would consider swapping your height for a shorter height?

You wouldn't because you know that subconsciously other people would view you negatively or inferior because of your shorter appearance which in turn leads to prejudice and discrimination.

Discrimination isn't just based on skin colour. It's based on any factor which defines a person as an individual and which in some cases are helpless to do anything about. How can anybody justify disrciminating against somebody who is short as acceptable if they would be reviled at the prospect of somebody being disrciminated against their skin colour.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
      Get rich. (or die trying?). They'll change their tune.
      Yep, a short rich guy is a lot taller when he stands on his wallet :cool:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Divine Potato)
      I am a 5'4" guy and I know girls dont like short guys. Even short girls dont :sad:. I need to know what type of girls would go for a short guy. Like maybe the ones who act cute and bubbly? or shyer ones? cute girls rather than pretty girls? etc. Shall I only try it with girls 4'11"? :erm:.

I have actually measured myself but I find that ALOT of people overestimate their height. Like this girl who is the same height as my thinks she is 5'6" :p:. And one of my mates from uni is about an inch taller than me yet claims he is 5'8" :facepalm:. I didnt say anything to him when I heard it though :p:. But since every else overestimates their height, should I lie next time a girl asks me?

EDIT: I am 20 by the way .
      I'm 5ft6 and height is not an issue for me. Surprisingly it's hip/crotch matching that has any physical influence for me otherwise of your of sound personality (which you seem to have) and wit then i would be attracted to you.

I get attracted to a lot of oriental guys who seem to be less tall than Scottish guys but it's never a factor in attraction. :dontknow:

Good luck

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Warrior King)
      If you're turning someone down for a date because they're short and/or have dark skin and you find those traits unattractive then subconsciously you are a racist/ have discriminatory views as you would think something as superficial as the external appearance of a human being is the pivotal factor in determining that individual's quality for being a decent husband, provider and father.

It really is one and the same. But will say otherwise because they have no rational means to justify what they're saying other than to dust their ignorance under some metaphorical carpet.

This is really no different to rejecting a black barrister because you feel they'd do an inferior job to a white barrister. You're suggesting a shorter person is less of a human being than a taller person and that's just bull**** because everybody is the same regardless. It's just ignorance that blinds us from the truth.
      Then everyone must have some some sort of discriminatory views, otherwise everyone would be attracted to everyone else. Would you go out with this girl?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_J8hUpQARXP...0/UglyGirl.jpg

An extreme example perhaps. But you can't demonize people just for not being attracted to everyone regardless of what they look like. Yes, looks aren't the "pivotal factor", but some degree of physical attraction is necessary for a successful relationship, it's just human nature.

Not hiring a black barrister isn't the same thing, I don't need to be attracted to my barrister for him to do his job properly. However I do need to be attracted to someone in order to have a relationship with them. It's not necessary to be physically attracted to someone to treat them with respect.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by KingofSpades)
      I wouldn't be so sure

"I've got a new boyfriend, he is 5'7"
      "I've got a new boyfriend, he is 5'4"

When choosing boyfriends, girls often evolve upon their conception of what they think their friends might think
      "i've got a boyfriend" meet him, hes that tall"

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Warrior King)

Don't even bother. She's a heightist so she is not going to listen to any of your arguments, no matter how logical or rational they are.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mr.j)
      Yet women still blame short men for "compensating" when it's just about building, leading and living the life they want to live. But apparently short men aren't "allowed" to be ambitious according to women. Short men just can't win, huh?
      I meant "down below" :P

The "biggest" guy I've been with, was only 5ft 5 (and totally paranoid about his height as well...). It made up for the lack of height, but he didn't see it like that. He was also the best (not just cause of how well endowed he was) but of how energetic, sweet and funny he was too.

If a guy is short, with long fingers (index finger length is an indication) and big feet: he should be a shoe in with women who care about that kind of thing and who are observant.

ReputationRep:
      Question: What girls would go for a 5'4" guy

Answer: Girls below 5'4 in height (well not all of them)

ReputationRep:
      I meant "down below" :P

The "biggest" guy I've been with, was only 5ft 5 (and totally paranoid about his height as well...). It made up for the lack of height, but he didn't see it like that. He was also the best (not just cause of how well endowed he was) but of how energetic, sweet and funny he was too.
      Aha. You're a size queen then.

If a guy is short, with long fingers (index finger length is an indication) and big feet: he should be a shoe in with women who care about that kind of thing and who are observant.
      If you really believe in that bull**** then I feel sorry for you.

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mr.j)
      Don't even bother. She's a heightist so she is not going to listen to any of your arguments, no matter how logical or rational they are.
      Lol, wat? "Heightist"...really? My ex was 5ft5, boo. I've been attracted to plenty of short guys. However, I am certainly not attracted to whiney, spineless zealots.

I'm always willing to listen to logical and rational arguments. However, I don't believe I've been presented with any logical or rational arguments regarding "heightism" recently. In fact, they've all been quite hilariously illogical and irrational.

Plus I was talking about attraction in general, not just height.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mr.j)
      Aha. You're a size queen then.

If you really believe in that bull**** then I feel sorry for you.

:facepalm:

Not really.

And the index finger thing has been proven (to an extent) by scientists: http://preventdisease.com/news/artic...nis_size.shtml

There's a definite link, at any rate. The foot thing is a myth

ReputationRep:
      Not being physically attracted to someone is not the same as racial/sexual discrimination. You can't tell people what they should or shouldn't be attracted to. Turning someone down for a date because you find them unattractive is not the same as turning someone for a job just because they're black/a woman.
      So it must be true what they say about Manchester Met Students right? I.E. They're all stupid?

ReputationRep:
      If you have kids, they might be short too!

ReputationRep:
      Lol, wat? "Heightist"...really? My ex was 5ft5, boo. I've been attracted to plenty of short guys. However, I am certainly not attracted to whiney, spineless zealots.

I'm always willing to listen to logical and rational arguments. However, I don't believe I've been presented with any logical or rational arguments regarding "heightism" recently. In fact, they've all been quite hilariously illogical and irrational.

Plus I was talking about attraction in general, not just height.
      Either you can't read English or your tiny brain can't comprehend the rationale of my argument.

To be honest I'm not surprised; you study at Manchester Met University. I mean even words like logical and rational are above your level I'm impressed.

The only person whiney and spineless is you. You have been presented with rational arguments and yet you blindly ignore them. I dread to wonder what you study...infact do you people actually study at Manchester Met? Most of the time aren't you out getting pissed, sleeping with randomers and then walking into GUM clinics the next morning?

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.