Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New facebook profile style Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Best friends? Nooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinFish)
    When is the Google Social Network being released?
    Not Sure but its definitely being released.

It was supposed to be this Autumn but has been delayed, a reason why Facebook's updates have as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)

It was supposed to be this Autumn but has been delayed, a reason why Facebook's updates have as well.
    What updates? Facebook is constantly being updated. Google has nothing to do with it

ReputationRep:

I have gmail. I think you mean google buzz. I looked at it, it seems crap...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    What updates? Facebook is constantly being updated. Google has nothing to do with it
    No.

Facebook is doing a major update and change when GoogleMe is released to stop people leaving.

http://business2press.com/2010/09/20...ok-competitor/

http://www.kokeytechnology.com/googl...-facebook-cto/

Basically, Google Buzz flopped so they are now trying a new method and are planning on integrating a lot more of their other services.

GoogleMe has not been released, Google Buzz has and flopped.

Facebook will do a major overhaul when it is released so people stay with Facebook. There has even been rumours of Facebook Email integrated to fight off Gmail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    I have gmail. I think you mean google buzz. I looked at it, it seems crap...
    No. Buzz flopped.

GoogleMe hasn't been released yet and is going to be a major Facebook Rival.

ReputationRep:
    No. Buzz flopped.

GoogleMe hasn't been released yet and is going to be a major Facebook Rival.
    Just googled, googleme, looks impressive, can't wait.

I heard somewhere, that google were very keen on having BBC on board...

It will kill of facebook.

Can't wait for googleme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    Just googled, googleme, looks impressive, can't wait.

I heard somewhere, that google were very keen on having BBC on board...

It will kill of facebook.

Can't wait for googleme.
    GoogleMe is going to be a powerhouse.

I heard about iPlayer as well.

I think as Google own YouTube, I think they will run iPlayer & 4OD through that on their social network.

It could possibly mean people watching programmes together whilst chatting or updating the network.

VoIP is supposedly going to be integrated which will be great for business and world wide communication.

Gmail is going to be massive although Facebook are supposedly set to launch Facebook Email as a rival.

The competition is quite fierce and a lot of it is stemming on a number of top Google employees leaving and going to work for Facebook.

All in all, their rivalry is great for us as they will try and compete and offer more services to gain users

ReputationRep:
    No.

Facebook is doing a major update and change when GoogleMe is released to stop people leaving.

http://business2press.com/2010/09/20...ok-competitor/

http://www.kokeytechnology.com/googl...-facebook-cto/

Basically, Google Buzz flopped so they are now trying a new method and are planning on integrating a lot more of their other services.

GoogleMe has not been released, Google Buzz has and flopped.

Facebook will do a major overhaul when it is released so people stay with Facebook. There has even been rumours of Facebook Email integrated to fight off Gmail.
    I see no mention of Facebooks 'major update' in those links

ReputationRep:
    meh, ive changed to the new one, is better is it worse do i care?

ReputationRep:
    Being able to list languages you supposedly speak is going to lead to so much asshattery.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright, especially compared to some of their other recent changes. But do they insist on making all the fonts a smaller size? This complaint may stem from the fact that I need new glasses, but still.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't updated yet but from looking at the people who have, I quite like the new layout

ReputationRep:
    GoogleMe is going to be a powerhouse.

I heard about iPlayer as well.

I think as Google own YouTube, I think they will run iPlayer & 4OD through that on their social network.

It could possibly mean people watching programmes together whilst chatting or updating the network.

VoIP is supposedly going to be integrated which will be great for business and world wide communication.

Gmail is going to be massive although Facebook are supposedly set to launch Facebook Email as a rival.

The competition is quite fierce and a lot of it is stemming on a number of top Google employees leaving and going to work for Facebook.

All in all, their rivalry is great for us as they will try and compete and offer more services to gain users
    didn't know about 4od.

I know there is going to be international bbc iplayer, the bbc was going to go some deal with google.

Additionally, a new Youview box would contain google, and googletv would feature bbc.

I know there are deals going on.

This is good news. For me, Googleme.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry.

GoogleMe will be out soon and everyone will use that for a number of reasons.

1. Its going to have gmail integrated
    2. Its going to have google maps integrated
    3. its possibly going to have integration from Twitter/Facebook/eBay/Last.fm and other services. Basically the integration with Facebook will let you transfer friends and then shut down your Facebook account.
    4. It has the search engine built in
    5. Google Chrome is beast just as anything else Google create, except for Buzz.
    I don't care about any of those things.

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or are like 90% of the news feed stories now 'X likes these pages' or 'X updated their interests' and 'X and 182 other friends changed their profile picture'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I don't care about any of those things.
    More people do than don't.

ReputationRep:
    More people do than don't.
    Based on the people that know about Google Me. The vast majority of Facebook users will have no idea about it, or not care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snuzz)
    Being able to list languages you supposedly speak is going to lead to so much asshattery.
    Messy isnt it, partiuarly as its the first thing on the profile. Ive gone for 'english' and thats it! Zero asshatting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobo06)
    Based on the people that know about Google Me. The vast majority of Facebook users will have no idea about it, or not care.
    more people will know about it - obviously google will market it more publicly before launch.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.