The Student Room Group

Eczema

Scroll to see replies

I feel like I got lucky now when I was younger. The GPs I saw were absolutely useless and just handed me creams that worked as long as I used them but as soon as I stopped my eczema flared up twice as bad.

Take it not many people trust in alternative treatments. The
Homeopathic treatment mixed with the herbalist treatment I got completely cleared up my eczema. The only thing I really have left to show of it is extremely dry, itchy skin.

So to everyone who has used cream after cream actually give homeopathy a go, it can work really well. And if nothing else is working what have you got to lose.
Reply 61
I have had it since I was quite young and still get it on my hands, it's not helped by my OCD and hand washing but I would really recommend conotrane cream and Simple Derma Intensive Relief, they both work wonders on my hands.
Reply 62
Think it was overlooked in my first post....

Abido cream really was a miracle cure and would advise it. It sounds crazy and usually i wouldnt promote things like that - dont think you can get it prescribed but again depends how desperate you are. My mum brought it me once and made me try it and it cleared up my whole body in less than a week. Ive just googled it and they seem to make a big deal of it in forums and stuff, but when i applied it wow - its like hydrating but not greasy... it sorta gel flakey skin together until i showered and revealed clean, normal colour skin underneath.

also - if your skin is constantly flaring it could be that you are in constant contact with allergens - a particular common one is house dust mites - i hoover my room twice a week just for peace of mind and its important to have clean bedsheets - change them regularly - it might seem hassle but when results come its worth it.

good luck :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by bunty64
aveeno is a good moisturiser (something to do with the oat extract;natural moisturiser) Problem with eczema is the natural barrier of the skin breaks down and open to irritants and loss of moisture.

all trial and error really. go through a whole list and stick to the one whcih suits you best.

google: purenuffstuff. Natural skin care range (without all the chemicals which aggrevate/cause these types of skin problems.
The care range for eczema/psoriasis is meant to be good.

Thanks im on that website now, looks interesting. I think i might try the eczema cream and see how it goes. I really don't want to use all those creams from the doctor im scared i'll get wrinkly before my time lol.

Have you tried shea butter i heard that's meant to be good, I was a little worried about using that with my nut allergy but it contains it in the aveeno creams and its fine.

Im also planing on trialling the Dream cream by lush, I love trial and error :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by Simbarashe
Think it was overlooked in my first post....

Abido cream really was a miracle cure and would advise it. It sounds crazy and usually i wouldnt promote things like that - dont think you can get it prescribed but again depends how desperate you are. My mum brought it me once and made me try it and it cleared up my whole body in less than a week. Ive just googled it and they seem to make a big deal of it in forums and stuff, but when i applied it wow - its like hydrating but not greasy... it sorta gel flakey skin together until i showered and revealed clean, normal colour skin underneath.

also - if your skin is constantly flaring it could be that you are in constant contact with allergens - a particular common one is house dust mites - i hoover my room twice a week just for peace of mind and its important to have clean bedsheets - change them regularly - it might seem hassle but when results come its worth it.

good luck :smile:

I heard some things about that cream on eczemavoice about abido - some think it may be linked to Wau Wa which has been found to be harmful. But Im not too sure it may be just due to the pharmaceutics companies wanting us to stick to there beloved cortisone treatments.
Reply 65
Thats the feeling i got. Everything (literally) seems to be harmful
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=269512464297
As far as i can see - ive used relatively little its like a tiny lil tub
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=260700353994
I'm very cautious as regards to by skin (body is a temple and all that)... but it does seem like a lot of corporate scare mongering to me aha. 5***** from me tho.
Original post by ArtemisRose
So to everyone who has used cream after cream actually give homeopathy a go, it can work really well. And if nothing else is working what have you got to lose.

Money and a small chunk of your time each day. You'd get the same effect if someone you trusted gave you vials of tap water with CURES ECZEMA written on it each day.

I recall a couple in Australia giving homeopathic treatment to their baby daughter (who had roughly the same condition as me) and her dieing slowly and painfully as a result of not getting any real medicine.

If a placebo can do it for you, I recommend picking a free one. I recall the placebo effect can work even if you know it's a placebo, so telling yourself that smiles and hugs will make your eczema better probably will.

No it can't.

What have you got to lose? : http://www.smh.com.au/national/parents-guilty-of-manslaughter-over-daughters-eczema-death-20090605-bxvx.html
Original post by meowmeowmutiny
Money and a small chunk of your time each day. You'd get the same effect if someone you trusted gave you vials of tap water with CURES ECZEMA written on it each day.

I recall a couple in Australia giving homeopathic treatment to their baby daughter (who had roughly the same condition as me) and her dieing slowly and painfully as a result of not getting any real medicine.

If a placebo can do it for you, I recommend picking a free one. I recall the placebo effect can work even if you know it's a placebo, so telling yourself that smiles and hugs will make your eczema better probably will.

Well everyone has different viewpoints on the matter. Homeopathy can be a good thing but it can also be a bad thing. I went to the guy once, he gave me medicine, told me to take it every day and what do you know my eczema cleared up. This was when I was 8, ten years later I'm practically eczema free, with a few flare ups when I eat a lot of junk but nothing to the level I had it.

Maybe it was just a "placebo" or maybe it actually treated my eczema. All I know is I went to a homeopath, I took what I was given and the result was my eczema was gone. Looking back I'm glad my mum took me to a homeopath, otherwise I would still probably be using steroids every single day.

Homeopathic treatment was a last resort when I got it and it worked but I would never replace my GP with a homeopath. That's not what I'm saying at all but sometimes alternative treatments can work.

Also my sister as well as a few of my cousins have eczema. My sister was never taken to a homeopath, and she still has pretty bad eczema on her arms and behind her knees. She got treated by a GP.

My cousin's eczema was as bad as mines was, she used steroids given to her by the GP, her eczema is still as bad as mine was when I was a child.

So I wouldn't say homeopathy is the worst thing in the world, it's when people don't use it cautiously it can become the worst thing in the world.
Well everyone has different viewpoints on the matter. Homeopathy can be a good thing but it can also be a bad thing. I went to the guy once, he gave me medicine, told me to take it every day and what do you know my eczema cleared up. This was when I was 8, ten years later I'm practically eczema free, with a few flare ups when I eat a lot of junk but nothing to the level I had it.

Maybe it was just a "placebo" or maybe it actually treated my eczema. All I know is I went to a homeopath, I took what I was given and the result was my eczema was gone. Looking back I'm glad my mum took me to a homeopath, otherwise I would still probably be using steroids every single day.

Homeopathic treatment was a last resort when I got it and it worked but I would never replace my GP with a homeopath. That's not what I'm saying at all but sometimes alternative treatments can work.

Also my sister as well as a few of my cousins have eczema. My sister was never taken to a homeopath, and she still has pretty bad eczema on her arms and behind her knees. She got treated by a GP.

My cousin's eczema was as bad as mines was, she used steroids given to her by the GP, her eczema is still as bad as mine was when I was a child.

So I wouldn't say homeopathy is the worst thing in the world, it's when people don't use it cautiously it can become the worst thing in the world.

Homeopathic medicines are so dilute that you are just taking pure water. It's just a placebo.
Reply 70
I had it pretty bad on my hands when I was younger; like it would get so bad, that my skin would dry up so much that it would break open and begin to bleed :frown: A chinese medicine did the trick however...can't remember the name but it was a blue and white tube...very small in size

In recent years, I've had some dryness under my eyes.....don't know if it's eczema or not but consistent use of e45 (or vaseline during the night) seems to keep it from getting worse and as long as its moisturised, you can hardly tell!
Reply 71
Homeopathic medicines are so dilute that you are just taking pure water. It's just a placebo.

there are some scientists who claim that drinking water (ionized water?) can help reduce/cure eczema and a whole host of other diseases. All to do with the acidic/alkaline balance of the body.....
Original post by bunty64
there are some scientists who claim that drinking water (ionized water?) can help reduce/cure eczema and a whole host of other diseases. All to do with the acidic/alkaline balance of the body.....

I get the feeling that these scientists are probably not real scientists, and that they've probably not got much in the way of evidence or backing from the scientific community.
I had eczema when I was little and it got really bad a few years ago. I was prescribed a lot of bath stuff and steroid creams which were useless. I then got eczema in on my scalp and I was prescribed some horrible steroid stuff which stung like hell. I now use this beautifully thick prescribed moisturiser called Diprobase all over my body after a shower and then use steroid cream on any small flare ups I get.

I noticed that my skin really hated cheap washing powder used on clothing and bed sheets, and my mum now uses stuff developed specifically for babies. However, I think the main thing that has helped though is using natural products such as those from Lush (http://www.lush.co.uk/). Dream Cream and Sympathy for the Skin are gorgeous body creams, and the shampoos are really lovely. The soaps and shower gels are just amazing! You really need to check them out :smile:.

The main thing I've found to control my eczema however it just not stressing out about stuff. When my eczema flared up badly, my boyfriend at the time was being a dick, and things at school were pretty crappy. You need to ensure that everything in your personal life is good before you can even consider sorting out your eczema.
Reply 74
I get the feeling that these scientists are probably not real scientists, and that they've probably not got much in the way of evidence or backing from the scientific community.

No they are "real scientists" (degrees in various sciences/publications etc), both medical doctors and research scientists in Japan discovered the process of ionising water (late 50s) but only recently has the research intensified into the benefits of drinking ionised water. No doubt, there are many sceptics, but there is apparently a following in american for alkaline ionised water.
Reply 75

No they are "real scientists" (degrees in various sciences/publications etc), both medical doctors and research scientists in Japan discovered the process of ionising water (late 50s) but only recently has the research intensified into the benefits of drinking ionised water. No doubt, there are many sceptics, but there is apparently a following in america for alkaline ionised water.
Original post by bunty64
No they are "real scientists" (degrees in various sciences/publications etc), both medical doctors and research scientists in Japan discovered the process of ionising water (late 50s) but only recently has the research intensified into the benefits of drinking ionised water. No doubt, there are many sceptics, but there is apparently a following in america for alkaline ionised water.

Scientists can claim pretty much anything, but unless they have reliable studies to show for it it doesn't mean much.

Quick Reply

Latest