Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Desert island books- complete works of ONE writer. Watch

(Original post by hobnob)
      And that's a good thing?:erm:
      Yes, it's very very good. Every time I go to a bookshop and see another of his books that I haven't read I get my hopes up

ReputationRep:
      My choice would be all the works of Charles Dickens.

For

1. Vast output, if I get the novels, the speeches, the published letters etc it will while away a very long period.

2. His character portraits are amusing and vivid.

3. Illustrations will at least give me some pictures.

4. In the main the happy endings will cheer me up.

5. One of the best authors to read in front of an open fire. If I have any fire on the island it will be open.

6. The Christmas stories and the ghost stories always entertain on a dark evening.

7. Pantomime villains.

8. I have not yet read all the novels.

9. As the "Mystery of Edwin Drood " is unfinished, once I have had say thirty years of reading only Dickens I will be the perfect person, if rescued, to finish the book in the style of Dickens.

Against

1. Portrayal of leading female characters generally simpering.

2. Plots somewhat contrived, to say the least.

Having said the above, given I am getting a Bible maybe I should take Milton's works instead, I would have the time to track down all the biblical references in "Paradise Lost" I missed first time around.

ReputationRep:
      Stephen King

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mighty Moe)
      Stephen King
      Ah you beat me to it!

I'd be stuck between Stephen King and J. K. Rowling simply because I haven't read the Harry Potter books in ages. I'd probably read them pretty quickly though.

ReputationRep:
      C. S. Lewis

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mighty Moe)
      Stephen King
      On a desert island all by yourself? I'd be too scared

ReputationRep:
      Complete works of Plato.

ReputationRep:
      Jane Austen! All her works and I'd be a happy man.

ReputationRep:
      Although I've only read Mrs Dalloway, listened to a few clips of her reading her own essays and am about to embark upon To the Lighthouse, I would probably say Virginia Woolf.

ReputationRep:
      Victor Hugo, preferably in english.

ReputationRep:
      William Boyd - only read two of his novels, but they were bloody brilliant.

I've still got many to get through.

I think we should be given all of Dickens and Hardy for free as well.

ReputationRep:
      Probably Fitzgerald. In fact, just my lovely copy of 'Flappers and Philosophers', with the really nice dust jacket, would do me.

ReputationRep:
      Maybe Margaret Atwood- she's written 30+ books, poems and essays. I reckon she's pretty easy to read and I like her writing style (judging from The Handmaids Tale). At least if I pick someone I haven't read much of, the stories will have the element of surprise??

ReputationRep:
      I hesitate to say the works of Sylvia Plath, while they would make for interesting reading I'm quite likely to feel depressed at the end of it, especially being stranded on a desert island alone. So I'd go for Edgar Allan Poe.

ReputationRep:
      I would pick George Orwell. Pretty big output and good mixture of Fiction and non-fiction. Plus I still haven't read his earlier novels like coming up for air.

ReputationRep:
      Er, obviously RL Stine (of Goosebumps fame).

ReputationRep:
      I really have no idea. I don't have a favourite author at all - in fact I rarely read more than one book by the same author unless it's a series. When I do, I tend to end up disappointed. For example, I really liked James Patterson books so bought a few but soon realised the plots are all the same and very, very predictable.

So yeah, not sure at all..

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LeSacMagique)
      Probably Fitzgerald. In fact, just my copy of 'Flappers and Philosophers', with the really nice dust jacket, would do me.
      I have totally changed my mind to Christopher Marlowe now.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.