Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Found out the guy I like smokes/takes the occasional pill on nights out... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Lol.

You are aware that the "gateway drug" theory has been disproved many times, and is also completely subjective and therefore isn't so much the drugs' fault as it is the person using it... right?

Recent studies blah. Blah. Blah. Did you know that studies also show that there have been hardly any reported/documented cases on deaths from most hallucinogenics? PCP being an obvious exceptions, but that's PCP for you.

"occasional recreational drugs have lead to so many problems from HIV to unwanted kids to the mundane"
    I smoke weed a lot. I don't have HIV or unwanted kids. I fact, I have a really good time whilst I'm off my tits. I laugh a lot, for instance. A deeply contemplate the universe.
    Sure, I could do both of those things whilst sober, but weed helps to enhance the experience beyond the normal call of duty that sobriety would be able to produce.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is... you chat a lot of bull-**** :yy:

"Please, bad trips on shrooms and ex have lead to people committing murder"

Source? Because as far as I'm aware, no-one has ever killed anyone while on shrooms. PCP, yes. Shrooms, mescaline, even LSD... no.
    Can I ask why some claim that smoking weed will make you more likely to have HIV? Obviously a lot of those who smoke weed move on to stronger drugs, and if you start injecting stuff into your veins, you'll be a lot more likable to get HIV. But is there any research that says those who only smoke weed are more likely to have HIV? As long as you're never near needles and use protection I would imagine you're fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Lollo*)
    Can I ask why some claim that smoking weed will make you more likely to have HIV? Obviously a lot of those who smoke weed move on to stronger drugs, and if you start injecting stuff into your veins, you'll be a lot more likable to get HIV. But is there any research that says those who only smoke weed are more likely to have HIV? As long as you're never near needles and use protection I would imagine you're fine?
    Because they're full of anti-drugs bull-****. That's all there is to it. sXe types who think they know much more than they actually do because they've "read something on the Internet". The people that spread that sort of propaganda are the "holier than thou" people who have never done drugs, yet feel the need to hate upon those who have expanded their horizons (and their minds :teehee: ).

You're far more likely to get hepatitis as opposed to HIV from using intravenous methods anyway...

Addressing the bolded bit: Wrong wrong wrong wrong WRONG! I swear some people never listen to anything I say. Re-read the first (maybe it was the second, idk) point I made in the post you quoted.

Edit: It was the first point, not the second. The second point addresses hallucinogenics.

I should probably address your actual question as opposed to being an arse-hat. My apologies, I've had a rough day, and the anti-drugs brigade seem to be on the rise on TSR, which has pissed me off no end.
    No, you cannot get HIV from smoking weed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by axhdn)
    you suggested that her viewpoint was in some way rational and not entirely based on fiction, so in a few ways you agreed with her. also your advice is not the best. there are facts of life, such as smoking, that some people need to accept, rather than be lead by fear. you can see the immaturity the op has as she approached the concept in a completely fearful way. theres a reason this guy does the occasional pill. its not cos hes a ticking time bomb. if he did it every weekend that would be a different story. he does it because its fun and safe to consume if done so responsibly. rationalising your fear on the basis of overdoses is just as paranoid. people with self control do not overdose. people who overdose do so because they have destructive personalities due to self esteem or other personal issues. had the drugs not been available they would have destroyed themselves by a different means. you cannot let the examples set by the weak govern your opinion on a certain topic. i bet you never thought to yourself, 'im not gonna try and get to uni because that homeless guy i saw on the street failed in life, therefore everybody fails at life and becomes homeless' have you? no! because it would be completely irrational and ridiculous and not a reflection of reality. but its also because you are set examples by the strong, like your family and your inspirations. you dont often hear about the guys that do drugs safely, because theres nothing to write about, no fear mongering story to spin. use your brains guys come on. and dont even get me started on cigarettes.
    I agree with you completely, but it can be summarized as: There is no reason to assume illegal drugs are more dangerous or beneficial than legal drugs as legality has only a very minimal link to health consequences (positive or negative).

What I'd be worried about would be that he could become addicted to the nicotine and start smoking when not drunk as well. It would move from only smoking when drunk, to only smoking when having a drink (i.e. oh look I've had a couple of pints I'm allowed to smoke now) to becoming a 'proper' smoker. I think this because 3 of my friends started smoking like that.

(Original post by edd360)
    How about instead of being a selfish little ***** and trying to impose your beliefs onto him, you back the **** off and let him do what he wants? Who cares if you don't like smoking, don't turn something which is YOUR problem into someone else's problem. If you have a problem with it, you have to deal with it. Find someone who doesn't smoke, or learn to accept people for who they are.
    ***** got told :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Depends what kind of pill it is. Some pills are pretty harmless. Some pills are baaad. Personally I see nothing wrong with an occasional pill as long as the habit doesn't spill over into other areas of life.

ReputationRep:
    Major LOL'ing at all the retards here who seem to think doing drugs is a great idea, try speaking to families who've had children die from drug abuse, or mentally affected by drug abuse, or even had their daughters raped by people with date-rape drugs. Yes, drugs are so so clever.

EDIT: And before I get some bull**** about how I know nothing about drugs and am paraphrasing this all from the net, I know people in all 3 situations. Sometimes all it takes is one time. And before people start going on about how bad alcohol is as a drug, believe me I don't condone excessive binge drinking either as I know from personal experience what utter devastation it can cause a family.

(Original post by natashapt)
    Major LOL'ing at all the retards here who seem to think doing drugs is a great idea, try speaking to families who've had children die from drug abuse, or mentally affected by drug abuse, or even had their daughters raped by people with date-rape drugs. Yes, drugs are so so clever.

EDIT: And before I get some bull**** about how I know nothing about drugs and am paraphrasing this all from the net, I know people in all 3 situations. Sometimes all it takes is one time. And before people start going on about how bad alcohol is as a drug, believe me I don't condone excessive binge drinking either as I know from personal experience what utter devastation it can cause a family.
    as far as I am aware, no-one in this thread has defended the use of date rape drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I was pretty shocked to be honest(more about the pill)! We had a very temporary thing ages ago and he did none of these things. I met him on a night out and he smokes whilst drinking(although when I said I didn't like it, said 'well put it this way, if I was around you more that would stop) - and told me he and his friends had taken a pill earlier in the night. I wouldn't have even noticed.

I really like him, he cares about me a lot and we get on well, and it's developing into something more now, but honestly that isn't my kind of thing at all, not to mention I want to kiss him but hate doing it when he smokes. It must be something he's just started doing because I've known him a long time and it seems recent. What would you do? :confused:
    "If I was around you more that would stop"? What a tool; I'd never change myself because of a girl's whim, especially not one who seems as precious as you. Sorry to be blunt.

ReputationRep:
    as far as I am aware, no-one in this thread has defended the use of date rape drugs
    I didn't say they had, but everyone seems to think drugs are harmless and "no biggie", they're a type of drug, and any type of drug you take can be laced with anything. I was merely just stating how ANY type of drug can have a potentially harmful and severe effect on somebody's life, be it someone who thinks they are innocently using weed as a relaxant, or someone who uses drugs with a more malicious intent.

ReputationRep:
    Dear god it could be worse

I guess different things bother different people, I'd barely bat an eyelid at this but try and get it into perspective OP!

ReputationRep:
    If it bothers you then leave him. Personally I wouldn go out with someone that took pills, even if it was occasional.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a naive child, get over it

ReputationRep:
    "I think I better leave right now,
    I'm feeling weaker and weaker.."

And the rest of that stupid song. Get over it - few pills, nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Purple Hills.

ReputationRep:

You clearly need to differentiate between drug use and drug abuse, whether you're talking about illegal drugs or alcohol. No one things drug abuse is a good idea unless they're a retard, but plenty of people think drug use is. Stop and think before you post.

ReputationRep:
    Would you want your daughter going out wiht someone who takes pills?
    God no. I swear if I ever found out that they had been doing pills by god, they would feel my wrath. Have you heard what they're calling pills nowadays as well? Disgusting things like Aspirin and Paracetamol. Makes me sick to think people are taking pills, it really does.

Your comment is a joke. So I replied with one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reflexive)
    You clearly need to differentiate between drug use and drug abuse, whether you're talking about illegal drugs or alcohol. No one things drug abuse is a good idea unless they're a retard, but plenty of people think drug use is. Stop and think before you post.
    Use and abuse, same thing. Either way you're harming yourself. This is my opinion and you're entitled to yours, but you cannot tell me I'm wrong, as this is only my opinion and judgement on the matter. I don't think drug use is right from people I know around me, yet I know some people will go through life using drugs and it will never affect them in the way it affects some unlucky people. I just wish some of the lucky ones could see what the unlucky ones do encounter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    God no. I swear if I ever found out that they had been doing pills by god, they would feel my wrath. Have you heard what they're calling pills nowadays as well? Disgusting things like Aspirin and Paracetamol. Makes me sick to think people are taking pills, it really does.

Your comment is a joke. So I replied with one.
    So what you're saying is you basically would let your daughter go out with someone that did drugs? Seeing as you took the matter so lightly. pah.

ReputationRep:

Doing drugs isn't a 'great idea', it's just not a bad one. They aren't as bad as idiots like yourself make out. Is it so hard to accept that some people prefer to take different drugs to you? It's hardly shocking that out of the thousands of people we each have a connection to 1 has died or gotten mental health problems, drugs or no drugs.

I'm pretty sure the one in the date rape situation just drank too much. I'm also pretty sure you need to have a disposition to get mental health problems from taking drugs - meaning they were probably going to get ill any way. And finally i'm sure those you know who have died from drug abuse wouldn't have died were the drugs legal where they could know what they were taking and what the dose was - as almost all drugs (heroin aside) are safer than alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Doing drugs isn't a 'great idea', it's just not a bad one. They aren't as bad as idiots like yourself make out. Is it so hard to accept that some people prefer to take different drugs to you? It's hardly shocking that out of the thousands of people we each have a connection to 1 has died or gotten mental health problems, drugs or no drugs.

I'm pretty sure the one in the date rape situation just drank too much. I'm also pretty sure you need to have a disposition to get mental health problems from taking drugs - meaning they were probably going to get ill any way. And finally i'm sure those you know who have died from drug abuse wouldn't have died were the drugs legal where they could know what they were taking and what the dose was - as almost all drugs (heroin aside) are safer than alcohol.
    It's so funny how you can easily argue every situation when you have no knowledge on the matters in hand. And for one, how dare you call me an idiot when you don't know me or have never spoken to me before this post? You're entitled to your opinion on drugs, and I am entitled to mine. The one in the date rape situation certainly did not drink too much, seeing as she was driving that night and not drinking, so before you assume things that you're "pretty sure" of, try and consider the alternatives. And another thing, the person I know who died from drug abuse, died from legal drug abuse, my father died from drinking too much and choking on his own vomit after passing out in the middle of the street. So if anyone knows about drug abuse, or use for that fact seeing as he wasn't born an alcoholic, is me. So before you get on your high horse and give me a lecture about how safe "drugs" are, you're not safe from any drug if you become stuck in it's clutches and addicted to it. As I said, i'm entitled to my opinion and you, yours, but you have no right to call me an idiot just for merely stating how bad an affect drugs can have on people's lives.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 7, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.