The Student Room Group

Girl having sex with 10 guys in a week is same as guy having 10 girls in one week?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Mann18
Male-Male=Legend
Male-Female= Slag

Female-Male= Player
Female= Female= Slag

But women think the same about men. So we can't say it is male-female.

but a woman thinking a man is a player isn't a good thing, it's not like "oh dude you're such a playa!" it's more like "he's a player and i couldn't trust him and he might be full of diseases"... that's what i meant before.

i doubt there's many women who'd think a guy was a ledgend cause he got with 10 girls in a week.
Reply 61
Original post by black_mamba
Actually being promiscuous and mixing up the gene pool of your offspring is a positive thing, evolution-wise. Contraception means we can replicate this behaviour without actually getting pregnant, just like men sow their invisble seeds by shagging around more but not actually doing so to make women pregnant.

Anyway, good luck queenorivers. I've been arguing the case you're arguing here in this thread but the only argument some guys had against me were to make stuff up about me. I gave up in the end. It's just pointless. Most people are so judgemental about female sexuality. Sad but true... :s-smilie:

I think otherwise.

Thinking back to when we had just arrived on the scene, women were not hunter-gatherers, and had to rely on men to "help" them somewhat with food and protection. If it was uncertain that a child was their own, the defence/security of the female would be uncertain. So really, knowing that a child was your own meant that you didn't waste time on randomer's children.

I have not studied human evolution at all however, and if you know that what I have said is incorrect, I apologise profusely and retract everything. It just seems logical that that is how things went down.
Reply 62
Original post by Bellissima
but a woman thinking a man is a player isn't a good thing, it's not like "oh dude you're such a playa!" it's more like "he's a player and i couldn't trust him and he might be full of diseases"... that's what i meant before.

i doubt there's many women who'd think a guy was a ledgend cause he got with 10 girls in a week.

That's what I meant.
Sorry, I perhaps should have said:

Male-Male= Positive
Male-Female= Negative

Female-Female= Negative
Female-Male= Negative.
Reply 63
Original post by queenorivers
And I apologise for reiterating that the fault lies with BOTH genders :smile:

We're cool, goodnight.
Reply 64
Original post by Mann18
My offer of a reason would be that to determine who the father of a child would be if the woman became pregnant.

Do not shout about condoms to me. Simply, the body does not know it has a condom on, or it would not "waste" semen. Chemicals are still released into the brain, ect. For a woman to be promiscuous has both sociological and evolutionary disadvantages.

I think in the future, the ideas behind sex will change. But only in the last sort of 50 years has sex become "safe" and generally free from the risk of pregnancy with the correct methodology. Give it time, and women will be given the same freedoms as men.

However, I think you're looking at this through very feminist glasses.

If a man has sex with 10 women in a week, a lot of men would think something like "legend." A much much smaller section of men would think "Man-whore/equivalent." What would a woman think? I don't know.

If a woman has sex with 10 men in a week, a lot of men would think "slag." A smaller section of men would think "free spirit/equivalent." Women on the other hand would quite universally I believe, think "slag." The problem is not with men only. You need to sort out affairs on your own side, before attempting to change our conceptions. I believe the fact that women would take this view is both evolutionary and sociologically grounded, perhaps they "take umbrage" with the idea that the woman has increased her potential of conceiving (again, chemically) or just that such acts are not befitting of whatever "women" are.

The argument that "ease" has a role, I think is one with some merit, but I think there probably is no one over-riding reason, so to look for one is futile.

Constructed well enough for you?

I agree completely with what you said. I think the two ladies aren't getting the point you want to put across.
Original post by Mann18
I think otherwise.

Thinking back to when we had just arrived on the scene, women were not hunter-gatherers, and had to rely on men to "help" them somewhat with food and protection. If it was uncertain that a child was their own, the defence/security of the female would be uncertain. So really, knowing that a child was your own meant that you didn't waste time on randomer's children.

I have not studied human evolution at all however, and if you know that what I have said is incorrect, I apologise profusely and retract everything. It just seems logical that that is how things went down.

I didn't mean it in terms of who will look after the children, just in terms of having a better mixture of genetics will probably result in a bigger chance of the children having a wider variety of characteristics later in life. For example if all the kids were short and fat, and short kids grew up to be short fat waddly adults easily beaten down by some kick ass stone age leapord (:biggrin:) then their gene pool is screwed. If the kids were a variety of heights/body shapes etc then more chance that some will survive.

Variety is very very useful to evolution in general. Again same as you I don't know if this is accurate, but it's a good argument and makes sense to me at least.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 66
I didn't mean it in terms of who will look after the children, just in terms of having a better mixture of genetics will probably result in a bigger chance of the children having a wider variety of characteristics later in life. For example if all the kids were short and fat, and short kids grew up to be short fat waddly adults easily beaten down by some kick ass stone age leapord (:biggrin:) then their gene pool is screwed. If the kids were a variety of heights/body shapes etc then more chance that some will survive.

Variety is very very useful to evoluntion in general. Again same as you I don't know if this is accurate, but it's a good argument and makes sense to me at least.

What you describe is what I believe is called "gene diversity."

I took Biology at A-Level, but can't for the life of me remember what I learnt about it. I normally would research it a little and get back to you, but I'm quite tired. I hope you don't think this is me ducking out, even though it sort of is. If you'd like to continue this at a later date, I'd be more than willing, just not right now :p:

EDIT: But I can say something about it not really mattering though. Gene diversity can be achieved by having sex with someone different from yourself only, and then carrying that child through to birth. Having sex with many men would not increase the diversity of the child.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Mann18
EDIT: But I can say something about it not really mattering though. Gene diversity can be achieved by having sex with someone different from yourself only, and then carrying that child through to birth. Having sex with many men would not increase the diversity of the child.

That's exactly why I said we replicate the behaviour that would give rise to gene diversity, but slightly modified for our own pleasures - the same argument behind why men sleep around and then defend it using the 'sowing their seeds' argument when they're not even getting all these women pregnant.

I think it's all bullcrap anyway, for both genders. I think using evolutionary biology to explain modern day behaviours is stupid.

To be continued.
Reply 68
That's exactly why I said we replicate the behaviour that would give rise to gene diversity, but slightly modified for our own pleasures - the same argument behind why men sleep around and then defend it using the 'sowing their seeds' argument when they're not even getting all these women pregnant.

I think it's all bullcrap anyway, for both genders. I think using evolutionary biology to explain modern day behaviours is stupid.

To be continued.

Ok, I decided to reply immediately.

It seems as though genetic diversity is not linked to evolution in the way you suggest. Firstly, suggesting that animals mate with the member of their species least like them is incorrect. It's likely that early woman selected her mate based on his physical strength. Genetic diversity means the amount of variation within a species, and it is an important thing, as the greater the diversity, the more likely a species is to survive a disaster (like disease lets say.)

It is (from what I gather) a by-product of reproduction, not evolutionarily driven. So it seems to say having sex with lots of people in order to increase variation is insane, logically this is true unless all the people you had sex with were varied in their alleles. It is true that more sex = greater chance of conception, and it's possible that I'm overestimating the relationships of early humans, so perhaps it's not evolutionarily explainable. It may be however, so I'll bring it up. I do not think it's bull crap, it seems to make a lot of sense, and to say using evolutionary biology to explain modern day events is stupid I think is rather presumptuous, seeing as the behaviour of many animals is determined by exactly this.

It may turn out to be a social reason, but if it is a social reason, I'm quite sure you'll be able to trace it's roots back to evolution, for instance, I'm quite inclined to change my theory of evolution doing this, to it being a result of social engineering inspired by evolution:

Since the DNA test and the birth control pill didn’t exist until recently, there were no reliable ways to prevent pregnancy or prove parentage for most of human history. For this reason society developed a vested interest in preventing promiscuity among women, and society accomplished this by creating the slut stigma. And even though the creation of birth control and DNA tests have made this less of a risk than the past, longstanding traditions and customs are not easy for society to break so the slut stigma remains.

I also quite like how girls always seem to be angry at this, when it is rather their own problem, if girls thought that promiscuous girls were "legends/eqiuvalent"
the problem would be balanced.

One website I found with some quite good ideas behind the reasons for this is: http://therawness.com/why-its-worse-for-women-to-sleep-around/

A raft of information/speculation from that website I suppose:

Spoiler

I feel I should add, I don't agree with the social hypocrisy.
Reply 69
many people are going to ask this question

"why is it seen acceptable for men to sleep around with ++ girls while its seen as slaggy for women to do the same it's so unfair!!"

and the real answer is this --> men are suited to having multiple partners, dating wayyy back from evolution where men constantly had 10 or even 100/1000 + partners, and they chose the best out of the pack, it didnt change back then and it hasnt changed now

as for the other gender, women have to be much more considerate when it comes to sex, where as men can result in possible STI if they're having a lot of sex with new partners, women have the issue of a pregnancy possibility as well as the STI, thus meaning they should really be more careful in who they sleep with

can it be possible for one girl to sleep with 10 men in one week? it all depends on how she's feeling, if she has control of her life, if the men have high-self esteem and are good "mates", etc, but i see no reason for it not being acceptable other than some possible ugly side effects

edit: that being said, at any class, any age, any gender group, a woman claiming to have slept with 10+ men in one week is going to cause her social status to shoot to flames, its just how it works.
(edited 13 years ago)
Just remember, anal sex doesnt count towards your tally.
As long as they're both using protection and she's taking the necessary steps to avoid pregnancy (in a situation were she can't know and trust a guy then that's her responsibility unless she wants to get caught out). But they're both rather odd.
Reply 72
A key which fits into many locks is a useful key. I lock which fits many keys is a useless lock.

Promiscuous!
"A 2008 US university study of international promiscuity found that British people are the most promiscuous in the industrialized world. The study measured one-night stands, attitudes to casual sex, and number of sexual partners."
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 74
Original post by Bellissima
morally, socially etc.

yes or no?

Yet another of these threads. Funny how females always want to discuss this double standard and not the tons of double standards that go against men - because there are a lot more double standards against men than against women.
Reply 75
Original post by Mann18
That's what I meant.
Sorry, I perhaps should have said:

Male-Male= Positive
Male-Female= Negative

Female-Female= Negative
Female-Male= Negative.

I disagree. If one of my mates slept with 10 girls in a week I would assume he was having some kind of early mid-life crisis/mental breakdown and needed to up his dose of happy pills. I certainly wouldn't be impressed (probably because I'm not 15 years old).
Reply 76
I think people just have to accept that these gender differences exist, and yes it's not fair but it's just the way the world works. I don't think it's right either way, however I would probably be more shocked at a female doing that just because we're wired differently to men and are not ruled by our crotches (well the majority of women anyway).
Reply 77
Original post by py0alb
I disagree. If one of my mates slept with 10 girls in a week I would assume he was having some kind of early mid-life crisis/mental breakdown and needed to up his dose of happy pills. I certainly wouldn't be impressed (probably because I'm not 15 years old).

I too wouldn't think very highly of him, I'm just putting across the generally accepted viewpoint.

But you raise a good point, it may not be "OK" for a guy to do this anymore.
Reply 78
Original post by yvonnay
I think people just have to accept that these gender differences exist, and yes it's not fair but it's just the way the world works. I don't think it's right either way, however I would probably be more shocked at a female doing that just because we're wired differently to men and are not ruled by our crotches (well the majority of women anyway).

I don't see why we just have to accept it at all. It's completely bigoted and sexist. You may not have a problem about that, but I'm not willing to accept it for a minute.
Reply 79
No, for the guy that's an achievment

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending