Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ever read a book and thought, "What?!" Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doloroushazy)
    it depends! I really liked a Clockwork Orange and Kallocain and 1984, I think they're both as terrifying as each other. oh, and brave new world! could you recommend me more of the latter?!
    Oh good question. Let's see.

Jennifer Government
    Neuromancer
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
    We
    Never Let Me Go

That's a good start

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    yes, catcher in the rye. more as to confusion of why i had wasted my time.
    i didnt understand that book either. everyone seems to think its great but i just didnt get it

ReputationRep:
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was actually difficult for me to read it was so "WHUT?"

And The Beach was a bit strange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markrush)
    Oh good question. Let's see.

Jennifer Government
    Neuromancer
    Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
    We
    Never Let Me Go

That's a good start
    Ah i loved Never Let Me Go! have you read any more of Ishiguro? I saw him speak at the City Hall a few months ago, he was so..composed. Apparently Remains of the Day is really good.
    I've wanted to read We for a while! i'll have to get myself to the library, i always end up with ridiculously overdue books and then I'm terrified to go back in case they ban me or something..

ReputationRep:
    William S Burroughs, The Ticket That Exploded.

I appear to be one of the few people in the world that can understand Burroughs on first reading. This I feel is not good.
    Lol, no, it's probably not. You're not on heroin yourself are you? Naked Lunch was definitely my what?! book.

ReputationRep:
    Ah i loved Never Let Me Go! have you read any more of Ishiguro? I saw him speak at the City Hall a few months ago, he was so..composed. Apparently Remains of the Day is really good.
    I've wanted to read We for a while! i'll have to get myself to the library, i always end up with ridiculously overdue books and then I'm terrified to go back in case they ban me or something..
    Oh I would be terrible with library books. Online and weirdly HMV are very very cheap. Not reas Remains of the Day yet. Curious by The Unconsoled though, the prospect sounds good, but is it really as bad as people have said.

I would love to watch him speak. I think that Never Let Me Go will be a top 5 classic in a few decades. The movie will without doubt cement that place.

(Original post by laut_biru)
    Lol, no, it's probably not. You're not on heroin yourself are you? Naked Lunch was definitely my what?! book.
    Last time I checked nope . Up until last month I would have said Naked Lunch, but The Ticket That Exploded took it to a new level of "really?"

Did you read Burrows for pleasure or study?

ReputationRep:
    Oh I would be terrible with library books. Online and weirdly HMV are very very cheap. Not reas Remains of the Day yet. Curious by The Unconsoled though, the prospect sounds good, but is it really as bad as people have said.

I would love to watch him speak. I think that Never Let Me Go will be a top 5 classic in a few decades. The movie will without doubt cement that place.

Last time I checked nope . Up until last month I would have said Naked Lunch, but The Ticket That Exploded took it to a new level of "really?"

Did you read Burrows for pleasure or study?
    Pleasure, oddly enough. A friend lent it to me, because we found ourselves discussing ****ed up books, and he was like 'I can not finish it', so well, I just had to. Also resulted in reading Lolita. I assume that The Ticket That Exploded also has no discernable plot, and also, how on earth does it manage to be weirder than (and guys, you probably don't want to read this )

Spoiler:
    Show
    'please let me hang you, please please please' 'No!' 'Pllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaa aaassse' 'oh, ok then' *girl hangs boy, and sucks off his erection* 'Hmm, I'm hungry' *girl proceeds to eat boy, ****-first*

Unrelated: Never Let Me Go is really awesome, if a little slow moving. Didn't make me go what?! though. I think my other What?! books are Tropic of Capricorn (in such a bad way) and Kafka on the Shore (in such a good way).

ReputationRep:
    I love the end of 1984! Soul crushing! But I'm also a fan of dystopian fiction ah...

I tried to read the Brothers Karamazov about a year ago because I am a pretentious **** and read about three pages, I think the sheer width of the book put me off..
    :zomg: What? That's my favourite book of all time :pierre: I love Dostoevsky :cry2:

Also

Reading Philosophy in the Bedroom when you are thirteen is not a good idea. It'll **** you up badly :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laut_biru)
    Pleasure, oddly enough. A friend lent it to me, because we found ourselves discussing ****ed up books, and he was like 'I can not finish it', so well, I just had to. Also resulted in reading Lolita. I assume that The Ticket That Exploded also has no discernable plot, and also, how on earth does it manage to be weirder than (and guys, you probably don't want to read this )

Spoiler:
    Show
    'please let me hang you, please please please' 'No!' 'Pllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaa aaassse' 'oh, ok then' *girl hangs boy, and sucks off his erection* 'Hmm, I'm hungry' *girl proceeds to eat boy, ****-first*

Unrelated: Never Let Me Go is really awesome, if a little slow moving. Didn't make me go what?! though. I think my other What?! books are Tropic of Capricorn (in such a bad way) and Kafka on the Shore (in such a good way).
    Good point that we got a bit sidetracked from "What" books.

You are totally right about the plot. I worked it out, but it wasn't simple. I am still unsure is he amazing or was he just a weird and disturbed writer, both? I cannot remember off the top of my head now but imagine how much Naked Lunch takes a normal book to the next level of sexual and bodily whoa, I honestly thought that Ticket took Naked Lunch just as far again. I tried to write a spoiler as well just but I cannot express it. Just using the words isn't enough without his context.

Glad you enjoyed it, I also did. But it was different. It was the enjoyment of a clearly intelligent writer who could really look at society and show or shock us.

ReputationRep:
    The bible!

ReputationRep:
    Good point that we got a bit sidetracked from "What" books.

You are totally right about the plot. I worked it out, but it wasn't simple. I am still unsure is he amazing or was he just a weird and disturbed writer, both? I cannot remember off the top of my head now but imagine how much Naked Lunch takes a normal book to the next level of sexual and bodily whoa, I honestly thought that Ticket took Naked Lunch just as far again. I tried to write a spoiler as well just but I cannot express it. Just using the words isn't enough without his context.

Glad you enjoyed it, I also did. But it was different. It was the enjoyment of a clearly intelligent writer who could really look at society and show or shock us.
    Seems to me like I'm going to be reading some more Burrough's, getting more 'wtf, why are you reading that ****?' reactions, and being rather weirded out.

I think both for amazing or disturbed. I also think there's probably not a better warning out there when it comes to taking heroin.

ReputationRep:
    Mr Men

confusing ****

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
      Lol, you should see my philosophy reading tbh.

Was reading a book this morning called, 'For Marx', which talks about how this bloke Althusser "designates the mutation in the theoretical problematic contemporary with the foundation of a scientific discipline". :lolwut:
      Unfortunately there's enough of that crap that it isn't a "What?!" any more. It's more likely to cause eye-rolling than confusion or surprise.

ReputationRep:
      A Clockwork Orange is the first and only book that comes to mind.

(Original post by Addzter)
        Parts of 1984 had me scratching my head, but the overall plot I understood.
        Ah, my dissertation book. Still like it despite discussing and analysing it to death. Have you read any other utopian/dystopian novels?

ReputationRep:
        Descartes discourse on method, and Rousseau discourse on inequality :lolwut: That and Albert Camus The Outsider. . .

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Una Cerveza, Por Favor)
        i didnt understand that book either. everyone seems to think its great but i just didnt get it
        It's not great. . . but I don't see what there is to not understand?

I wrote two essays on that book last year :p:

ReputationRep:
        Every Anthropology ethnography I have ever been assigned!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
        Ah, my dissertation book. Still like it despite discussing and analysing it to death. Have you read any other utopian/dystopian novels?
        I haven't, no. Could you recommend any? I quite enjoyed 1984.

ReputationRep:
        Breaking Dawn. HOW does a vampire who has NO BLOOD in his body get a girl pregnant? My understanding is that to get a girl pregnant, you would need an erection, which is a rush of blood to the penis no? HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE??? ohhh it annoys me so much.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 13, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.