Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Daddy might get you a pony instead/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summergirl.x)
    No no, I would just get negged more if I said what it was
    Well I'm quite bad at parking.. so maybe a tank wouldn't be the best choice.. where would I park it? :/ Heck, it probably wouldn't even fit down our lane.
    Well there'll be no neg from me, infact, i'll pos you to show those neg senders.

Where would you park it you say, on top of other cars of course! and if it doesn't fit, obliterate the sides of your lane(no euphemism intended)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Longjohnson)
    That is just as stupid as saying it makes the body dirty

lrn2diesel
    im afraid i have to tell u have to try harder with regards to the statement youve made in your last quote.

look, this is what a mechanic told me, i am not exagerating, this is actually what the mechanic told me and not 1 but 2. hence i am offering my opinion or the knowledge ive got to her. and it is completely up to her to decide whether to take or not to take my advice.

but ill tell you whats stupid, its stupid from you to start getting offensive on different people's opinions - this is my opinion and nobody can say im wrong - it would be completely ok for you to say - u know what mate, i dont agree with u for this and that reason - but its completely idiotic and arrogant to say that my statement is stupid. besides, how do you know what car im talking about? maybe some car engines do get dirtier from diesel? wouldnt this mean that my statement is NOT as stupid as saying it makes the body dirty?

it would be nice of you to not reply at all and not get on my nerves with your stupid comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vahik92)
    im afraid i have to tell u have to try harder with regards to the statement youve made in your last quote.

look, this is what a mechanic told me, i am not exagerating, this is actually what the mechanic told me and not 1 but 2. hence i am offering my opinion or the knowledge ive got to her. and it is completely up to her to decide whether to take or not to take my advice.

but ill tell you whats stupid, its stupid from you to start getting offensive on different people's opinions - this is my opinion and nobody can say im wrong - it would be completely ok for you to say - u know what mate, i dont agree with u for this and that reason - but its completely idiotic and arrogant to say that my statement is stupid. besides, how do you know what car im talking about? maybe some car engines do get dirtier from diesel? wouldnt this mean that my statement is NOT as stupid as saying it makes the body dirty?

it would be nice of you to not reply at all and not get on my nerves with your stupid comments
    You are right, the oil film and diesel residue from raw diesel and burnt diesel attracts dirt, so you get a dirtier areas of the car, usually around the filler and tailpipes. And if there are any leaks. Petrol evaporates, diesel does not so you can get a horrific mess.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    I really like the VW Polo. =) I'd get a Toyota Yaris though =P

I'm learning in a Hyundai i20, it's quite nice but it's small. So you probably wouldn't want one of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1F2R3)
    I can... http://wallpapers-diq.com/wallpapers...lack_Paint.jpg

that is the link anyway.

I am in the same position as you, I am insured on a business policy... therefore I can drive anything regardless.

I could of had something like a Corsa VXR, but why would I? I was 17 when I got my car, its all about having an underpowered go-kart such as a Corsa, Mini, Swift or Golf...

Get an XC90 when you're older.
    My friend's mum has that car though.. not with all the racer looks but it's still a VW Golf..
    I don't want a Corsa.. :/ They remind me of first cars. Like I said I'm going for something different

(Original post by 1992LP)
    Because it is a very powerful car for an inexperienced driver and you would probably not be able to control it.

I am not being patronising, but the temptation is there and sooner or later you would cave and put your foot down, then god knows what would happen.

By the way, the Range Rover is the king of the 4x4 world. Not the sport, the proper one.

Stick to something smaller and less powerful
    I guess.. :/ But I normally am really good, I've been up to 100mph on the motorway once and slowed right down as soon as I noticed. Never been higher than 80 since - and that's only a very straight new empty dual carriage way.

(Original post by gbduo)
    Ummm, I wouldn't get an Alfa, reliability has come a long way but it is still pretty poor, so it has come from piss poor to poor. If you want an Alfa, it is a toy not a daily drive.

How about a Maxda MX-5? Best roadster ever made, rear wheel drive, quite girly and pretty nippy if you get the 2ltr and your Dad will like it. Or any other 2 seater convertible!

I think insurance and company car tax would be massive though. You need to ask your Dad how much he is willing to spend on the company car. There must be some form of limit on the Company insurance for a start and the amount of tax he is willing to pay...
    What do you mean by reliability? Like it just suddenly stops?

That mazda thing sounded great until you said 2 seater.. :/ It kinda needs to be 4 seats for practicality reasons..

Dad never tells me how much is willing to spend on anything :') Because he knows I'll go for the most expensive. He justs lets me suggest and then he'll shoot them down..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    You are right, the oil film and diesel residue from raw diesel and burnt diesel attracts dirt, so you get a dirtier areas of the car, usually around the filler and tailpipes. And if there are any leaks. Petrol evaporates, diesel does not so you can get a horrific mess.
    thanks! this proves more that that guy should try harder!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Something_Ironic)
    Well there'll be no neg from me, infact, i'll pos you to show those neg senders.

Where would you park it you say, on top of other cars of course! and if it doesn't fit, obliterate the sides of your lane(no euphemism intended)..
    aha thanks, but your pos doesn't mean anything, you've only got one gem but tahh anyway lol.

aha loving the optimism with this idea (Y) You should maybe put it to dragons den? Buying the old army tanks cheap and selling them on? It could be a new car make?

ReputationRep:

What do you mean by reliability? Like it just suddenly stops?

That mazda thing sounded great until you said 2 seater.. :/ It kinda needs to be 4 seats for practicality reasons..

Dad never tells me how much is willing to spend on anything :') Because he knows I'll go for the most expensive. He justs lets me suggest and then he'll shoot them down..
    Well Alfa's are notorious for not starting and being generally unreliable. They are much better than they were, but they are still not that dependable on.

Do you like the idea of a convertible?

Well i think you should ask him to give you a budget, like a price range, otherwise we are choosing from thousands of cars here!

ReputationRep:
    Get something small safe and slow, you cant handle a XC90 yet !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Are you having a laugh?! A 2 ltr DIESEL is a powerful car?! It barely scrapes over 150hp! I think most people can control that amount of power. Plus it has the usual BMW drivers aids.

You would be safer in a 320d than a Corsa or other eurobox!
    Would you seriously let an inexperenced driver behind the wheel of a car that has rear wheel drive, has 181 bhp, 280 lb-ft, and does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and will go all the way to 146 mph?

Whatever way you look at it, that is a very fast car for a 17 year old. Plus the low profile tyres and rear wheel drive will be a challange in the wet, snow and ice.

So no, I am not having a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Well Alfa's are notorious for not starting and being generally unreliable. They are much better than they were, but they are still not that dependable on.

Do you like the idea of a convertible?

Well i think you should ask him to give you a budget, like a price range, otherwise we are choosing from thousands of cars here!
    My dad has had 2 alfas, the one he has at the moment is a brera and it has never broke down yet, neither did his old one. He's had his brera 3 years now. Plus if it's a company car, will it really matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Would you seriously let an inexperenced driver behind the wheel of a car that has rear wheel drive, has 181 bhp, 280 lb-ft, and does 0-60 in 7.3 seconds and will go all the way to 146 mph?

Whatever way you look at it, that is a very fast car for a 17 year old. Plus the low profile tyres and rear wheel drive will be a challange in the wet, snow and ice.

So no, I am not having a laugh.
    Traction control.

It also has proper brakes and good safety features.

The rear end is controllable in the wet, you just have to be gentle, she is a girl, girls are on the whole very cautious. So yes, I would trust a girl with that amount of power. A young man however, not so sure.

ReputationRep:
    aha thanks, but your pos doesn't mean anything, you've only got one gem but tahh anyway lol.

aha loving the optimism with this idea (Y) You should maybe put it to dragons den? Buying the old army tanks cheap and selling them on? It could be a new car make?
    Haha ah yes, many people totally miss my sarcasm and assume im being a bit mean or something. Tis the thought that counts i guess/hope lol

I might just do that! That way, i could bribe people for pos rep with the investment money. Great plan tbh. The new Volkswagon Tank v12.4 lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    My dad has had 2 alfas, the one he has at the moment is a brera and it has never broke down yet, neither did his old one. He's had his brera 3 years now. Plus it's a company car, will it really matter.
    Can you find the Alfa Romeo in this list?

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

And look at the Alfa 156!

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/4

Rating, poor. Average cost of repair, £430! They don't have the Brera there but to try and argue that Alfa's are reliable is a little silly! They never have been and won't be. They are a great drivers car, and an enthusiasts car don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but they are not statistically very reliable.

I would love to have a Brera, they are very pretty and a good drive, but the problems with them are well documented.

I mean a quick google search revealed this:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...periences.html

Ok a majority of happy owners, but the small and annoying problems are not far behind, and small and annoying on a enthusiasts forum? That is code for huge problems for a non-enthusiast.

If you expect complete trouble free motoring from a Alfa you are in for a little bit of a surprise I think. Not to say that your Dad's cars are not trouble-free at all, but Alfa is not consistant in its build quality, and that is a major problem still.

If I was looking for a car, that is one of the things I look for, reliability and dependability, whether it is a company car or not, you want the ruddy thing to start and not have creaks and squeeks in the morning!

Hence why I got an S2k because its a Honda and you don't have these problems.

Alfa's have character and beauty for sure, but they are not well built cars on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Traction control.

It also has proper brakes and good safety features.

The rear end is controllable in the wet, you just have to be gentle, she is a girl, girls are on the whole very cautious. So yes, I would trust a girl with that amount of power. A young man however, not so sure.
    Still doesn't get around the fact that all you have to do is floor it, and before you know it you are in serious trouble.

Doesn't matter if it is a girl or a guy. Out of 12 male drivers and 14 female drivers that are my age and have passed their driving test, the female drivers have had considerably more accidents than the male ones. 2 male drivers have had crashes - one serious, one not so serious, and 6 female drivers have had crashes, 4 serious and 2 not so serious.

Regardless of sex, all young drivers can be overcome by temptation and end up in a bad situation.

Why not just play it safe, get some experience, and drive a faster car later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Can you find the Alfa Romeo in this list?

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/top-100

And look at the Alfa 156!

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/4

Rating, poor. Average cost of repair, £430! They don't have the Brera there but to try and argue that Alfa's are reliable is a little silly! They never have been and won't be. They are a great drivers car, and an enthusiasts car don't get me wrong, they are beautiful, but they are not statistically very reliable.

I would love to have a Brera, they are very pretty and a good drive, but the problems with them are well documented.

I mean a quick google search revealed this:-

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/poll-...periences.html

Ok a majority of happy owners, but the small and annoying problems are not far behind, and small and annoying on a enthusiasts forum? That is code for huge problems for a non-enthusiast.

If you expect complete trouble free motoring from a Alfa you are in for a little bit of a surprise I think. Not to say that your Dad's cars are not trouble-free at all, but Alfa is not consistant in its build quality, and that is a major problem still.

If I was looking for a car, that is one of the things I look for, reliability and dependability, whether it is a company car or not, you want the ruddy thing to start and not have creaks and squeeks in the morning!

Hence why I got an S2k because its a Honda and you don't have these problems.

Alfa's have character and beauty for sure, but they are not well built cars on the whole.
    Well who needs well built cars anyway, that's boring. You want a car with some issues. A little volatility adds spice to the relationship. Kind of like going out with a supermodel. Great to look, but will probably drive you insane.

Lol in honesty, yeah you are right. You don't go for alfas on reliability. And my dads may have had a problem with it's alarm. But it was easily fixed.
    As for the s2000, one of the best cars ever made. It truly defines racing car and reliability. Although the interior is a bit guff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law123mus)
    Well who needs well built cars anyway, that's boring. You want a car with some issues. A little volatility adds spice to the relationship. Kind of like going out with a supermodel. Great to look, but will probably drive you insane.

Lol in honesty, yeah you are right. You don't go for alfas on reliability. And my dads may have had a problem with it's alarm. But it was easily fixed.
    As for the s2000, one of the best cars ever made. It truly defines racing car and reliability. Although the interior is a bit guff.
    Is it? I thought it was alright, its functional, red leather and drivers position is sublime. Although you don't buy a S2k for the interior, lol! And thanks for the compliment about the car, I am sure Daisy (my car name) will be honoured when i tell her in the morning! I have to talk to her on cold mornings to get her to wake up and change gear, everything is a little cold and enjoyed being stationary! haha!

Aye, you cannot argue that Alfa's are not the prettiest cars on the road, the Brera is just :drool:

Was very tempted, but I need a reliable daily drive. I will get one and put it in the garage as a second or third, maybe fourth car, haha!

Alfa is the car equivalent to a Ducati! Mind you, Ferrari's, Lambos and other Italian stuff is hardly reliable either! Lol!

I work on Italian built cruise ships as an engineer...if the Italians cannot build a car, imagine what a £500million ship is like!

ReputationRep:

What about a WHITE diesel BMW 1 series coupe, like 120d or something.
    Its not too big, its fuel efficient. it looks expensive and white is sooo in right now.
    oh and also it suits girls aswell as guys!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeh and to all the people suggesting corsas, polos and micras, did you not hear the girl, she said it doesnt matter how much it costs aslong as its fuel efficient etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.