Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eurovision Song Contest 2011 Society Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm excited and watching out for Serbia, it's a very weirdly catchy song! although I always love their entries..

ReputationRep:
    Love eurovision cos of the mixture in culture and the vast display of talent throughout Europe (btw y is russia ther? lol) its nice 2 c the way countries would represent themselves via music!

NOW THE UK! i think we have hope this year... BLUE are well known in Europe... the music is catchy but ther idea that its all about vocals is BS! eurovision is about being camp! is about the display the way you represent the lyrics and the song visually! the stage needs colour, bangs, fireworks etc! i would not usually watch performances like that BUT during eurovision tht is wot goes! lets just hope everything works!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be voting for Jedward

ReputationRep:
    The singer for Sweden sounds incredibly nasal. It's quite bad. My favourites are Switzerland and Serbia. I love the 60s throw back Serbia are doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillyhl)
    The singer for Sweden sounds incredibly nasal. It's quite bad. My favourites are Switzerland and Serbia. I love the 60s throw back Serbia are doing.
    off topic, but i could watch that little movie in your sig for hours lol

ReputationRep:
    Why was I not aware of this utterly fantastic thread? :holmes: Either way, Norway or Denmark to win, tah.

(Original post by Cicerao)
    What's all the buzz about Hungary?! *doesn't get it*
    AMEN. I imagine it'll suck live as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomH999)
    off topic, but i could watch that little movie in your sig for hours lol
    The joys of senorgif xD It's so addictive.

After listening to all the songs properly I will update my favourites, they are: Turkey, Switzerland, Bosnia Herzegovina, Iceland, Serbia, Romania, France and Italy. There a quite a lot of good ones this year.

I'm also intrigued by Hungary and Azerbaijan, although the dude in Azerbaijan has the biggest baby face of the competition.

Oh and look out for Croatia, they have some dubstep :P

ReputationRep:
    EUROVISION > EVERYTHING

I feel no shame. :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that it was better when it was just a massive piss-take, and you got stuff like this that was mad and completely hilarious but still quite talented too.

I spent the whole of Eurovision 2007 crying with laughter.

I'll still watch it, maybe with friends and get a bit drunk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    I always thought that it was better when it was just a massive piss-take, and you got stuff like this that was mad and completely hilarious but still quite talented too.

I spent the whole of Eurovision 2007 crying with laughter.

I'll still watch it, maybe with friends and get a bit drunk.

It still is, last year we had a french guy singing hip-hop, epic sax guy, ours *facepalm* a double sided piano, lithuanian guys stripping... what more could you want :eek:
    I think i have that song downloaded..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    It still is, last year we had a french guy singing hip-hop, epic sax guy, ours *facepalm* a double sided piano, lithuanian guys stripping... what more could you want :eek:
    I think i have that song downloaded..
    I know, but... I dunno, maybe it was just funnier when I was younger

I want that song so much! It's just so catchy.

ReputationRep:
    I'll try not to forget to watch it this year. It was hilarious last year. Actually as always.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its just me, but I'd love to see Jedward do well. They were made for Eurovision .

Nobody could replace Alexander Rybak from 2009 in my heart though

ReputationRep:
    I love Swedens and Slovenia's her voice is amazing . I love Blue's one I reckon they'll do well they are already known around Europe and have been promoting the song. I think Jedward might do ok.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be happy as long as we don't come last or get 'nil points'. In saying that, I would be so amused if Jedward got more points than Blue!

I'm quite looking forward to seeing it this year, purely because we know 2 of the acts this year (instead of our entry just being complete randomers)

I've heard Jedward are really panicking because Brits aren't allowed to vote for them in the semi-final so they are wondering how they're going to get votes

ReputationRep:
    According to various UK betting sites, the top favourites are as follows:

France
    Estonia
    UK
    Hungary
    Sweden
    Bosnia & Herzegovina

..in that order.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised Estonia is so high up by the betting site's estimations. In the live performance they are shouting more than singing. I would have thought that Azerbaijan would be high up as well, not that I like it but it seems to be quite popular on youtube.

I've finally made my mind up and I will most probably vote for Turkey in the semi final we can vote for and then Bosnia and Herzegovina in the final, providing they make it into the final.

ReputationRep:
    When is Eurovision this year? Can't wait

ReputationRep:
    Hade be Turkiye!

I know who I'm backing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cantstop-x)
    When is Eurovision this year? Can't wait
    First Semi final is on the 10th of May, second semi is on the 12th and the final on the 14th

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.