Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    I think most people accept there has to be cuts, but an 80% reduction in teaching grant and a tripling of fees is completely unacceptable.

Other people should pay as the whole economy benefits from graduates, not just graduates themselves.
    The government trapped itself by promising that they would cut the deficit mainly with spending cuts, so they can't raise taxes on anyone.

ReputationRep:
    The saddest thing about all this is that with the 80% cuts, this hike in fees won't even mean paying more for a better quality degree or more contact time at Uni, just keeping the norm or even slipping into a worse state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    Circulate this!

http://www.factsonfees.com/
    Just a few points...

Myth 3 - Unless the new system is designed to collect less in repayments per person than the system (which would seem silly) how can I be not be better off under the old system?

Myth 4 - How is paying a loan for more than a standard mortgage length (25 years) so it continues until you're 52 or 56-57 in the case of people entering science careers not equivalent to 'forever'?

Myth 5 - Surely if graduates earn £100,000 more (sic) over their lifetime they pay earn the Treasury £40,000 approx more in tax than a non-graduate?

Myth 10 - Why would a graduate tax make the poor pay more and the rich less? why would the tax be levied at income above the personal threshold rather than say £38,000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GraceOfSpades)
    The saddest thing about all this is that with the 80% cuts, this hike in fees won't even mean paying more for a better quality degree or more contact time at Uni, just keeping the norm or even slipping into a worse state.
    80% cuts source?

ReputationRep:
    Time to cross the Channel I guess. Free communist Universities waiting in France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolaangel)
    Not if you're doing a medical degree.I'm guessing medical degrees will be £9000 because they are the most expensive degrees and most people will not be deterred by the money because of the nature of medicine.

Accounting for the fact that NHS bursaries may no longer pay for your last year, the debt just including fees and accommodation (estimated £4000 a year) for a 5 year course would be £65000 for a five year course and £78000 for 6 years.

:mad:
    I'm a medic, looking at £45000 worth under the current system.

But a medical degree cost's £250,000 per student to provide! So combine that with the fact that you've got the best graduate prospects of any degree and have the best 'value added' by your degree in terms of life time earnings you can't really complain.

It's art students I feel sorry for, who may not get the value of their degree back in terms of the additional earnings over just having done A-levels. Mind you, less chance of them earning £21,000 straightaway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighestKungFu)
    This debate reminds me of the infamous quote by Judge Sturgess:-

"Justice is open to everyone in the same way as the Ritz hotel."

'Justice' is now synonymous with 'education' in this case.
    You can avoid paying at the Ritz if you don't have the cash? Sweet.

ReputationRep:
    Its like David Cameron Says:

The poor can't pay therefore they will get help however the rich can pay...

What aout us middle income families?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Just a few points...

Myth 3 - Unless the new system is designed to collect less in repayments per person than the system (which would seem silly) how can I be not be better off under the old system?

Myth 4 - How is paying a loan for more than a standard mortgage length (25 years) so it continues until you're 52 or 56-57 in the case of people entering science careers not equivalent to 'forever'?

Myth 5 - Surely if graduates earn £100,000 more (sic) over their lifetime they pay earn the Treasury £40,000 approx more in tax than a non-graduate?

Myth 10 - Why would a graduate tax make the poor pay more and the rich less? why would the tax be levied at income above the personal threshold rather than say £38,000?

I'd go with the silly option on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz666)

Help with what?

If the rich pay early then they pay more via an early repayment penalty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    80% cuts source?
    It was a key recommendation of the Browne Review and is the basis for the model of fees that is proposed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ish90an)
    You can avoid paying at the Ritz if you don't have the cash? Sweet.
    Pretty good response lol but I suppose you could set up a 'tab' that you'll have to pay back later (with interest) .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz666)

The middle class can pay. You're not on the poverty line. 'Rich' is considered anyone earning over 30k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haychee)
    The middle class can pay. You're not on the poverty line. 'Rich' is considered anyone earning over 30k.
    Which needs to be changed/assessed better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butane)
    Fact - Johnny Dosser who parties every night and comes out with a 3rd and ends up in a dead end job pays sweet FA back for his costly education, yet someone else on the same course (read same cost of education) works his *******s off to get a 1st, jumps into a well paid career on graduation and gets ****ed for tens of thousands of tuition fees + interest by the government, not to mention his higher rate income tax. Great system.
    Well if you're in a well paying job (at least £21,000) a year, your going to be paying back £7 a week, I really dont get what the big deal is

ReputationRep:
    Still the biggest question of all has yet to be properly answered by any politician. Who exactly will be charging £9000 because if one of the russel group and top uni's do then all of them will.

ReputationRep:
    so if one leaves university with 40k debt and decides to take up voluntary unemployment as a housewife/husband/wag. possibly a few take part time jobs now & again (under21K) then basically they've gone to uni for free?

ReputationRep:
    will the govt still be giving loans to the very mature students that are just a few years away from retirement age?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    **** off with your government propaganda.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.