Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The competition at te College would have been fearce. You were invited (most probably) to see if you're good enough for Cambridge. If they thought you were, they'd probably put you in the pool.
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Get over it.

They interviewed you in case you were brilliant and had been let down by your scores, there is nothing wrong with them telling you there was only ever a small chance as this will be true of several people each year. Tbh I would be happy to be in your position as it removes the anxiety of having to wait and find out.

Good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Guys this should be a troll!!

The person opened a TSR account today!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iopiop93)
    How do I complain and who to.
    Why do you want to complain?

I don't understand how what she said was so awful.. She shouldn't have said it, but she wasn't telling you anything you didn't already know. Your BMAT scores are low compared to other applicants and competition is fierce therefore it is unlikely you will be made an offer, but not impossible. How is that outrageous? Most medicine applicants are unlikely to get an offer. I think it was nice of them to interview you to give you a chance...

ReputationRep:
    shananigans!

ReputationRep:
    I love your random *'s they made me laugh anyway

I think you should complain as she shouldn't have said that. However, it was quite rude to ask in a way..bit forward.

ReputationRep:
    im guessing this didnt really happen

ReputationRep:
    How do I complain and who to.
    Your going to complain because you were told you were unlikely to get an offer?

I don't really think that's a valid reason, yeah it might have been a bit rude but unfortunately stuff like that happens. When your out in the big wide world not everybody is nice. Don't complain seriously, you definitely won't be getting an offer if you do that, wait till Jan and then if you are rejected, move on.

ReputationRep:
    Complain once you get the rejection letter.

ReputationRep:
    As qua said. They invited you to an interview to give you a chance to make up for your poor BMAT. You clearly didn't. I would be grateful for the chance at interview if I failed in the entry exams as it's another opportunity to show yourself off. I don't tihnk it was out order the DoS said it would be hard to make an offer. That's no different to finding out in January. In fact you should be happy that you won't stress out or the next two months for an inevitable rejection.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    See it's nt the fact that I'm getting rejected that pisses me off, that just saddens me. It's the fact that they knew I had no chance before they interviewed me and just wasted my time to reach some quota or something
    Think of it as a complement - not all applicants get called to interview! And, for god's sake, not EVERYONE they call to interview has an equally exceptional academic profile. They allow for some variation so that the interview can play a role in the process. You can't blame them for wanting to see as many people as possible. Maybe if you had done a really impressive interview she might not have said it?

And you've overreached the conclusion when you say 'they knew I had no chance'. They didn't need to interview you to fill a quota. Obviously you had a chance to gain an interview in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Did they know your BMAT scores when they sent the interview letter?
    If so, yes, that's pretty strange. If not, I see no problem with what they've done.

ReputationRep:
    How ridiculous. If they say that in my interview I think I'll answer back!

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem with calling 90% of your applicants to interview!
    I sympathise with you OP. You might as well try and get some of your money back. No harm in trying.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my interviews today and there is something I'm really curious about. As far as my general interview was GREAT, I am NOT confident about the subject-specific one. The main reason for my concerns is that I know Cambridge has a policy of putting the candidates at ease etc. during interviews. During my s.-s. interview, the interviewer said "That was excellent, very interesting, it was very nice to meet you, thank you" or at least something along those lines. Also, I heard the word "very good" once or twice when I was answering the questions. I feel very skeptical about it because I know they were probably trying their very best to make me feel comfortable.

I think it would be CRUEL of them to reject me after saying so many nice words, EVEN IF they were only meant as a way of making me feel less nervous. Still, do you think it's possible? I was predicted 45 points (the top score) in the IB exams, I had a rather good PS (in my general interview, one of the tutors said it was very interesting), good grades in my first year in the IB and what I think was a good reference.

Has any of you actually been rejected after being told you had done well? Have you heard of such cases?

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care? You were rejected, end of. You may have been very good, but still not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    there not really gonna go 'yeah well this interview was a bit ****...bye' are they?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenP91)
    Why do you care? You were rejected, end of. You may have been very good, but still not good enough.
    OP hasn't been rejected yet - she only had her interview today?

and OP, yes they can still reject you - i've learnt that no-one is ever secure when it comes to oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlehobbit)
    OP hasn't been rejected yet - she only had her interview today?

and OP, yes they can still reject you - i've learnt that no-one is ever secure when it comes to oxbridge!
    So she's just asking us whether they would say nice things then reject? What a ****ing pointless thread. Just wait like everyone else has to and then you'll find out. Also, it's far from cruel. Cambridge is one of the top universities in the world. Very good isn't good enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yh I understand it's competitive nd the chances are low but, they knew my BMAT before the interview. There's no way the director knew what happened unmy other interview cos they were just 10 mins of each other. Nd that was the subject interview, the main interview where ppl can show their science side of things So basically that means she doesn't care how I performed, all that's important is bmat and I get rejected. She cud hav looked at my bmat before and just cancelled the interview, I'd have preferred that to being in insanely cold weather all day looking like a bit of a prat in a suit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.