Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who introduced you to your music tastes? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    A little bit of everything over many years has moulded my taste. I feel that I will always like the music that I do now but I said that to different tastes two years ago! My Dad has very similar music tastes (we both adore The Smiths, Joy Division, and The Cure) and many of my other influences stem from this. My friends have overlapping music tastes with me but not identical.

ReputationRep:
    My dad. The stuff he played whilst I was in my mum's belly and whilst I was growing up is the stuff I now love, it's like I was unintentionally conditioned to like it.

ReputationRep:
    My dad introduced me to Pink Floyd, my guitar teacher told me about most of the guitarists I know, friends told me about the singer/songwriter stuff and the internet takes care of the rest

ReputationRep:
    Mostly the OST for Spiderman 2, ha. After that Last.fm. It's recommendations have been brilliant over the past few years.

ReputationRep:
    My dad mostly. Sometimes friends, but very rarely. The only radio I listen to regularly is Radcliffe and Maconie on Radio 2, and sometimes folk programmes, so I sometimes come across new music on there, but yeah, generally it's my dad.

ReputationRep:
    My brother and my friends. You could say movies (nerd that I am, I listen to film scores). :dontknow: No influence from parents and RnB loving members of the family though. I hate RnB, and I don't listen to reggae

ReputationRep:
    friends and finding stuff myself on youtube. I now have a 4000 song collection of pure bass

ReputationRep:
    A few of my friends, but mainly on my own via tinterwebs. I'm massively into music though, my music collection is utterly huge, more than I could ever listen to. I have around 400GB on my hardrive and download stuff as I become aware of it. I'm literally into pretty much everything though, which sounds pretentious but its true, I just love GOOD music. I spend hours listening to it. I play in two bands (one blackened death metal and one post-rock) and write electronic music of various genres which I produce with a friend on a casual basis. I have a few friendship circles who are into different kinds of music, my girlfriend and the friends I have met through her are into indie/folk/country/experimental music, my old school friends are into electronic/IDM/breakcore/dubstep, and my friends I know through my bands and stuff are into post rock/hardcore/black metal/doom and stuff like that so I'm always listening to something different.

My parents watch x-factor and took the day off work to get Take That tickets.

ReputationRep:
    Initially, I hear about stuff on the radio or music TV. I also find songs I like in adverts. And I find great music recommendations on certain websites, especially YouTube and Last.fm.

But no one really introduces me to music. It's mainly just a case of me coming across things by myself wherever.

ReputationRep:
    My old best friend is mainly responsible and he's now dead

ReputationRep:
    MTV Dance.

ReputationRep:
    It was mostly my friends but I also found a few bands online and knew a couple of artists from my mother. Weirdly I found out recently that depsite never having discussed music, me and my brother have v similar tastes! =p

ReputationRep:
    Those weird web blogs on Youtube absolutely ridiculous topics they come up with.
    Some have great taste in choosing the music background though.

ReputationRep:
    My mum is 100% to blame for my love of '80s tack

My first boyfriend got me into emo-y whiney music, and my previous boyfriend got me into metal-type stuff. Oh and there was a guy I had a massive, desperate crush on in college who was pretty indie, so I got into some indie crap 'cause of him :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    MY dad introduced me to Pink Floyd, Rush etc.
    An ex to melodic metal, and I found bands through friends when I was younger.
    I've used last.fm for "similar artists" since then really.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad got me generally interested in the type of music that I listen to now. He introduced me to bands like Queen, The Rolling Stones, The Who, etc...
    My brother is also a big influence in my music taste, we have almost the exact same taste in music which is cool.
    My two best friends have introduced me to some bands and I have introduced bands to them so it works both ways.

ReputationRep:
    I was into pop until I was about 9, then I started watching music channels and discovered Sum 41.. proper hardcore That got me into rockier stuff.
    Then, I hate to say it, but I had this obsession going on with Avril Lavigne from 2002-2008 which introduced me to people who in turn introduced me to a lot of the music I like today. Some of my really good friends live in America so they tell me about all the music over there Last.fm plays a huge role too.

ReputationRep:
    I'll do it for my favourites:
    My dad introduced me to Fleetwood Mac, bit old fashioned and I tend to keep the fact that I love them on the down low, but they are amazing.

My sister introduced me to The Cribs/The Smiths/Regina Spektor/Vampire Weekend.
    A friend of mine made me listen to Taylor Swift and now I think she's amazing :') the same friend persuaded me to watch Glee, months before it came out in the UK, now it's probably my favourite thing ever (probably won't be too popular for saying that... haha) I'm off to see them in concert.

My other favourite is John Mayer, but I found him by myself.

ReputationRep:
    Half my dad, half my mum. Everything I listen to one or the other will like.

ReputationRep:
    My Nan introduced me to Cypress Hill and N.W.A.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.