Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    This. They also went about it the wrong way. You think anyone will take you seriously after vandalism and violence? :lolwut:
    You think the government would listen to anything at all they did?

The violence was stupid because it allowed the media to turn the rest of the public against them.

Youre also my most dislked poster on tsr fwliw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Government ministers resign before votes because how on earth can you be in Government and vote against or abstain?!
    ?
    You should be able to vote for what you like without being persecuted by other members of parliament.

Pretty sure that's the point of democracy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4994mm)
    SO true!
    It's a completely un-just system.
    Is this country back in the age were only the rich are considered talented and intelligent.
    Yes, there are things to back up the argument for tution fees.
    But it has made many students future education an un-motivated, un-caring situation.
    Equal rights?!
    HA
    If mummy and daddy don't earn enough a student doesn't have the chance for the best future they can possibly have.

Equal rights my ***
    :facepalm2:

You do not pay until you earn 21k and loans cover the cost. You do not pay upfront. Hardly a system just for the rich

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Monkeyuncle)
    Hope your happy Thatcher, Now the Tories may have destroyed MY Future, Yes I may be in year 9 but this is something that may continue into when I am going to university IF I manage to go because of the money. This is why when I am old enough to vote I will NEVER vote tory for what has just happened and for many reasons you would know yourself. Tories have destroyed many bright futures for students, And will continue to do if you are ever voted again. I hope the tories happy and I hope that the tories will never be voted again..
    Sigh.

You can afford to go to uni, even if you are poor and homeless.
    There will still be student loans and grants, which you don't have to pay back until you're earning over £21k.
    If you're worried about spending your whole life paying it off, the solution is simple: Don't do a ****ty pointless course with poor prospects.

Also, the Browne review was started by Labour, with a view to enacting its recommendations. A Labour government would have made exactly the same changes.

(Original post by AshleyT)
    I think it did something - the tuition fees ONLY JUST went through, it was expected to go through by much more votes.

In addition, if the 8 lib dems to abstained had voted - it would not have gone through.
    How d'you figure that? It won by 21 votes...

(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    This is the end of the Lib Dems now. The end of Clegg and co. To break their manifesto promises and to go through with such a massive policy shift...

cheerio.
    Right, totally with you... I mean, it would be acceptable to not get your manifesto through if you had, oh I don't know, come THIRD in the election, but for a party which clearly won like the Lib Dems did it's entirely unacceptable...

Oh wait...

(Original post by Lewroll)
    Yes we failed, however one thing is for sure, neither the torys or the libdems will be voted in in the next general election (i doubt the libs will ever be voted in now)
    Bit early to say that, also see my point above about the Browne report being a labour report and the fact that they would have made exactly the same changes.

I guarentee labour will win the next election. The libdems dont have a chance. Hopefully all the elderly tory voters will be dead by the next election
    http://sports.betfair.com/
    3.15 to 1 odds on labour winning the next general election outright.
    Put your money where your mouth is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'mNewHere)
    You think the government would listen to anything at all they did?

The violence was stupid because it allowed the media to turn the rest of the public against them.

Youre also my most dislked poster on tsr fwliw
    There are much better ways to go about it.

Awww, yay! I'm flattered you care enough to make me a superlative to be honest! :heart:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    ?
    You should be able to vote for what you like without being persecuted by other members of parliament.

Pretty sure that's the point of democracy.

It's called 'Collective Responsibility'
    You need to Google it, it's part of our constitution, and while you're at it you might want to find out what 21 minus 8 is.
    I repeat, you cannot be in Government and vote against Government policy.

ReputationRep:
    SkyNews reporting the car containing Prince Charles and Camilla was attacked

I just don't see anything overly wrong with the rise in tuition fees. It will simply filter out the chavs who want to do degrees in green tea studies merely because it's convenient, rather than because they want to be educated.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
      You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
      And that my friend is the beauty of democracy, don't like it move to Iran.
      If no one attempted anything because they would fail then nothing would ever be accomplished.
      Don't watch something then complain about it while doing absolutely nothing, why didn't you have a counter protest?

ReputationRep:
      I don't condone violence to people but I think property damage goes some way to showing people think this a real ****ing disgrace.

ReputationRep:
      Yes we failed, however one thing is for sure, neither the torys or the libdems will be voted in in the next general election (i doubt the libs will ever be voted in now)
      So your going to vote labour back in?

The Government that put us into a recession masses of global debt and two wars.

k?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Me-A-Doctor?)

k?
      I never said anything about my vote, i said the conservatives and libdems wont win. Other people will vote you know, not just me. -_-

ReputationRep:
      Resit! Resit!!!!!

I still have yet to hear a single person tell me how this will alter access to education at all? I'm not being facetious when I say that I genuinely don't understand why this has been so controversial.

If anyone would care to enlighten me? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:

k?
        You really believe the recession was caused by Labour? How naive, you should really look up how it came to be and where it really started. There were decisions Labour had to make, some of them right others wrong, there was no clear answer at the time hence it was a tough decision. I don't believe there has ever been a party that stayed in power during or after a recession. Its quite sad after Labours 13 year legacy the last 3 years are all you remember.

Please don't post your misinformed political bias.

I guarentee labour will win the next election. The libdems dont have a chance. Hopefully all the elderly tory voters will be dead by the next election
          Then they get in, ruin the country (again), Conservatives are voted back in, try to fix it, get hounded down by riots, Labour are brought back in, repeat for the next century.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by im so academic)
          :five:

Tbh, I really can't people people thought protesting would change their minds. Absolutely pathetic.
          Just because something will probably happen doesn't mean you should just bend over and take it.

In any case, the protesting and the pressure on the lib dems managed to win a few concessions that will make the plans a tiny bit easier to take.

Plus on the Welsh side, the WAG decided to limit Welsh students fees to the current level.

Sorry to break it to you, but the student vote isn't that powerful - in comparison to middle England, for example.
          It may not be that powerful, but it is certainly powerful enough to make a bit of a difference. The lib dems probably wouldn't have been in coalition at all if it wasn't for the student vote.

ReputationRep:

k?
          People managed to forget the 80s and voted the tories back in. After that and a lot of other unpopular policies coming in the future, the population will not think twice in voting labour back in the next election or the one after that.

And recession? It's not just their fault you know and did an ok job in trying to take us out of it before the election

ReputationRep:
          You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
          Imagine if people hadn't protested and the Liberal Democrats went against their word without consequence. Then, those who felt (rightly) aggrieved would have failed. I don't condone violence but i do agree with the protests.

Ps Margret Thatcher's evil

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by .Ali.)
          This. They also went about it the wrong way. You think anyone will take you seriously after vandalism and violence? :lolwut:
          As opposed to sitting around with pretty signs and sandwiches? Sometimes actions speak louder than words.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.