Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    with the way previous rallies had gone you couldnt be so naive as to think it was going to be peaceful! and if not they should have gotten out of there the second they saw trouble coming! no cause is worth putting yourself in danger for! hell, even at reading festival i wouldnt even stay until the end of some of the acts cos i know how bad its going to get if i stay.
    That's like telling people not to attend football matches because of recent history of hooliganism. Its not an acceptable reason in a democratic and functional country like this one.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    That's like telling people not to attend football matches because of recent history of hooliganism. Its not an acceptable reason in a democratic and functional country like this one.
    at a football match its not hard to find somewhere where youll be out of the way if trouble does kick off! and most of the time you know the likely suspects for a dangerous match (derbys or particularly rough towns or whatever) and know to stay out of the way!
    you can go and not get involved which is my point! but they chose to get involved!!

ReputationRep:
    are you telling me youre going to be so arrogant as to have that little respect for people who would be willing to put their own lives on the line for you?
    yes they had a choice in what job they went into but they could NOT just decided on the day they didnt ****ing feel like it!
    they put their lives on the line and all youre interested in is being right?!?!? sort your priorities out mate.
    Im sorry about that. I forgot how disrespectful it is to state that the police have a choice in whether they join or not. and i cant remember saying that they could just decide whether to turn up. :confused:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    no, it is not like that. That is a poor analogy.

I would point out the differences between a fee protest and a football match, but I don't think I can dumb myself down that much
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ed46)
    I'm pretty sure the police do have a choice... doubt someone just rung them up and said youre in the police today. Tool.
    (Original post by ed46)
    Im sorry about that. I forgot how disrespectful it is to state that the police have a choice in whether they join or not. and i cant remember saying that they could just decide whether to turn up. :confused:
    youve missed my point! some people in this country have been valiant enough to put someone elses needs before their own and that needs to be respected!

ReputationRep:
    Every protest that gets violent is giving more reason for them not to lower tuition fees.
    How can the students that are being violent think they deserve lower tuition fees when they're smashing other peoples properties and costing other people thousands of pounds in damage.

They're too stupid to realise their violence is having the opposite effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    no, it is not like that. That is a poor analogy.

I would point out the differences between a fee protest and a football match, but I don't think I can dumb myself down that much
    Ok maybe not the best analogy to use, but the point I was trying to make is that in a fully functional democracy like the UK, violence by a minority should not be able to prevent a legitimate event taking place, and in this case, the opportunity for people to exercise a fundemental right of theirs.

So is that ok for you? or are you too intellectual that you can't understand basic English? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    youve missed my point! some people in this country have been valiant enough to put someone elses needs before their own and that needs to be respected!
    I'm not disputing the fact that they should be respected, like I said before its not like its unexpected for them to deal with this kind of situation, its in the job description. Fancy leaving it? Because this is getting a bit pathetic now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Ok maybe not the best analogy to use, but the point I was trying to make is that in a fully functional democracy like the UK, violence by a minority should not be able to prevent a legitimate event taking place, and in this case, the opportunity for people to exercise a fundemental right of theirs.

So is that ok for you? or are you too intellectual that you can't understand basic English? :rolleyes:
    yes, I have heard people talk about these "right" things before, but I have never actually set eyes 'pon them. Can you point me in the right direction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingofSpades)
    yes, I have heard people talk about these "right" things before, but I have never actually set eyes 'pon them. Can you point me in the right direction?
    :lolwut:

what do you want me to do? Give a list of names with photos?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ed46)
    I'm not disputing the fact that they should be respected, like I said before its not like its unexpected for them to deal with this kind of situation, its in the job description. Fancy leaving it? Because this is getting a bit pathetic now.
    lol it wasnt pathetic until you said that... it was 2 people arguing their point... but oh well :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    AFAIK there are only 6 water cannons in the UK, which are located in Northern Ireland.
    Do a lovely job too of washing scum off roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnQdK8IskE&feature=fvw and watch about 5 minutes in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    Do a lovely job too of washing scum off roads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbnQdK8IskE&feature=fvw and watch about 5 minutes in.
    Haha excellent! Big heavy duty things. They work though, they didn't even have to spray the water and the protesters fell back. I don't know how feasible it would be to ship them over for the mass protests, because of the current spending cutbacks, I can't imagine the Metropolitan police forking out for one or two themselves.

About 50 seconds in they realise they're coming down the road, watch them move awayyyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    Don't you all bloody realise it's the very fact of a police presence that turns the protest violent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conmist furnished)
    Don't you all bloody realise it's the very fact of a police presence that turns the protest violent?
    This. I would link to it if I had bookmarked it, but I read an article about studies done in Eastern Europe where they regularly have riots at football matches, and they argued that often the police aggravated the situation.

But personally I don't think they should stay away. They should be there to protect buildings, etc. They should not be actively aggressive though in my eyes.

ReputationRep:
    In some cases... perhaps. But considering the lack of police at the millbank protest, I think less police in this case would not be effective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    The police didn't even go far enough. Where were the dogs, water cannons and rubber bullets? In some countries, there would have been live rounds fired into the crowd.

The anarchist scumbags got it lucky, IMO.
    in China, you will get squashed by tanks..

Extremely disturbing, see it at your own risk
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Click here for the real one

ReputationRep:
    People blamed the lack of preparation on the part of the police when the Milibank protests got ugly. Now they blame them if they are prepared. What do you want them to do, be there and not be there at the same time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loosebruce)
    Students who were not smart enough to move away from the trouble makers who were about the be shown the law do not get any sympathy from me. They have a choice just like people have a choice to take a credit card with a bank and if they can't pay it back - tough faeces! Their fault!
    In such a huge and tightly packed crowd (made tightly packed by police ramming protesters together), where do you suggest people go? There is nowhere to go. Get crushed in the crowd or be beaten by police? Nothing to do with being smart, there was nowhere else to go! They were contained tightly by police

The police chose their career. They chose to become police and chose to become thugs in uniforms.

The students did not choose to be let down by the democratic process and beaten for trying to make their voices heard. The state will beat you if you speak out of line

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.