Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many people full of resentment for the 2010 World Cup? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robocop1andahalf)
    Being attack minded and only held back by opponents that deliberately played very defensive? Spain couldn't help that!

Tedious football? What, more than flippin boring Greece 2004?
    Did you watch, for example, Spain Paraguay or Spain Chile? The other teams pretty much dominated most of the game, pressing high up the pitch and trying to attack, Spain never looked like scoring for most of it.
    The only side that parked the bus against Spain were Switzerland, maybe Portugal, maybe Honduras but they're just generally crap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    The number of star players who were ruled out (Essien namely, but also Ronaldinho, Pato, Zanetti Cambiasso et. al) fueled my disappointment - it felt like a watered down contest from the get-go.

And many of the star players who DID participate failed miserably.
    The exact same could be said about 2002. Perhaps more so.

ReputationRep:
    The exact same could be said about 2002. Perhaps more so.
    I barely remember 2002, must've been ****

In addition to my previous post, I felt a bit disheartened with the number of up and coming teams and probable "giant killers" that failed to qualify: Sweden, Turkey, Russia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Egypt..

Especially Russia would had been interesting and fun to watch under the guidance of Guus Hiddink. They were immense in the Euro Cup 2008. And Turkey are always a joy to behold. But hey, can't have it all

ReputationRep:
    And calling it the worst ever etc.

OK, it may not have been exactly the best world cup ever but even last week in the 2018/2022 hosting discussions the dismissal of the South African summer festival as the absolute worst ever refuses to go away. Do some people really have such short memories and forget how appallingly painfully dreadful 2002 in Korea/Japan was?

Common reasons why I hear people saying this:-

The vuvuzelas - yeah OK, always going to divide opinion. But not as anyoning as the sound of gormless twits randomly whistling.
    Star players failing to perform - Rooney, Drogba, Ronaldo..... Erm, this was almost the exact same issue as in 2002 where far more high profile stars failed to shine. And those who call Messi one of this year's flops just because he failed to score a goal really know nothing. Plenty of other class acts made 2010 memorable enough.
    Boring games - I admit the first week was appalling. But it picked up and there were certainly far more fun games than in 2002, a world cup that for me was dead as soon as the knock-outs began, and the complete utter joke that was the Korea circus got underway fluking their progress thanks to biased referees.
    Lack of atmosphere - You could say that about 2002, or even Eurocrap 96. I know that was not a world cup but still a dire tournament full of dull games and where any game not involving England seemed to be only a quarter full.
    Failure of England - Oh please. Get over yourselves and learn to realise this is a WORLD cup and there are other teams worth watching.

Although I think 2006 was slightly more entertaining (and surely perhaps the best of the last 20 years) 2010 was not that bad, was it?

I'd rank and recall as follows:-

2010 - Quite fun. Dreadful first week and dull final too let it down but some fun in between.
    2006 - Brilliant and unforgettable for the most part. After the horrors of 2002, it felt that football was back. The tension of the Italy-France final reminded me why I became a football fan in the first place all those years ago. There may have been a few stinkers in the second round (Swi-Ukr for example) but they were the exception to the rule. Just as many classics in equal measure. So many happy memories.
    2002 - Utter pile of ****e. Nearly all big names failed to deliver. Boring negative dull defensive players shone, the complete joke of Korea, seeing an incredibly poor Germany get an easy ride to the final, seeing an ordinary Brazil win, the whole England-Argentina circus. So many dull games. ****ing hated it. Absolute worst ever.
    1998 - Happy ending certainly but do not understand why so many go overboard calling it the best ever. Some memorable games yes but an equal number of forgettable ones too.
    1994 - Great fun, attacking football is back after the ugly horrors of 1990. Lots of classics. Dull final however. Great fun just being in America.
    1990 - I do have a nostalgic soft spot for this and there were some unforgettable moments of drama (e.g. the two semi-finals plus the emergence of Cameroon) but the plethora of 1-0s and 0-0s was excruciating and no better than 2010.

So many great classics from before 1990 however.

But seriously, why so many people with short memories call SA 2010 the worst ever?
    because that is just how we do things. We are sore losers who need to whinge and need a few years to get over it.

ReputationRep:
    It just sucked. /thread, surely??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnWise)
    I barely remember 2002, must've been ****

In addition to my previous post, I felt a bit disheartened with the number of up and coming teams and probable "giant killers" that failed to qualify: Sweden, Turkey, Russia, Czech Republic, Croatia, Egypt..

Especially Russia would had been interesting and fun to watch under the guidance of Guus Hiddink. They were immense in the Euro Cup 2008. And Turkey are always a joy to behold. But hey, can't have it all
    A number of interesting teams and potential "giant killers" that would have been interesting to watch also failed to qualify for 2002 crapfest as well much to my dismay back then, e.g. Holland, Ukraine, Czech Rep, Norway, Liberia (would have been an ideal last hurrah for George Weah?).

And I'm glad to see I've shut that thick braindead pokermuffin c*nt up.

ReputationRep:
    It was a good world cup although didn't seem to have the excitement like the world cup before did. Also, when Spain and Netherlands played there just didn't seem to be as much interest. I was a little surprised about the Argentina squad though. It should have been Tevez, Riquelme, Aguero and Messi on the same team but ok.

ReputationRep:
    Just found this video someone made, and a very good job too. It reminded me that I actually really enjoyed 2010 cup after all. Van Bronckhorst's thunderbolt, the Suarez handball drama, the Lampard ghost goal among others. http://www.twitvid.com/CGCOT

Why the hell should anyone care about England?

ReputationRep:
    It wasn't that bad after the first week, there have been worse tournaments recently (Euro 2004 :flute:) But then I don't have England butthurt clouding my judgement...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    It wasn't that bad after the first week, there have been worse tournaments recently (Euro 2004 :flute:) But then I don't have England butthurt clouding my judgement...
    :five:

And I do not see how or why on Earth "England butthurt" should cloud anybody's judgement.

ReputationRep:
    :five:

And I do not see how or why on Earth "England butthurt" should cloud anybody's judgement.
    Just saying that to an extent, a lot of people are bound to look fondly back on a competition where their team has done well, and vice versa :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    Just saying that to an extent, a lot of people are bound to look fondly back on a competition where their team has done well, and vice versa :dontknow:
    Really? I have never cared that much about England and often been neutral and trying to predict who will win, go far etc.

Besides, assuming you are from Ireland as your profile says and care deeply about the boys in green, theoretically you have some butthurt to deal with too. But has it clouded your judgement?

Although in comparison I think I enjoyed 2006 more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.