Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sociology - AQA Unit 1 - Families and Households Jan 2011 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeybey)
    The divorce reform act was not in 1969, it was implimented in 1971. The equal pay act was not 1971, rather it was in 1970. Also, Sexual Discrimination Act, 1975 is a good one to remember

Good set of facts/theories though! Also, in the FTSE 100 (top 100 companies in the UK) there is not 1 single CEO that is a woman.

I guess you can say the 1969 or 1971, however if you say 1971 you have to state that that was the year it was brought into use.

As well as that, you have to make sure that you use the term "irretrievable breakdown" and state that in modern society, mediation is used, whereas it wasn't in the past.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiyamynameissoph)
    I guess you can say the 1969 or 1971, however if you say 1971 you have to state that that was the year it was brought into use.

As well as that, you have to make sure that you use the term "irretrievable breakdown" and state that in modern society, mediation is used, whereas it wasn't in the past.
    Hi sophie.

I hate to contradict you, but I got an A* in this particular paper and I did neither of the things you mentioned. This is an AS paper, they do not expect you to work wonders, just remember the basics: the date of the act (use whichever) and the name of the act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeybey)
    Hi sophie.

I hate to contradict you, but I got an A* in this particular paper and I did neither of the things you mentioned. This is an AS paper, they do not expect you to work wonders, just remember the basics: the date of the act (use whichever) and the name of the act.
    I thought you couldn't get an A* at AS Level, full marks, but that would still get you an A. A*s are for A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiyamynameissoph)
    I thought you couldn't get an A* at AS Level, full marks, but that would still get you an A. A*s are for A2.
    Yes it was an A technically, I got 94%. Whatever. I know what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    do we need to know about: 1979 conservatives, and new labour?

ReputationRep:
    myy teacher thinks it will be "assess the view that adults oppress childhood too much" or something. marriage/divorce hasn't been in a big q since like 2004, so it's likely to be in there somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk789)
    myy teacher thinks it will be "assess the view that adults oppress childhood too much" or something. marriage/divorce hasn't been in a big q since like 2004, so it's likely to be in there somewhere.
    how would you answer that? ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles0ox)
    something about death rates came up in june 2010 - was awful
    but can't remember the other one

any predictions for this year?
    i'm thinking childhood as it hasn't come up and hopefully something like Marxism/functionalism in the family
    One was reasons for and consequences of change in death rate
    and the other was about the functions of the family

Both terrible questions! the latter wanted focus on functionalism according to the mark scheme so less chance of functionalism to be a big essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by englishboy)
    did any1 ask there teachers for what their predictions for what topic might come up
    im a type of person that if an topic for example was on family diversity and it came on 2010 i will not revise it i will revise the ones that hasnt come on yet.

childhood was an essay question in 2008/2009
    so was marxism

functionalist,social policy, divorce, feminisn is what i fink but i really wanna know other people opinions, i wanna feel a bit more comfortable

good luck with revision guys
    my teacher predicted, childhood, couples, functionalism/feminism, divorce rate

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't mind the nature of childhood, and a demographic question for the 2 long answers

ReputationRep:
    I've almost finished all revision apart from social policy! What time is the exam again? I'm going into school early to revise but I was an idiot and left my planner at school!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony93)
    Aargggggh, got this on Friday aswell as a AS geography paper in the morning!
    Making notes on all the topics, then key sociologists!

Then Unit 3 Beliefs in Society the week after :/

Good luck everyone!
    Heyyy, I'm doing unit 3 next week too last year I got a C in this exam because I got two exams mixed round, left demography to revise that evening and obviously got a shock when I almost missed the exam AND the 24 marker was on death rates! Most stupid, unlike-me thing I have ever done! Managed to get an A cos got 115/120 in unit 2! What's your situation? Xxx

ReputationRep:
    I hope childhood comes up, how is everyone feeling?
    any last minute tips?

Im worried as this is a retake, i didnt revise last year and ended up with 50/80 which is C
    i need a B for uni, so need at least 54 to up my grade (because i did better on the other topic) which shouldnt be too hard i guess
    but im still slightly worried, last year was hard!

ReputationRep:
    So, how was it for everyone here? Personally, I was pleased with the questions, I had been hoping for questions related to marriage and childhood. I'll go through what I actually wrote after more people are back, but I do have a question for someone. What /is/ net migration?

ReputationRep:
    Net Migration: The difference between immigration and emigration in a certain area during a specific time frame.

Was quite surprised at the number of people I knew who couldn't answer that question. I just related it to net spend, and changed it to fit in migration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGLiverpool)
    Net Migration: The difference between immigration and emigration in a certain area during a specific time frame.

Was quite surprised at the number of people I knew who couldn't answer that question. I just related it to net spend, and changed it to fit in migration
    Same, what did everyone write for the last question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanGLiverpool)

I said that, but didn't include the word immigration, which I assume will have lost me a mark. Haha, I did the same, actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel_Leah)
    Heyyy, I'm doing unit 3 next week too last year I got a C in this exam because I got two exams mixed round, left demography to revise that evening and obviously got a shock when I almost missed the exam AND the 24 marker was on death rates! Most stupid, unlike-me thing I have ever done! Managed to get an A cos got 115/120 in unit 2! What's your situation? Xxx
    Ah, well done! I would love an A. You're in a better situation than me haha! I got an E last year somehow, which I am putting down to AQA poor marking. Also the teacher we had never taught Sociology before, as he is a History teacher and they wanted to make cuts so he had to teach Sociology. Basically I am doing all 4 exams again this year!

How you find today? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthony93)
    Ah, well done! I would love an A. You're in a better situation than me haha! I got an E last year somehow, which I am putting down to AQA poor marking. Also the teacher we had never taught Sociology before, as he is a History teacher and they wanted to make cuts so he had to teach Sociology. Basically I am doing all 4 exams again this year!

How you find today? x
    It was pretty good! And oh dont worry, AQA are RUBBISH! I want to do english at university and I got a horrendous mark in the exam, just like you, and it did NOT reflect my ability whatsoever. urgh!

I hope you have done better this year, it's so stressful redoing exams isn't it I'm doing Three retakes and that's pretty grim.

I found it ok, I messed up on the net migration one, I dont even know how lol as soon as I got out I was like I KNOW THE ANSWER?! IT'S SO EASY?! The 4 and 6 markers were okay i thought, for the reasons why people want to migrate I put to escape religious persecution (linking to France and Holland in 16th/17th century, so I hope they accept that?!) and standard of living.

For the big q on marriage etc, I put in Sue Sharpe about magazines but then in the book under the topic it talks about interviews, but I know she looked at magazines as well so I hope I don't lose too many marks! Wrote quite a lot so was alright on that one,

Childhood I found AWESOME. Was hoping and praying for this to come up, hopefully would have got a good mark in that so fingers crossed!
    How about you? xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else find that there just isn't enough time for the essays? It's my first sociology exam, and I knew all the content, but I only managed about a page and a half for the first essay, and a page for the childhood one, until I ran out of time and had to bullet point :[

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.