Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

20 year old student admitted to hospital with bleeding on the brain Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay.... next time there's a riot... I suggest we make these students, who complained about the police, do all the policing of that riot... if they do a better or even as near a good job as the real police force... then yes... I will accept that the police are brutal.

But something tells me that they would fail miserably. Why don't these students think about the families that these policemen have... some even have kids.... at uni and college.... they would probably be against a tuition fee rise too.. but they're doing a job that they're told to do.

You'll get some policemen that don't help the situation... but same goes for those rioting. We're all humans after all.

And I wish everyone who was injured the speediest of recoveries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    For all you know he could of have been one of the morons throwing flares at police. Or trying to ram police with a fence. Your You're trying to use this at as an argument against the police yet I doubt you know the full situation.

I agree tbh. There's all sorts of hearsay surrounding this now

ReputationRep:
    Overusing TSR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)

Of for all you know he could be one of the many peaceful protestors who were attacked by the police?

The problem with the police responce was that it was undiscriminate. They battered people no matter if they were being peaceful or not.

How do you know he was rioting?
    How do you know he was being violent? You do not. So shut up.

Based on that logic for all you know he could have been one of the violent protestors, there is no way of knowing.

I doubt the police response was entirely indiscriminate. There are always going to be one or two people, on the police side and the student side, who are just looking to vent their frustration. Everyone's defending the actions of the students, since majority were peaceful, with only a minority violent/damaging. Well guess what, maybe one or two of the officers got so sick of having fireworks and wooden picket signs chucked at them (among other things!) that they acted on the individuals attacking the officers. They would be the minority too.

It's very easy to sit back and say, "well the police were being extremely violent, attacking people willy nilly." That's hardly protocol, and that's hardly the actions of the majority, and that's hardly backed by substantial evidence.

You don't know he wasn't being violent. Just because his mum says he wasn't? Like others have said, that proves absolutely nothing. It's his mum. So I'd cool it if I were you. And maybe don't post here if you don't want to hear others opinions. "Shut up" is not a legitimate argument. It wasn't when you were five years old, and it isn't now.

(Original post by Huskaris)
      Nor was the previous Labour one. It's called politics and democracy. If you don't like it then you can always move to North Korea.
      The previous Labour Government was elected by the voters. That's democratic.

A government that is not elected by the voters...as is the coalition government, is not democratic because we didn't want this outcome when we voted.

I want to live in a democratic country where the people's wishes are adhered to, not a hotch-potch mix of two parties, neither of which was given a majority by the electorate ride roughshod over the wishes of the electorate and put themselves into government.

Moving to North Korea would not change anything because we've got it's 'like' here already!

Up the Student Protesters. May you remember how badly you've been treated long into adulthood...and certainly each time the Tory and Lib Dem parties put themselves up for election!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by musicforsanity)
      Based on that logic for all you know he could have been one of the violent protestors, there is no way of knowing.

I doubt the police response was entirely indiscriminate. There are always going to be one or two people, on the police side and the student side, who are just looking to vent their frustration. Everyone's defending the actions of the students, since majority were peaceful, with only a minority violent/damaging. Well guess what, maybe one or two of the officers got so sick of having fireworks and wooden picket signs chucked at them (among other things!) that they acted on the individuals attacking the officers. They would be the minority too.

It's very easy to sit back and say, "well the police were being extremely violent, attacking people willy nilly." That's hardly protocol, and that's hardly the actions of the majority, and that's hardly backed by substantial evidence.

You don't know he wasn't being violent. Just because his mum says he wasn't? Like others have said, that proves absolutely nothing. It's his mum. So I'd cool it if I were you. And maybe don't post here if you don't want to hear others opinions. "Shut up" is not a legitimate argument. It wasn't when you were five years old, and it isn't now.
      But the point is our society is supposed to assume people are INNOCENT until proven otherwise. Not the otherway around. It sad to see people are way too quick to assume that he must have deserved it.

(Original post by Howard)
        Overusing TSR?
        Were you involved in the Student Protests of 1968, Howie?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Eloades11)
        Are you trying to tell me that all the peaceful protesters are the majority of the ones that get hurt? They deserve to get delt with if they at the front of the line in the protest, right? The ones at the front line, are the ones who get delt with.

The majority of the cases, the protesters at the front line(morons) are more likely to get clobbered than the people at the other end(peaceful). So are you getting at the fact that I have made a reasonable assumption that he was at the front of this? Guy deserved it

dont try and tell me police clobber every protester, not just the ones who are smashing things
        You most probably weren't there yesterday, were you now?

Well if you'd have been you'd also know that when a crowd of people is confined to a very limited space [eg like at a gig, you can get caught up in a mosh pit] - you MOVE ALONG WITH THE CROWD.

You're literally squished in shoulder to shoulder. There were moments when we were moving quite large distances and my feet weren't even on the ground. Yo have no choice in direction...and in many cases people get disperced within the crowd - so it is wrong to assume everyone at the front is an utter moron who's looking for violence. Utter bull.

Me and my mates ended up slap bang in the middle, and I definitley didn't want to be there, but it was impossible to move out. ;/

ReputationRep:
        I have no sympathy.

The only people that were on the receiving end of the violence were the ***** that were trying to charge the police line. Saying that, if water cannons were being used it is unlikely anyone would be at risk of any real damage, and we wouldn't have situations like this.

Would be funnier, too.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Duncan Idaho)
        oh don;t be so naive !

didn't you see the video of the policeman attacking the G20 protester, unprovoked , who later died of his his injuries
        I am in no way naive. And I really don't appreciate the assumption.

Is that relevant to this in any way?

If you read my other post you'll see that I mention that there will always be one or two individuals, on the police side and the protestor side, that take it upon themselves to fight back. They are human. The majority is not reflected by the actions of the few.

And who the hell is to say what these people were or were not doing that may or may not have provoked the police response.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by yawn)
        The previous Labour Government was elected by the voters. That's democratic.

A government that is not elected by the voters...as is the coalition government, is not democratic because we didn't want this outcome when we voted.

I want to live in a democratic country where the people's wishes are adhered to, not a hotch-potch mix of two parties, neither of which was given a majority by the electorate ride roughshod over the wishes of the electorate and put themselves into government.

Moving to North Korea would not change anything because we've got it's 'like' here already!

Up the Student Protesters. May you remember how badly you've been treated long into adulthood...and certainly each time the Tory and Lib Dem parties put themselves up for election!
        Ok... So... This country voted for Gordon Brown? People voted for Blair expecting Blair, which they had for a while and then they got Gordon Brown

People voted for Cameron, expecting Cameron, and they voted for Clegg, obviously not expecting Clegg but probably expecting some form of coalition I suppose...

But if you don't want a coalition, then don't vote for a non party like the Lib Dems.

ReputationRep:
        By the way, many of you are failing to mention the fact that there was a section of the area left open for protestors to leave if they wished. This however was not at the front where the two-deep line of policeman were trying to hold the line. Protestors could have left via this open exit rather than trying to push past the police. If they let a couple of people past they would soon lose control, I assure you.

ReputationRep:
        It is sad when anyone is injured, it was his choice to be involved with violent rioting and whether he was injured intentionally or by accident is still to be resolved.

The police officers injured doing their job trying to protect the general public and public and private property as well as trying to keep the peace do deserve our thanks and admiration. The mobs running around the West End, knocking over shoppers, smashing up shops and then attacking the future King do not deserve EMA, or student loans, grants etc which are funded by taxpayers, most of which have not benefited from the governments generousity or a university education.

None of those involved deserve a university education subsidised by the taxpayer.
        • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ArcaneAnna)
        You most probably weren't there yesterday, were you now?

Well if you'd have been you'd also know that when a crowd of people is confined to a very limited space [eg like at a gig, you can get caught up in a mosh pit] - you MOVE ALONG WITH THE CROWD.

You're literally squished in shoulder to shoulder. There were moments when we were moving quite large distances and my feet weren't even on the ground. Yo have no choice in direction...and in many cases people get disperced within the crowd - so it is wrong to assume everyone at the front is an utter moron who's looking for violence. Utter bull.

Me and my mates ended up slap bang in the middle, and I definitley didn't want to be there, but it was impossible to move out. ;/
        Well firstly, I think what you're trying to say is its not his fault, when I will not in a million years believe that. Secondly, why would I riot, im not stupid enough to complain against a rise in tuition fees. Why cant others just accept this, its like this, a mother tells her child she is not getting him the sweet he wants, because of her money problems. But the child cries and cries and cries. How I would respond, punish the kid, if you dont agree, you're a very very different person to the rest of us

ReputationRep:

I made a very reasonable assumption that this guy was at the front line of the rioting. The chances of getting hurt this much AND being completely out the way of harm, its nearly nill. Thats how reasonable this assumption is, and if you think that this was the case, you clearly still believe in the tooth fairy, and you are trying to win the lottery 3 times in a row
        No, he was at the front row because the police had said they were going to allow people to leave, and so he was trying to ****ing leave, and, since they were surrounded by police, it's pretty ****ing difficult to leave without having to go past them. ****.

ReputationRep:
        My cynicism in humanity has just been proved right. How the bloody hell can someone deserve to be smashed in the head for just being at a protest?
        This thread shows everything that is bad with the UK. People claiming a student deserves to have possible brain damage? Seriously? I'm partly amazed, partly horrified by how quickly people have claimed that he deserved it.

Of for all you know he could be one of the many peaceful protestors who were attacked by the police?

The problem with the police responce was that it was undiscriminate. They battered people no matter if they were being peaceful or not.

How do you know he was rioting?

Why?

Total and absolute rubbish I am afraid. The people who caused the violence deserve the police reaction. The peaceful protestors who were also attacked by the police do not deserve it.

But as most people were not.

Why not? And how on earth can you make such a statement without knowing the actual facts? How do you know he was being violent? You do not. So shut up.
        How do you know he wasn't?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by yawn)
        Were you involved in the Student Protests of 1968, Howie?
        Not quite Yawn. But I'm very enthusiastic and excited about what's going on in London.

ReputationRep:
        Let's not make him a victim before we know all the details first

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SamCrossMan)
        I have no sympathy.

The only people that were on the receiving end of the violence were the ***** that were trying to charge the police line.
        Wrong. If you believe that then you are very naive.

I made a very reasonable assumption that this guy was at the front line of the rioting. The chances of getting hurt this much AND being completely out the way of harm, its nearly nill. Thats how reasonable this assumption is, and if you think that this was the case, you clearly still believe in the tooth fairy, and you are trying to win the lottery 3 times in a row
        And I am making the reasonable assumption that as we do not have any evidence to suggest the contrary, that he was not being violent.
        Even if we take the middle ground, that we don't know so its pointless assuming things. Then how the hell does that justify the comments of "he deserved it"?
        I worry about this country. I really do.

ReputationRep:
        Wrong. If you believe that then you are very naive.
        How does that make me naive?

All the naivety that I see is coming from the stupid ***** that are smashing up parliament square for no good reason.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.