Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's your reason for living? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't wake up every morning with a purpose in life or a goal to achieve. I don't have a specific path I plan to follow, I don't plan to change the world... I don't even have a reason to be alive in my opinion, none of us do. But being born is not something we have control over, so we may as well enjoy life. Life sucks at times, but people never consider the good times... it depresses me to see people always considering suicide as some sort of resolve, it doesn't solve anything. It just makes life horrible for the people you do care about.

I've had, what is probably the worst year of my life this year, but rather than complain about it, I look forward to the future. I'm looking forward to finishing school and going to uni, I'm looking forward to getting a job and hopefully travelling the world, maybe even starting a family some day. I've never once considered suicide, even through the worst stages of my life, because things can always get better, even if it does take a while. At the end of the day you may as well enjoy life and just go with the flow, because you're stuck here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoulfulBoy)
    Apart from studies,job, family anything else wich is not you... what's YOUR reason for living? Why do you keep waking up everyday?
    Fear of death is probably the only thing that keeps me living. I try to give myself reasons for living (setting myself goals and working towards those) but that doesn't always help. Plus it's not the most reliable thing to derive contentment from pride and egocentrism. I'm not sure it's healthy that the thing that gets me out of bed in the morning is my belief that I'm better than everyone else..

People always say we have so much live for... but what is that actually? Amid some fleeting moments of joy, life is mostly very mundane and boring or a rather negative experience. Sure there's happiness in the world, but it's often very short-lived, whilst pain and struggle can go on relentlessly for ages on end. It's funny though- I used to be quite bright-eyed and on most days I would feel thrilled to be alive! :gasp: If I could go back to that mindset I would...

If death was smooth and painless would you accept suicide?
    If I could die in my sleep tonight, I would. It would hurt my parents, but I didn't ask for them to bring me into this world, I don't understand why I'm obliged to stay just because of them.

ReputationRep:
    To feel sadness or depressed, it must mean you were really happy at some point in your life, and it allows you to focus on that, and although you may feel sad for quite a while, it just means you can be happy again in the future. It's better to have had something good and lost it, to have never had it at all.

Kind of keeps me going when I am feeling depressed or upset, its only temporary and things will always get better, no matter how long it takes.

ReputationRep:
    My life isn't bad. It's all right most of the time

ReputationRep:
    At the moment, nothing really. I have no responsibilities and I do have dreams but they seem a long way off yet. I do love my family but I don't live for them (or anyone else). I think highly of them enough to think that they would respect my decision to "end it all" (if I ever did). It's my life and I will do whatever the hell I want with it.

ReputationRep:
    For fun

ReputationRep:
    Because I was born.

ReputationRep:
    to become a doctor and make make my parents proud.....and pay them back for everything and all the struggles they went through for me

ReputationRep:
    Simple: To be the best I can be. There is no reason to life, it's simply what you make of it.

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of depressed people here...

ReputationRep:
    To get the express.

ReputationRep:
    I want to see who starts world war 3.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Okay then, the day your family and the last of your friends die you will commit suicide.
    probably

ReputationRep:
    Death can be painless. But before you leave your body, it would be good to use it to satisfy my repressed needs. Think about it as a payment you won't feel.
    Ermm what needs exactly?

ReputationRep:
    absurdism

ReputationRep:
    Acquire currency, impregnate females.

ReputationRep:
    Hope,faith and love-love will be all that will remain In the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CoffeeStinks)
    Ermm what needs exactly?
    I cannot tell you because it's a taboo and TSR censor it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    probably
    Interesting. I can control your lifespan at will. I can make you not to see 2011.
    Sleep well.

ReputationRep:
    Admitting that you don't have a reason for living doesn't mean you should go and commit suicide.

You could just as easily ask what's your reason for committing suicide? To which you would have to answer 'there is no reason'. May as well stay alive then... cyclical argument... etc.

I have awesome friends, memories, a job I love, lots of things to look forward to. I'm very happy 90% of the time so I'm going to carry on living thanks :yep:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.