Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ellie_flower)
    I applied to the corporate affairs role and was invited to do the tests yesterday. They said the interviews are in Hertfordshire on the 18th-19th Jan. Does anybody know what the chances of going from interview to job is? What are the other intermediary stages?

And where are you based with corporate affairs?

Thank you very much!!!!
    There is an assessment centre after, believe it is based in Cheshunt.

ReputationRep:
    I applied to the corporate affairs role and was invited to do the tests yesterday. They said the interviews are in Hertfordshire on the 18th-19th Jan. Does anybody know what the chances of going from interview to job is? What are the other intermediary stages?

Thank you very much!!!!
    Me too- good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I got invited to do the tests today. Bit nervous about the numerical reasoning because I've failed three for other applications so far.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I have been invited to do my online testing, but im really nervous. Does anyone know what they asked (especially the maths questions)? Im extremely nervous and would appreciate any help.

Please get back to me, as i've seen a lot of people have asked this question but no one has answered them.

Thanks guys
    Beri

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takemethere)
    I got invited to do the tests today. Bit nervous about the numerical reasoning because I've failed three for other applications so far.
    Hiya,

Do you know how many tests we have to do?
    Is it a numerical test and a verbal reasoning? Also do we have to a maths test on the day? x

So stressed about this!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshguy06)
    Anybody else on the assessment day on the 11/12th January?
    Hiya,

Congrats on getting so far!

I have an online test coming up and im really nervous! Could tell me what type of questions they asked on the numerical test please. Also how was the verbal reasoning.

Thanks
    Beri

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CardiffMathsGeek)
    Hey, I don't suppose anyone has been invited to the Tesco Assessment Centre on 9th December?
    Hey,

Hope the interview went well.

I've got to do the online test to do and I was wondering if you could please tell me what type of questions came up.

Thanks
    beri

ReputationRep:
    Tests are logical, numerical and verbal. Each test has a few sample questions so you can see the format. Practice makes perfect!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphrodite007)
    Tests are logical, numerical and verbal. Each test has a few sample questions so you can see the format. Practice makes perfect!
    Thanks,

Do you know what type of things i need to be practising. Any specific maths subjects i should brush up on. Also how do you prepare for a logic and verbal test?

It would great if you could get back to me.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Log onto the link provided, there are practise tests provided- that will give you an idea of what might come up.

There are loads of websites that use sample tests- try SHL and Assessment Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphrodite007)
    Log onto the link provided, there are practise tests provided- that will give you an idea of what might come up.

There are loads of websites that use sample tests- try SHL and Assessment Day.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kerpau)
    Hi,

I had a work sample with Tesco last week.
    I have to say I was not impressed with the manner in which it was carried out.
    The work itself was fine but I found that the managers who I was paired with, didn't even know why I was there and as such didn't really care.

I was left waiting half an hour when I first arrived until a manager came down to greet me which I did find a bit surprising since Tesco are always talking about time management and things like this on their graduate site. But this was fine I know unexpected problems can arise and have to be dealt with.

Then I was placed with the one of the non-food managers. Seemed nice enough guy. But left me just standing in his section of the store saying he would be 5mins, returned over 30mins later. I had only just arrived in the store and was given no instructions as to what to do. I ended up just talking to different staff members and asking them questions.

Manager finally returned without an apology. But I just accepted that. Rest of morning was pretty smooth, just working on the floor and helping out were needed. Except the manager did keep leaving me with other people, which was a bit pointless as I was there to shadow him.

Then lunch time came. Same manager decided to leave work early to go and fix the tyre on his car, didn't tell me this and made no effort to pair me up with another manager for the remainder of the afternoon.
    So I ended up arranging it for myself and shadowed the online manager for about half and hour. Then the counters manager for a while.

Also beware Tesco can randomly stop and search possessions of any person in the store who isn't a customer. Managers have a certain quota to reach a week and have to do so in pairs of one male one female. I was with managers carrying out this task. So I had to empty pockets and have locker check. While there was no real problem and I understand the necessity of such procedures I did find it slighlly off-putting. After all I was a potential employee and some people might take offence to being made to feel like a thief on their first direct contact with a potential employer.

Again I just accepted it. Final thing that day is a brief interview with personnel manager and store manager. The store manager was on holiday on my work sample so the deputy store manager sat in.
    This was the first time I had spoken to either apart from maybe 2 mins with the Deputy earlier that afternoon. Only lasted a few mins, which I was very surprised about as it was these 2 that are going to be making the decision.

Overall I have to say that I found the store I did my work sample with quite disorganised and unprofessional given they would have been well aware that graduates would be visiting the store. In fact it quite put me off the idea of working for Tesco. Think I might try one of their competitors instead.

Glad it's not just me then, Tesco are by far the least professional graduate employer ive had dealings with

i hope nobody is expecting their expenses back! You can kiss goodbye to that idea

ReputationRep:

Thank you very much!!!!
    I applied to tesco and they said the numbers roughly half at each stage.
    so if there were 100 doing the tests, only 50 would get through to the interview, and then only 25 to the assessment centre etc

good luck by the way! and don't count on getting your expenses back

ReputationRep:
    I too have been sent an email saying I have been invited to take the psycometric tests and was wondering if people could offer some insight into the content.

I have applied for the corporate affairs role if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've applied for the corp affairs position too but haven't heard back after the initial email:-(

Can someone tell me if they got invited to take the online tests today or if tesco have pretty much finished sending out online invites. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chapeau Rouge)
    I got sent the email before Christmas and received an email last week to say that I have passed and will be informed of my interview time but as of yet I haven't heard anything more. The interviews are supposed to be Weds/Thurs of next week and they ask you to take the tests within seven days so I would have thought today may be the last possible day?

For corporate affairs by the way if it wasn't clear.
    If you don't mind taking a few minutes to explain, what were the tests like? Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Applied for corporate affairs and today got an email saying I passed the tests and WILL be invited for an interview on the 18th or 19th and further details will be sent out.

Good luck to all x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beri123)
    Hiya,

Do you know how many tests we have to do?
    Is it a numerical test and a verbal reasoning? Also do we have to a maths test on the day? x

So stressed about this!!
    If you've applied for Store Management it's just verbal and numerical. If you go on the SHL website you can take mock tests and get graded on them. I've no idea about on the day, sorry.

I just got an email about five minutes ago inviting me to a phone interview Only got a couple of days to prepare for it but at least it gets it out of the way. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    How many times? There are practise questions as part of the test procedure.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, just want to say good luck to everyone

I've done the phone interview and they e-mailed me saying I passed it and that they were still interviewing people, but I should hear soon about the work sample day. Two things I wanna ask are; is anyone else at this stage and has anyone experienced a work sample day before?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.