Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    On a more serious note, I have no idea what you mean. Possibly because the girls I tend to talk to are my friends at university, who are all fairly good at general knowledge. One of them in particular (she studies Law) has a fantastic grasp of things like astronomy, Greek and Roman culture and some parts of philosophy and can easily hold her own in conversations with people who actually study that. Last year I forgot to bring books to uni and whilst asking if I could borrow one, was offered a range from Oscar Wilde, to Jane Austen to Steig Larsson to Ranulph Fiennes' biography.
    I think the lesson is: Don't generalise
    I liked the use of a colon there. When said in a sentence, it doesn't sound quite right, but kudos for trying.

ReputationRep:
    What is the use of general knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    And the forums biggest women hater starts yet again. Don't you have anything else to do?
    Nope, and yet again it looks like I am not alone with this idea :rolleyes:.

ReputationRep:
    Saw thread title, got angry, opened thread, saw who thread starter was, stopped being angry and rolled eyes. I should have known.

For the record, Germany is between France and Poland, WW2 started after Britain and France formed an alliance and signed a pact to defend Poland, Hitler invaded Poland, Britain and France declare war. Japan who are allied with Germany bomb pearl harbour in 1941, America join the war. During this time millions of Jews and other minorities are deported and many perish in concentration camps, Germany invade France and also Russia, who subsequently turn around and kick Germany's arse, meanwhile in Japan America drop the first atomic bomb, Japan surrenders, Italy surrenders, Germany surrenders, Hitler kills himself, everyones happy for a little while until Russia and the US start giving each other dirty looks.

Sorry. I really love WW2 history so I ended up waffling a bit. Anyway, plenty of other girls know the basics.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know who you've talked to then :dontknow: Frankly I think it's appalling that anyone might have little knowledge about WW2, 9/11 etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    I'm guessing the only reason you know though is because you were taught it? .
    surely we were all taught it? We're not just born with WW2 history already indoctrinated into our heads...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    I gots an A in General Studies blud. Wat yu sayin????
    I is saying.......you gotta fix yo wack grammar blud.

Also, on another rather interesting note......most universities (I feel this is appropriate considering we are on a student forum) don't count General Studies, at least in their offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ringham33170)
    I is saying.......you gotta fix yo wack grammar blud.

Also, on another rather interesting note......most universities (I feel this is appropriate considering we are on a student forum) don't count General Studies, at least in their offers
    naoo mainee dis is how i speak iniii...

Anywhoo... :rolleyes:
    Yeah most of them don't, my school's just a spazz and likes us doing the exams.

ReputationRep:
    *Exception over here*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eclectic Styles)
    I liked the use of a colon there. When said in a sentence, it doesn't sound quite right, but kudos for trying.
    You see, I thought it wasn't grammatically correct but sounded ok in my head. I thought I'd just go for it and think outside the box.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, and yet again it looks like I am not alone with this idea :rolleyes:.
    I seriously wonder where all of you boys live though. A lot of you seem to only have had contact with girls who could be described as brain dead sluts with no self-respect, confidence or intelligence. It seems a bit odd given that I've met plenty of girls who are exactly the opposite.

(Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    Saw thread title, got angry, opened thread, saw who thread starter was, stopped being angry and rolled eyes. I should have known.

For the record, Germany is between France and Poland, WW2 started after Britain and France formed an alliance and signed a pact to defend Poland, Hitler invaded Poland, Britain and France declare war. Japan who are allied with Germany bomb pearl harbour in 1941, America join the war. During this time millions of Jews and other minorities are deported and many perish in concentration camps, Germany invade France and also Russia, who subsequently turn around and kick Germany's arse, meanwhile in Japan America drop the first atomic bomb, Japan surrenders, Italy surrenders, Germany surrenders, Hitler kills himself, everyones happy for a little while until Russia and the US start giving each other dirty looks.

Sorry. I really love WW2 history so I ended up waffling a bit. Anyway, plenty of other girls know the basics.
    Good work, fellow intelligent female. Stay strong; apparently girls who know anything about history or general knowledge are in such short supply that we may well have to be classified as endangered.

ReputationRep:
    you cant generlaise something like this from the small sample of girls you know. you may know a hundred or so, but how many are in the world? how can you justify this? =.= your arguement is invalid.

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who thought 1. axminster (a little town near where i used to live) was a city once but then farmers blew up the cathedral
    2. Westminster abbey was made of cork
    3. The glastonbury tor is a fake, the real one is a pipe that stands up on a mound in the mining district of cornwall.

I think such quantative and qualative statistics can only lead to one solid hypothesis, boys lack general knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    That protester was a male. What's your excuse?

ReputationRep:
    OMGZZZZ HARRY STTYYYYYYLLLLLEEEESSSS <3 <3 <3 <3

Whut was topic again lolololololololololololol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    surely we were all taught it? We're not just born with WW2 history already indoctrinated into our heads...
    Not really. You do not have to be taught something in order to know it. You could have talked about it with your parents, friends, seen or read something about it etc.

ReputationRep:
    maybe you should consider talking to other people...i mean, the girls you've met yet seem to be reaaaaaaaly stupid

ReputationRep:
    Not really. You do not have to be taught something in order to know it. You could have talked about it with your parents, friends, seen or read something about it etc.
    Which is still a form of teaching, but still - why do guys 'know' it but girls were only 'taught' it? How do you know I didn't read about it or talk to other people about it (which, oddly enough, is actually how I happen to know about it :fyi:)

ReputationRep:
    Even though the OP is a misogynist ****, he does kind of have a point here. :sigh:

I think most girls actually do have general knowledge, but, the proportion that don't does seem to be higher among girls than it is among boys.
    That's just the impression I've got based on the people I have met in life, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: If you will surround yourself with idiots, then what do you expect?

I personally know very few people like that, male or female.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.