Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    Most Warwick students consider Oxbridge and LSE as benchmarks, not UCL. I think Warwick competes (or tries to do so) with Oxbridge and LSE, not with UCL. Again, that is not to say that UCL isn't a great uni. I'm just saying most Warwick students/grads don't see it as its competitor.
    Similarly, tutors from Bristol's economics department say that they are competitors to Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick and occasionally Notts. They kept mentioning that throughout the open day and would never see themselves as on par with Durham, Bath, York, etc which they arguably are.

Speaking of UG economics, I would say that UCL = Warwick, not more not less.

In terms of employment prospect in the UK, UCL=Warwick again.

International recognition among top recruiters outside of UK (although both not being very famous): UCL>Warwick

If this was in a Maths forum: Warwick>UCL

Then it's really just City/London vs Campus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eugeneho)
    Well I had offers from both and I decided on UCL for the following reasons: Much stronger international reputation and global rankings (I'm international so it matters to me), being able to living in a vibrant global city, probably if you're looking for a job in the city the london factor may help a bit. Probably helps to note that UCL is part of the golden triangle and Group of 5 (G5) universities.
    UCL does not have a much stronger international reputation than Warwick, both are roughly equally established in terms of prestige. Employers don't give a damn about whether UCL is part of the stupid golden triangle or whatever. As far as employers are concerned, regardless of industry (even investment banking), they're not going to choose a BSc 2.1 Economics graduate from UCL over a BSc 2.1Economics graduate from Warwick based simply on institutional prestige. In fact, there is absolutely no difference in prestige in any employer's eyes when UCL and Warwick are concerned.

If you're looking for a job in the city, the only way in which UCL would be the preferred choice over Warwick is its proximity to top employers, but that would count for nothing if your Warwick job applicant has the initiative to attend careers fairs in London, and visit such employers.

OP UCL is no better than Warwick. And vice-versa. The factors you should consider are i) do you want a campus education? ii) do you prefer the city or somewhere more secluded? iii) london is significantly more expensive iv) if you're into sports, an enclosed campus sports complex is probably the preferred option.
    There are of course, a multitude of other factors that you'll have to explore yourself. Academic prestige should not be one of them. Both are excellent institutions that are no better than the other.

ReputationRep:
    I say go for UCL simply because of the location.
    UCL and Warwick = same in terms of prospects

ReputationRep:
    For the reason that Warwick Business School is one of the best in the world, I'd say Warwick. Once you're on an undergraduate course there, if you wanted to further your education to a Masters or an MBA it would be an easier transition than applying from another uni. The business school academics teach undergraduates too.

Warwick also has an amazing union, hundreds of sports clubs and societies and a picturesque campus. Warwick is also ranked higher in the UK in both the Times and Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    I may have offers from both, I'm gonna go for UCL :P

ReputationRep:
    UCL, since its not in Leam and you get to have nights out in London rather than Coventry

edit; lol at people thinking Coventry is a better place to head out than London, what are you guys, morons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sine nomine)
    UCL does not have a much stronger international reputation than Warwick, both are roughly equally established in terms of prestige. Employers don't give a damn about whether UCL is part of the stupid golden triangle or whatever. As far as employers are concerned, regardless of industry (even investment banking), they're not going to choose a BSc 2.1 Economics graduate from UCL over a BSc 2.1Economics graduate from Warwick based simply on institutional prestige. In fact, there is absolutely no difference in prestige in any employer's eyes when UCL and Warwick are concerned.

If you're looking for a job in the city, the only way in which UCL would be the preferred choice over Warwick is its proximity to top employers, but that would count for nothing if your Warwick job applicant has the initiative to attend careers fairs in London, and visit such employers.

OP UCL is no better than Warwick. And vice-versa. The factors you should consider are i) do you want a campus education? ii) do you prefer the city or somewhere more secluded? iii) london is significantly more expensive iv) if you're into sports, an enclosed campus sports complex is probably the preferred option.
    There are of course, a multitude of other factors that you'll have to explore yourself. Academic prestige should not be one of them. Both are excellent institutions that are no better than the other.
    Well, in my part of the world (asia), UCL does have a better reputation than warwick. It helps to note that in my country there are many more scholars who head to UCL than to warwick (scholarship providers do hint their preference in sending their scholars to UCL). I do agree with you that in terms of employability there isn't going to be any significant difference between both unis. But I still attest to the fact that UCL is more prestigious than warwick at least in my part of the world. The london factor helps to distinguish UCL from warwick from the eyes of people here.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in my part of the world (asia), UCL does have a better reputation than warwick. It helps to note that in my country there are many more scholars who head to UCL than to warwick (scholarship providers do hint their preference in sending their scholars to UCL). I do agree with you that in terms of employability there isn't going to be any significant difference between both unis. But I still attest to the fact that UCL is more prestigious than warwick at least in my part of the world. The london factor helps to distinguish UCL from warwick from the eyes of people here.
    I'm from Hong Kong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and in my honest opinion there is no discrepancy in prestige between Warwick and University College London, from a Hong Kong perspective. 'The London factor' is absolute toss, from the numerous employers I've spoken to in Hong Kong. South bank is in London, does that make it brilliant? No. Oxbridge aren't located in London, yet they are more prestigious than UCL.

Maybe from your part of the world UCL is more prestigious than Warwick. But from mine, they are the same. If anything, Hong Kong is a massive financial cluster in which employers crave commerce graduates. Warwick is well known because it is one of the world's best business schools, UCL isn't known to be particularly special at anything in Hong Kong.

It's all a matter of perspective.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, people need to calm down and stop acting like their word is the absolute truth over this. Both universities are excellent overall and excellent for economics. Their employment prospects are brilliant and their graduates are of a high standard. I have both offers too, and given their similar standard and courses I'd recommend that you make it based on location.

I'm guessing you know the story. Personally I'm thinking Warwick because London is expensive, I've lived there for 17 years and probably will for another 40 or something, and I quite want to live on a campus. I'll see after I visit UCL, if you have to choose between them make sure you visit both, two days are probably worth it for those 3 years of your life. And don't have illusions about amazing nights out in London (above other cities), assuming you're on a student budget, unless you're up for £30 door money and £5 per beer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Hong Kong. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and in my honest opinion there is no discrepancy in prestige between Warwick and University College London, from a Hong Kong perspective. 'The London factor' is absolute toss, from the numerous employers I've spoken to in Hong Kong. South bank is in London, does that make it brilliant? No. Oxbridge aren't located in London, yet they are more prestigious than UCL.

Maybe from your part of the world UCL is more prestigious than Warwick. But from mine, they are the same. If anything, Hong Kong is a massive financial cluster in which employers crave commerce graduates. Warwick is well known because it is one of the world's best business schools, UCL isn't known to be particularly special at anything in Hong Kong.

Yup, same where I'm from. I agree with him that more people might have heard of UCL outside the UK, but don't think it makes much difference to employers.

ReputationRep:
    You probably are confused with the word prestige and words such as familiarity and popularity. Just because the school isn't familiar it's not prestigious. Similarly, not all popular schools are prestigious.

Honda is popular and for those who have heard of it are probably impressed with it. But I don't think Honda is as prestigious as BMW or Jaguar.

I'm sure you've heard of the University of Washington and not of Williams College.

Now, I'm not saying that UCL is a Honda and Warwick is a BMW. The closest comparisons for both unis would be:

UCL = Mercedes Benz
    Warwick = Volvo

So, whilst Mercedez is quite a popular brand and Volvo isn't exactly (as there are fewer Volvo cars that run on the face of the earth), they are similarly quite excellent brands in reality, and those who are familiar with both brands would be able tell that both brands are great brands and neither car is superior to the other.

ReputationRep:
    You probably are confused with the word prestige and words such as familiarity and popularity. Just because the school isn't familiar it's not prestigious. Similarly, not all popular schools are prestigious.

Honda is popular and for those who have heard of it are probably impressed with it. But I don't think Honda is as prestigious as BMW or Jaguar.

I'm sure you've heard of the University of Washington and not of Williams College.

Now, I'm not saying that UCL is a Honda and Warwick is a BMW. The closest comparisons for both unis would be:

UCL = Mercedes Benz
    Warwick = Volvo

So, whilst Mercedez is quite a popular brand and Volvo isn't exactly (as there are fewer Volvo cars that run on the face of the earth), they are similarly quite excellent brands in reality, and those who are familiar with both brands would be able tell that both brands are great brands and neither car is superior to the other.
    I agree with it. When you are familiar with UK unis, you know that there are the same . However, I think polularity is quite an important factor too if you are going to work in other countries as they may not know about the less popular one(although it is quite ridiculous when the manager dun know about UCL/Warwick).

ReputationRep:

Why bring in South Bank and Oxbridge? I did NOT say that because of the london factor, all london unis are better than those not based in london. What we're comparing in this thread are universities of similar calibre. And precisely because both universities are equally outstanding, that's why there's even a debatable discussion taking place here. I'm only saying that in the eyes of many UCL has a slight edge over warwick because it's based in london. But I agree that it can be double-edged because some people prefer to be in a campus rather than a city. It's a matter of your personal preference in this case.

And we are talking about economics here aren't we. We shouldn't bring in the business school to compare. UCL doesn't even have a business school.

ReputationRep:

UCL = Mercedes Benz
    Warwick = Volvo

I am clear of the distinction between the words. I did not make any reference to popularity at all. I just wanted to bring across the point that due to the difference in perceived reputation/prestige between both schools, more scholars choose UCL over warwick and more scholarship providers prefer their scholars to go to UCL rather than warwick in my country.

ReputationRep:
    And we are talking about economics here aren't we. We shouldn't bring in the business school to compare. UCL doesn't even have a business school.
    Good point. However, Warwick having a prestigious business school helps its image in the corporate world and business community. Let's face it, economics is a field that deals with wealth, resources, finances and money, so it has a direct relationship with management or business. And, I think it is for this very reason why Warwick, despite its relative young age, gets the respect it is getting now. If Warwick has not have a prestigious business school, it would probably have a harder time competing with the older and more established schools like UCL, Imperial and more so, LSE and Oxbridge in graduate employment opportunities and respect amongst employers.

ReputationRep:
    I am clear of the distinction between the words. I did not make any reference to popularity at all. I just wanted to bring across the point that due to the difference in perceived reputation/prestige between both schools, more scholars choose UCL over warwick and more scholarship providers prefer their scholars to go to UCL rather than warwick in my country.
    Thanks for sharing that, but out of curiosity, do you have the actual data of yield rates of both Warwick and UCL? It would be quite interesting to see the data, so we can actually compare which uni gets more from which certain demographic, etc...

I'm an International and I turned down an LSE offer for Warwick. I'd like to know how many have done the same thing I did and from which countries. It would be interesting to see how more popular UCL is to Warwick in terms of yield rates, if at all Warwick is less popular than UCL.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is ridiculous.

If you are not in London and are not ranked in the top 200 unis in the world, you get less prestige outside the UK than another uni. based in London and ranked in the top 25.

Now, Warwick business school is good. Hence employers have heard of Warwick.

But that does not offset the London and ranking factors. At least not in continental europe. And sorry I do not have statistics to prove it.

Arguing that at Warwick you compete with Oxbridge and LSE and not UCL, would be like saying that Volvo competes with Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Maserati (apparently using metaphores makes it easier for some people to understand what's going on) and that's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for sharing that, but out of curiosity, do you have the actual data of yield rates of both Warwick and UCL? It would be quite interesting to see the data, so we can actually compare which uni gets more from which certain demographic, etc...

I'm an International and I turned down an LSE offer for Warwick. I'd like to know how many have done the same thing I did and from which countries. It would be interesting to see how more popular UCL is to Warwick in terms of yield rates, if at all Warwick is less popular than UCL.
    Too bad, you just hindered your career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchous)
    Too bad, you just hindered your career prospects.
    This is just a jest, right?

I did quite well after leaving Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchous)
    This thread is ridiculous.

If you are not in London and are not ranked in the top 200 unis in the world, you get less prestige outside the UK than another uni. based in London and ranked in the top 25.

Now, Warwick business school is good. Hence employers have heard of Warwick.

But that does not offset the London and ranking factors. At least not in continental europe. And sorry I do not have statistics to prove it.

Arguing that at Warwick you compete with Oxbridge and LSE and not UCL, would be like saying that Volvo competes with Rolls-Royce, Bentley and Maserati (apparently using metaphores makes it easier for some people to understand what's going on) and that's ridiculous.
    9 out of 10 times rankings are bulls***. You seriously think UCL is the 4th best uni in the world? :lol:

This argument is just petty now. Warwick students are held in just as high, if not higher regard, by employers, and although Warwick may not have the international reputation of Oxbridge or LSE, there are certain departments academically speaking that are on par with LSE/Oxbridge (e.g. the maths and econ departments).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.