Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bcolmans)
    It's only the first few months of Uni so you shouldn't get to worried. I'm sure there's a lot of social clubs you are able to join and meet people. Maybe you should organise something for you and your flat mates to do? If it get's any worse you should see a GP.
    Yeah I'll get organising more after the hols when I've caught up with work! Thanks!

(Original post by BambieWambie)
    Your mums beating up your sister
    Did you not read the bit, no trolls? Anyway, I don't have a sister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kratos90)
    Some natural supplements for depression/feeling down are St. John's Wort, Rhodiola Rosea, Bacopa Monnieri. The reaon for you depression is blindingly obvious - a lack of social interaction. This can be caused by social anxiety, which could be caused by ADD (Inattentive non-hyperactive ADHD) as well as many other things. The reason I mention ADHD, is because you seem to have found it pretty hard to organise you time which is a significant problem for those with the condition. Are you also slow at processing information (you can also be highly intelligent too)? Do you struggle with group conversations? There's is a big connection between ADHD, social anxiety/general anxiety and depression; namely lower amounts of dopamine, but it's much more complicated than that.
    I know it's a lack of social interaction If you wouldn't mind please could you read my other posts, you might understand the situation more. I wouldn't normally struggle with group conversations, but when people have their backs turned to me and are talking about some guy they've met at a party together I tend to struggle a bit then I don't think I'm slow with processing information, depends what the information is really. Thanks for replying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippa90)
    I know it's a lack of social interaction If you wouldn't mind please could you read my other posts, you might understand the situation more. I wouldn't normally struggle with group conversations, but when people have their backs turned to me and are talking about some guy they've met at a party together I tend to struggle a bit then I don't think I'm slow with processing information, depends what the information is really. Thanks for replying
    Yes I've read. What I was trying to say was you need to find the reason for this lack of social interaction. OK they ignore you. Why? From my point of view there can only be 2 reasons: 1) You have nothing in common with them, in which case you need to find other people 2) You struggle to connect with even those you have things in common with. If it's 2 then it may be because they feel awkward with you because of many reasons, SA and ADHD are only 2 of which I mentioned.

Low daily doses of alpha-methyltryptamine would solve your problem if the latter was the case until you could actually get some amphetamine and SSRI's etc prescribed from a doc. I highly recommend you not to take alpha-methyltryptamine as it's a research chemical but it would change your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    And I know many patients that have looked up symptoms which ended up feeding their neurosies and pretty much drove themselves into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

We don't need little A-level kids thinking they can diagnose psychiatric illness.
    Your argument is pretty much the same as I saw some woman claiming..
    She didn't want anyone to have cancer scans for the single reason as that they were not 100% accurate, and caused some people problems due to the undue stress of believing they had cancer.

Knowledge is power. Having a basic knowledge of illness is far better than what happened before - being told to do a whole range of silly things based on superstition and old wives tales.
    The way I see it, and other people should see it, is that anyone can read from a book (or be told by people who have read a book), if something is a possibility, and therefore requires a visit to the doctor to check out.
    You can't self-diagnose cancer, but you are encouraged to check yourself your lumps - if you find a lump, you get a professional to check it. I think depression can be looked at the same way. If people are worried about their mental health, they can check with other non-professional people whether they think it's normal or needs checking out, and then they should listen to their doctor if they go for a doctor's visit.

Not every person is a hypochondriac.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've read. What I was trying to say was you need to find the reason for this lack of social interaction. OK they ignore you. Why? From my point of view there can only be 2 reasons: 1) You have nothing in common with them, in which case you need to find other people 2) You struggle to connect with even those you have things in common with. If it's 2 then it may be because they feel awkward with you because of many reasons, SA and ADHD are only 2 of which I mentioned.

Low daily doses of alpha-methyltryptamine would solve your problem if the latter was the case until you could actually get some amphetamine and SSRI's etc prescribed from a doc. I highly recommend you not to take alpha-methyltryptamine as it's a research chemical but it would change your life.
    I think it's mainly because they'll be talking about things that they've done together when I wasn't there or just not invited. If they haven't turned their backs on me then I'll join in, ask questions, laugh about it etc. If they have turned their backs on me though they obviously don't want me in the conversation so I don't intrude. If it's just one on one I could talk to them fine, because we don't have to talk about last night's antics that I wasn't there for. But when they get together (the people on my course in my group anyway) all they can talk about is stuff only they will know about.
    Is this really my problem or theirs?
    Plus I really wouldn't want to go on drugs
    PS. I've been fine with making friends before, so don't think I have ADHD or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Your argument is pretty much the same as I saw some woman claiming..
    She didn't want anyone to have cancer scans for the single reason as that they were not 100% accurate, and caused some people problems due to the undue stress of believing they had cancer.

Knowledge is power. Having a basic knowledge of illness is far better than what happened before - being told to do a whole range of silly things based on superstition and old wives tales.
    The way I see it, and other people should see it, is that anyone can read from a book (or be told by people who have read a book), if something is a possibility, and therefore requires a visit to the doctor to check out.
    You can't self-diagnose cancer, but you are encouraged to check yourself your lumps - if you find a lump, you get a professional to check it. I think depression can be looked at the same way. If people are worried about their mental health, they can check with other non-professional people whether they think it's normal or needs checking out, and then they should listen to their doctor if they go for a doctor's visit.

Not every person is a hypochondriac.
    Plus psychology is such a debatable subject.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's mainly because they'll be talking about things that they've done together when I wasn't there or just not invited. If they haven't turned their backs on me then I'll join in, ask questions, laugh about it etc. If they have turned their backs on me though they obviously don't want me in the conversation so I don't intrude. If it's just one on one I could talk to them fine, because we don't have to talk about last night's antics that I wasn't there for. But when they get together (the people on my course in my group anyway) all they can talk about is stuff only they will know about.
    Is this really my problem or theirs?
    Plus I really wouldn't want to go on drugs
    PS. I've been fine with making friends before, so don't think I have ADHD or anything
    Well it's your problem, not theirs, because they're having a good time and you're not. I don't mean to sound harsh, I do feel for you. I don't think it matters if you were there or not because there are some people that would just fit into that group conversation regardless if they were there or not. I just don't think you belong with that group.

And regarding drugs don't knock it 'till you've tried it. JK. But what are you expecting from a doctor? If you get diagnosed wth depression you're going to get drugs (probably SSRI's). He's not going to turn you into a social butterfly.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's your problem, not theirs, because they're having a good time and you're not. I don't mean to sound harsh, I do feel for you. I don't think it matters if you were there or not because there are some people that would just fit into that group conversation regardless if they were there or not. I just don't think you belong with that group.

And regarding drugs don't knock it 'till you've tried it. JK. But what are you expecting from a doctor? If you get diagnosed wth depression you're going to get drugs (probably SSRI's). He's not going to turn you into a social butterfly.
    It's going to have to be my problem for the next 2 and a half years then because that's pretty much my whole work group who I have to be with 9-5 mon-fri. Yay.

I know, I need more of a life coach lol

ReputationRep:
    Plus psychology is such a debatable subject.
    Plus, if you find depressed people, or people who were depressed, they are often knowledgeable on the subject.
    I'm no expert, but I should still be able to advise you if I want or can. I'm sorry I haven't had much to add on-topic, but I had to answer GodSpeed there.

In my experience by the way, it is the unqualified people online who are more knowledgeable and helpful than the professionals.
    The professionals often only become helpful at the point that it is irrational and very serious.
    Your case is more minor, and seems to be due to your situation. Talking it over in a forum is, imo, the best thing you can do right now.

Some on-topic stuff.. All I will say is that it definitely is worth you keeping an eye on, but I wouldn't say it was full-blown depression right now. These are how these things start though, so I am by no means brushing it aside.

If possible, I'd suggest not going on drugs - only do this if the other possibilities fail. Try to deal with friendship issues first. Don't ask me how - I don't exactly have many friends here in my first year of uni either. Drugs have side-effects... best to stay off them if possible. If you exhaust other options, then it is worth speaking to a doctor about them..

ReputationRep:

If she goes to a therapist he could give her cognitive behavioural therapy, she might not get drugs and she doesnt have to take them if she doesnt want to.

ReputationRep:
    It's going to have to be my problem for the next 2 and a half years then because that's pretty much my whole work group who I have to be with 9-5 mon-fri. Yay.

I know, I need more of a life coach lol
    OK. Well I have said what I would do, but each to their own. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    If she goes to a therapist he could give her cognitive behavioural therapy, she might not get drugs and she doesnt have to take them if she doesnt want to.
    Which is useful for a person to discover that people aren't making fun of them and so they become less anxious in social situations such as walking down the street etc. When out with a group of people, that's a different story and wouldn't really change much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Plus, if you find depressed people, or people who were depressed, they are often knowledgeable on the subject.
    I'm no expert, but I should still be able to advise you if I want or can. I'm sorry I haven't had much to add on-topic, but I had to answer GodSpeed there.

In my experience by the way, it is the unqualified people online who are more knowledgeable and helpful than the professionals.
    The professionals often only become helpful at the point that it is irrational and very serious.
    Your case is more minor, and seems to be due to your situation. Talking it over in a forum is, imo, the best thing you can do right now.

Some on-topic stuff.. All I will say is that it definitely is worth you keeping an eye on, but I wouldn't say it was full-blown depression right now. These are how these things start though, so I am by no means brushing it aside.

If possible, I'd suggest not going on drugs - only do this if the other possibilities fail. Try to deal with friendship issues first. Don't ask me how - I don't exactly have many friends here in my first year of uni either. Drugs have side-effects... best to stay off them if possible. If you exhaust other options, then it is worth speaking to a doctor about them..
    Yeah I dunno what was with him, it was almost as if he was saying that people who might have depression aren't allowed to talk to anyone but professionals. Surely that would make it worse, less social interaction? lol Anyways..

No I can't see drugs helping, I need to sort out my situation somehow. Suppose I'll just have to stay positive, organise lots of things, and not feel hurt when they don't go to plan. Eventually I may get somewhere Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    OK. Well I have said what I would do, but each to their own. Good luck
    Well you have pretty much told me to give up with the people in my group. Which I'm not going to btw.

ReputationRep:
    Which is useful for a person to discover that people aren't making fun of them and so they become less anxious in social situations such as walking down the street etc. When out with a group of people, that's a different story and wouldn't really change much.
    True, i suppose there isnt anything that she can take/do which will make her more social (although i hear alcohol works wonders)

ReputationRep:
    Lol indeed

Well, I didn't get to sleep until nearly 8am so am still in bed! Spoke to a girl who lives in my halls though and we agreed to meet up more Kinda worried me though because she told me she decided who she's going to live with next year after about 2 weeks of living here! Now I'm scared that everyone I know has as well
    You didnt get to sleep until 8am? Why, clubbing? alcohol? xbox? depressed?

Maybe if you hang out with that girl more you can become friends with her friends. Who knows, you might end up living with them. Do you mind me asking what uni you are at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewroll)
    True, i suppose there isnt anything that she can take/do which will make her more social (although i hear alcohol works wonders)
    Oh boy there is. And much better things than alcohol hehe. Dexedrine which is prescribed for ADHD. Ecstasy (much safer than alcohol if it is pure) is possibly the most pro-social drug out there. And many others.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind I'm not a doctor and all, but I don't think youre depressed. I think you're going through a bad time in uni and that that has left you feeling down, but I don't think you're depressed as such, I think it's just a bad patch. Have you tried making friends with people not in the same halls as you? I wasn't on a really friendly basis with people in my block in halls, so I met people on my course, in other parts of college etc so don't give up just cos there aren't people in your uni halls!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I dunno what was with him, it was almost as if he was saying that people who might have depression aren't allowed to talk to anyone but professionals. Surely that would make it worse, less social interaction? lol Anyways..

No I can't see drugs helping, I need to sort out my situation somehow. Suppose I'll just have to stay positive, organise lots of things, and not feel hurt when they don't go to plan. Eventually I may get somewhere Thanks!
    They do sound like ********s.. I think your best bet may be to look for other groups of people you might get on better with.

ReputationRep:
    I hate to advocate drugs but they always worked for me. I don't have depression but still they always work. I find it sad how there are so many great substances that can really help people in so many ways. You just need to read medical journals. Doctor's are so often clueless and the government and our parents make us think smoking and alcohol are OK when there are much safer AND better alternatives. THESE ARE ADDICTIVE RECREATIONAL DRUGS TOO. I'm sure more people will develop a mind of their own in time. Especially with the power of the internet, access to journals and thousands of anecdotes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.