Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profoflife)
    Can i just ask how old you are?

I dont exactly agree with cocaine being a lgoical progression from MDMA......my view is, if you are prone to taking drugs, i.e of that disposition, then most recreational users will smoke puff, do some coke, take pills, trips, maybe poppers, 2cvs, mushrooms....and stop and heroin and crack pretty much.

My point being, if you take MDMA, you will undoubtedly try coke, or vica versa, by definition of being someone interested in dopamine release in your brain.
    I'm 22, almost 23. I do not think one leads to the other because the usage rates are wildly different - mdma is only used by 3-5% and coke is used by over 10%, and some estimates are that almost half of all people have tried weed. By 2cvs, do you mean stuff like 2cb and 2ci? I can see why you'd take anything but crack and heroin, but I don't think many people have worked out that coke isn't worth doing either. When you talk about drug usage where are you coming from? Are you a university user or a normal working class user (for want of a better term), I think they are quite different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    It's acceptable to drink, is society constantly pissed out of its nut?
    The reason why drinking is acceptable in society is because people started drinking so many years ago when its affects weren't known, it's not feasible for the government to attempt to ban it because its become socially acceptable and there would be a mass revolt, but they are trying in other ways to discourage people by soon to be setting minimum unit prices and taxing heavily. If alcohol didn't exist, and no one knew of it, society would be far more functional, and the NHS wouldn't be as heavily burdened.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't describe it as fun as most people have here. When I'm on it I feel euphoric and uninhibited and floaty and connected and transcental and completely and totally emphathetic. That's not 'fun', it's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I'm 22, almost 23. I do not think one leads to the other because the usage rates are wildly different - mdma is only used by 3-5% and coke is used by over 10%, and some estimates are that almost half of all people have tried weed. By 2cvs, do you mean stuff like 2cb and 2ci? I can see why you'd take anything but crack and heroin, but I don't think many people have worked out that coke isn't worth doing either. When you talk about drug usage where are you coming from? Are you a university user or a normal working class user (for want of a better term), I think they are quite different things.
    You still have many years to go before you can form a complete opinion i think. Im a little older than you and have been through the whole experience. What is a normal working class user??!!! Categorising differnt types of users, unless you are referring to users of H or crack makes no sense.

Stats are stats - MDMA isnt really used much by professionals because they A) afford coke and B) although they are not a subsitute for each other in any way at all, coke is much easier to get over and deal with during and after.

I am not saying one leads to the other, just saying if you do one, chances are you will try others, in no particular order.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's hip to be square. Even though it's not really square..

ReputationRep:
    Inisgnificant, I think this is a really good point.

Also worth noting, if cannabis was legal for example, hospitals wouldnt full of stoned people who had beaten each other up or vandalised something either. In fact none of the illegal substances apart from cocaine and its derivatives would result in that type of behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profoflife)
    You still have many years to go before you can form a complete opinion i think. Im a little older than you and have been through the whole experience. What is a normal working class user??!!! Categorising differnt types of users, unless you are referring to users of H or crack makes no sense.

Stats are stats - MDMA isnt really used much by professionals because they A) afford coke and B) although they are not a subsitute for each other in any way at all, coke is much easier to get over and deal with during and after.

I am not saying one leads to the other, just saying if you do one, chances are you will try others, in no particular order.
    I can already see some people who missed the drugs phase through uni becoming yuppie coke users. The difference I feel between normal working class users and university students, is that there is a defining point for university students to stop i.e. the end of their degree or just before exams. What is the defining point for a normal person to stop? Furthermore they very rarely change cities, so they don't get away from their friends who they use with or their dealers. It is also different to be a drug user from the working classes, where it is shunned and you are relatively outcasted, compared to university where it is almost the done thing. If your life isn't progressing or changing you are unlikely to stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    The reason why drinking is acceptable in society is because people started drinking so many years ago when its affects weren't known, it's not feasible for the government to attempt to ban it because its become socially acceptable and there would be a mass revolt, but they are trying in other ways to discourage people by soon to be setting minimum unit prices and taxing heavily. If alcohol didn't exist, and no one knew of it, society would be far more functional, and the NHS wouldn't be as heavily burdened.
    The idea that the NHS is burdened by alcohol and tobacco is a myth. Combined taxes on alcohol and tobacco far outstrip any cost to the public purse by their misuse. Furthermore the idea that they are so engrained in our society they cannot be banned is untrue - they tried it in 1930s America and guess what happened? The price went up, the quality went down, usage went up, and so did deaths. They also couldn't raise the taxes needed to counter the problem. Now that sounds like the position almost all illegal drugs are in now in our society doesn't it? High usage rates, low quality, and far more damage caused by their illegality than if they were legal. I mean if almost half of people using cannabis doesn't make it engrained and acceptable in our society in your eyes I don't know what will... The need to get high and relax is a basic human need that comes after food, shelter, stability, and friendship. I can't believe people still think the war on drugs can be won.

ReputationRep:
    I can already see some people who missed the drugs phase through uni becoming yuppie coke users. The difference I feel between normal working class users and university students, is that there is a defining point for university students to stop i.e. the end of their degree or just before exams. What is the defining point for a normal person to stop? Furthermore they very rarely change cities, so they don't get away from their friends who they use with or their dealers. It is also different to be a drug user from the working classes, where it is shunned and you are relatively outcasted, compared to university where it is almost the done thing. If your life isn't progressing or changing you are unlikely to stop.
    Yuppie coke users...interesting!

I agree, some students just take drugs because every else is and then they stop after as you say. Some will continue, but it has little to do where they are. People who use will always find other people, regardless of where they are.

By working class users are you referring to people that havent been to uni? Im unaware of any people that have not been to uni being outcast for dabbling....i know a few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Do you know anything about it? It doesn't seem like you do.
    The op's making a bloody thread about it for christ sake! Do you think she knows anything about it?

To all those who are like 'dude, you're ignorant' etc, (including you), you are hilariously coming across as trying to be cool. Next you'll all be jumping up and down, raising your hands shouting 'oh I do it! I do it!'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I think you might have misinterpreted my post. I wasn't asking why alcohol was acceptable, I was asking if that meant that everyone is constantly pissed and society has come to a complete standstill because of alcohol?

The truth is it hasn't, I can tell you now that I'm not pissed out of my nut at the minute (and I do enjoy a good drink), and I daresay neither are you. Just because something is acceptable in society, doesn't mean everyone does it to excess. It's the same with anything. Gay sex is becoming more socially acceptable, does that mean everyone is too busy taking it up the arse for society to function?

I honestly think that if substances like MDMA were more acceptable then less people would drink.

ReputationRep:
    The idea that the NHS is burdened by alcohol and tobacco is a myth. Combined taxes on alcohol and tobacco far outstrip any cost to the public purse by their misuse. Furthermore the idea that they are so engrained in our society they cannot be banned is untrue - they tried it in 1930s America and guess what happened? The price went up, the quality went down, usage went up, and so did deaths. They also couldn't raise the taxes needed to counter the problem. Now that sounds like the position almost all illegal drugs are in now in our society doesn't it? High usage rates, low quality, and far more damage caused by their illegality than if they were legal. I mean if almost half of people using cannabis doesn't make it engrained and acceptable in our society in your eyes I don't know what will... The need to get high and relax is a basic human need that comes after food, shelter, stability, and friendship. I can't believe people still think the war on drugs can be won.
    Do not take me for a mug, I'm going out with someone who has been smoking weed for the past 6 years everyday of his life, and I understand that the need for relaxation is paramount, but I think it's bad, and even he agrees that he can't relax without having a zut, I think you should be able to relax yourself in other ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    The op's making a bloody thread about it for christ sake! Do you think she knows anything about it?

To all those who are like 'dude, you're ignorant' etc, (including you), you are hilariously coming across as trying to be cool. Next you'll all be jumping up and down, raising your hands shouting 'oh I do it! I do it!'.
    Which would be fine if the OP had actually been asking a question within his thread. Which he wasn't. Instead he was saying that MDMA turns peoples mind into mush, which is a bold statement to make when you know nothing about the drug.

Did you even read what he said, or did you just read the title? Seems like the latter.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's the only thing that makes the ****ty music they play in clubs tolerable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by You Failed)
    Which would be fine if the OP had actually been asking a question within his thread. Which he wasn't. Instead he was saying that MDMA turns peoples mind into mush, which is a bold statement to make when you know nothing about the drug.

Did you even read what he said, or did you just read the title? Seems like the latter.
    He didn't say it turns your mind to mush, he asked how people are still mentally coherent - which isn't a bold statement, more of a misinformed question :p:

ReputationRep:
    Do that many people do MDMA that often? It seems even people who are into mostly do pills and only occaisionally do MDMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake22)
    Do that many people do MDMA that often? It seems even people who are into mostly do pills and only occaisionally do MDMA.
    Pills and MDMA are the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    As other people have said, it's fun. Tbh i don't see the problem with it. I don't understand how alcohol is so accepted in society, yet drugs like E and Coke aren't! I mean, is there really any difference? I've taken all three and i can honestly say that the worse effects have been from alcohol. Personally i think E, Coke and cannabis should be made legal. It'd be a lot safer.

ReputationRep:
    I Love Drugs Drugs Love Me,
    Crack Cocaine and Ecstasy,
    With a Sniff Sniff here and injection there,
    Now I'm Intensive Care.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Pills and MDMA are the same thing.
    You'll do very well to get pills that have any decent amount of MDMA in them. People would do more MDMA if they could get hold of it, its a matter of supply as its more difficult to get. Also worth mentioning that all MDMA is now synthetic where it used to be naturally prodcued in Holland. It is now illgal there so its manufactured.

MDMA is supposed to be the only ingredient in pills (apart from the binding chemicals) but pills are full of all sorts of crap, caffine, speed, and normally some very suspiscious other stuff as well.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.