Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just been scammed at a cash point :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear...

ReputationRep:
    That sucks. What a *******!Filthy vermin stealing money like that.
    Hope you get them back!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Is that sarcasm? It's a lot! (or maybe we have different opinions of what a lot is :P)
    I misread. I thought they only spent £20. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    FYL, sorry to hear that.

ReputationRep:
    £1,150

£250 at a cashpoint (cos that's the max my student account will let me take out a day) and a £900 debit transaction...
    Thanks for the heads up!

Holy crap im so angry for you right now, what a scumbag

ReputationRep:
    cheers for posting, sry u lost ur money but now other ppl are aware of this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by F i s)
    I misread. I thought they only spent £20. :rolleyes:
    Hah no, that's what I have left! Maybe they thought they'd be nice and leave me enough to buy food or whatever I need until I hopefully get the money back?

ReputationRep:
    No but I really wish I had!
    You should, it's entertaining and informative

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the post. I'm already really paranoid about cashpoints but now this has made me more vigilant, so thank you! Hope you get your money back though. Must be so annoying! You seem to be reacting okay though - if it were me I'd be in tears for weeks. Let us know what happens.

Ahh this is an old scam that has happened for years. In fact it happened at my local supermarket store, customers had their cards nabbed in the same manner as yours. Since then the supermarket has moved the cash point to the front of the store (it use to be on the side) and have told people to be extremely vigilant.

When I go to a hole in the wall, I always check it. IF it looks odd, dodgey, don't use it.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
      I went to Tesco and thought I'd check my balance before I went in. I put my card in, entered my pin then realised the card had been rejected. I put it back in and it wouldn't come out, then this man came up behind me and told me the same thing had happened to him and re-entering my pin and pressing cancel would get me back my card.

I didn't re-enter my pin but went to report it to Tesco. I then realised how dodgy this man sounded (reentering pin, wtf?) and cancelled my card, but a check at my online banking after cancelling showed that they managed to spend all but £20 of my money :mad:

A look online shows that they used something called a lebanese loop which is basically an envelope put in the card slot which can then be pulled out. Stupid thing is, now I think back on it I remember feeling something a bit odd at the card entry thing, like strips of paper sticking out. I should be more careful

Just posting this thread to warn others! Make sure you check that you can't feel anything where you put the card and be REALLY careful when entering your PIN!
      i read an article about this sort of thing in the daily mail
      your bank have to give you your money back though. might take a while, but they should

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/art...cashpoint.html

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sarky)
      Im loving your signature, 30 A*s what a beast you must be

P.S the guy/girl who made the forum I feel sorry for you, my parents dont use debit cards, they just feel that around every corner someone is waiting to scam them.
      But yeh hopefully you'll get your money back and make sure you think twice about that stuff.

ReputationRep:
      To be fair, Barclays were really good to me when nearly £70 was taken from my card(online), and it was resolved in 2 weeks. I do hope you receive your money back OP. At least in my case, I only stood to lose £70 and not more.

ReputationRep:
      Did u get ur money back?

ReputationRep:
      £1,150

£250 at a cashpoint (cos that's the max my student account will let me take out a day) and a £900 debit transaction...
      If they used your bank account details to set up a fraudulent direct debit I think you will definitely get that back. I think you will get the 250 back too.

I had my credit card cloned at a shop and I never use it in small shops now, only places like tesco.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by itsmyname)
      Did u get ur money back?
      Thanks for the concern! I have recieved the £250 that was taken out of the cashpoint but have to wait a while before they refund me the £900 debit transaction... they need to send me something to sign I think. Idk why :dontknow: At least I have some money to live on now!

(Original post by Doubledog)
      If they used your bank account details to set up a fraudulent direct debit I think you will definitely get that back. I think you will get the 250 back too.

I had my credit card cloned at a shop and I never use it in small shops now, only places like tesco.
      I'm going to try to avoid ATMs and only use it in places like Tesco too- if I need to get money out I can just get cashback when I do any shopping in Tesco/other major stores.

ReputationRep:
      Awwh damn that sucks

At least you got the £250 back Hope you get the £900 back soon!

On a side note, I can recommend what I do:

-Save your banks "Stolen Card" number in your mobile (and always have your mobile on you).
      -If your card ever gets stuck in an ATM, NEVER leave the machine. Just call the bank, explain the situation and cancel the card right away.
      -If you want the card back, can always go in to the bank/shop and say, but it's of no use to anyone now, it's cancelled.

Sure, it leaves you with no card for about a week until you get a new one, but it's better than losing so much money! I've had to do it twice (Warrington is dodgy for card scammers ). Probably could have just gone in to the bank, but didn't want to chance it! Best be safe than sorry.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 15, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.