Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Carlos Tevez earns £286,000-a-week tax free Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Can you change that to picture of the day please?? :sogood:
    No can do.

ReputationRep:
    Sporting employment is not City employment. This is obvious and I do not know why you needed to state that :unsure:
    Do you just go round various threads stating the obvious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Sporting employment is not City employment. This is obvious and I do not know why you needed to state that :unsure:
    Do you just go round various threads stating the obvious?
    The point is: why?

Why are footballers not given the same rights as anyone else?

If it's true that Tevez has had a change of mind and no longer wishes to play then why are people acting like he's commited treason against the state? He's an employee who no longer wishes to do the job. It's a bizarre state of affairs and makes Ronaldo's point a few years ago about 'being a slave' seem fairly reasonable [in certain contexts].

However, if you're trying to say that a footballer shouldn't have those rights then fine. I don't understand that opinion, but go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    Schumacher's salary at the height of his career was £60 million, in fact he's the first sportsman billionaire.

Kimi Raikkonen's salary last year ~£52 million, and he reportedly made £100 million + in his championship winning year 2007 with bonuses. He's getting €16 million this year and he's not even racing, it's contract money from Ferrari.

Like I said, TOP F1 drivers get paid in excess of £30-40 million, are you retarded can you not read? What good is it giving a list of all of them? On that standard I may as well list all the footballers, a lot of whom will have low salaries too.
    I thought it was Tiger Woods...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Being in football is the only form of employment where the employee's rights seem to not exist.

Imagine a Mr. C. Tevez working at an admin office. He has the right to ask for a raise - and could get if his individual performance is worth it. He has the right to resign from his position if he feels that he no longer wishes to work there. And he has the right to, prior to any form of notice being handed in, to seek other employment and attend interviews.

In the football world, all of the above are not only unlikely, but frowned upon and regarded as unfair and mean.
    That's simply wrong, in any other job he could sue the employer for denying those actions.
    With respect, he's getting an insane amount of money for very little work. He was perfectly within his rights to request a transfer but it's his lack of professionalism which my post was highlighting. He's done this time and time before - from Boca Juniors, to Corinthians, to West Ham - falling out with people at the club, threatening to go on strike, going on strike, going AWOL, badmouthing managers and generally being an arse. That is wrong and his latest outburst at City is just a joke - he's an embarrassment to a career which has been very, very generous to him.

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    The point is: why?

Why are footballers not given the same rights as anyone else?

If it's true that Tevez has had a change of mind and no longer wishes to play then why are people acting like he's commited treason against the state? He's an employee who no longer wishes to do the job. It's a bizarre state of affairs and makes Ronaldo's point a few years ago about 'being a slave' seem fairly reasonable [in certain contexts].

However, if you're trying to say that a footballer shouldn't have those rights then fine. I don't understand that opinion, but go for it.
    Jesus wept.

If there were no binding contracts, clubs would not be able to field teams.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 14, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.