Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    unconventional sources of fossil fuels are the alberta tar sands and us oil shale e.g. oil deposited in bitumen form instead of crude oil. technically difficult fuel sources are fossil fuels (namely oil) deposited in the standard form e.g. crude oil, but in technologically difficult areas e.g. the gulf of mexico and ANWR. What you're talking about are alternative energy sources which can be subdivided into things like nuclear and then renewables e.g. wind, HEP, biofuels, solar etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by street.lovin')
    I misread your question! :P It is 'unconventional fossil fuel' and I thought it said 'unconventional energy sources'

Oh my god, I would have got 0/15 mark if it was the exam!
    Lol. What other two topics are you planning to do?
    I'm thinking bridging the gap and tech fix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.nk)
    Water is pretty simple to incorporate. In situ extraction of unconventional oil deposits (e.g. in the Alberta tar sands and US oil shale) is an extremely water intensive process and can lead to pollution of water tables as polluted water is very hard to contain. Development not so sure. You could make a point about the potential for technology to provide truly sustainable energy pathways for North America e.g. the potential for nuclear fusion development, but relating to unconventionals basically talk about the potential for technological developments to minimise negative environmental impacts of extraction e.g. effective containment of polluted water...

Can anyone say how well we need to know the quotes at the back? I can't see them being at all useful in the exam. I'm massively stressed out now. I pretty much like section b but it's section A I'm nervous about... any question predictions for biodiversity/development/superpowers???
    We don't need to know the quotes in our minds, as they give out a clean pre-release in the exam anyway along with a separate resource booklet
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superstar6318)
    Lol. What other two topics are you planning to do?
    I'm thinking bridging the gap and tech fix
    Sorry but those two topics you are planning to do sounds absolutely horrible to me. :P They are hard, why would you do them?!!!! :O

I am planning to do Super Power and Water. There is no way I will go anywhere near Development Gap or Biodiversity!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    The question 'Evaluate the current and future evergy demands in North America'

I wrote an essay for it, but I am still unsure whether I have done it right.

Does the question ask to weight up pros and cons of energy demand?

I don't get it!!!!

What I did was saying how N. America is hungry for energy in the introduction. And quted the number of people in the region.

In the main body I talked about how the demand is rising, using Figure 1 as the evidence. I made link about economic activities and the developments and said that they are contributing to the rising demand.

And then I said about the issues about energy security - how it might not be able to meet the demand etc.

And then ended with how it can meet the demand and without doing that it wont.

I think my essay was really weak :P I did not say abotu how it could have meet its demand and explain it clearly....

I am failing this exam!!!!

ReputationRep:

I don't get it!!!!

What I did was saying how N. America is hungry for energy in the introduction. And quted the number of people in the region.

In the main body I talked about how the demand is rising, using Figure 1 as the evidence. I made link about economic activities and the developments and said that they are contributing to the rising demand.

And then I said about the issues about energy security - how it might not be able to meet the demand etc.

I think my essay was really weak :P I did not say abotu how it could have meet its demand and explain it clearly....

dw, you're not the only one. I don't mind essays because I do English but to be fair I can't remember anything about geography because I find the content hard to understand.

I think you're on the right lines, whenever a question asks you to evaluate it's always to give the pros and cons
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    dw, you're not the only one. I don't mind essays because I do English but to be fair I can't remember anything about geography because I find the content hard to understand.

I think you're on the right lines, whenever a question asks you to evaluate it's always to give the pros and cons

Yeah they are hard to understand. The contents are pretty much all over the place so in exam I ended up talking about one thing and then jump on to something else. Basically you can easily start waffling for the whole exam if you are not focussed enough.

It's so annoyying.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they are hard to understand. The contents are pretty much all over the place so in exam I ended up talking about one thing and then jump on to something else. Basically you can easily start waffling for the whole exam if you are not focussed enough.

It's so annoyying.
    lol yeah I am so stupid to have started my revision late, keep beating myself up about it. I'm lucky if I even get a C at this rate or even a D!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but those two topics you are planning to do sounds absolutely horrible to me. :P They are hard, why would you do them?!!!! :O

I am planning to do Super Power and Water. There is no way I will go anywhere near Development Gap or Biodiversity!
    water is a demon! i would never touch biodiversity. I don't mind superpowers though

ReputationRep:
    I hate this exam so much! I should have started revision earlier!
    Atm I'm doing an essay 'To what extent are unconventional fossil fuel resources sustainable in North America?'

how on earth do I incorporate water, development gap, tech fix and other stuff into my answer?
    Tech fix - contrasting energy technologies, impacts and availability, Desalination and dam technology,
    superpowers - increasing power of russia and gulf states, Effects of nuclear proliferation (shift of power will change)
    Development gap -Role of china in exploiting Africa oil and chinas energy projects such as three georges HEP
    Water - tar sands near the colarado will use up the water

(Original post by a.nk)

Can anyone say how well we need to know the quotes at the back? I can't see them being at all useful in the exam. I'm massively stressed out now. I pretty much like section b but it's section A I'm nervous about... any question predictions for biodiversity/development/superpowers???
    The quotes are there, so that through your essays you can use them as 'evidence' or points to support your argument

I don't get it!!!!

thats not too bad, I would talk about the current trends in energy demand and how it will increase, Also compare to canada and mexico, (rememeber north america includes usa,mexico and canada)
    Also talk about Why you think energy useage will increase such as more cars/AC/Leisure/Population

ReputationRep:
    What would you talk about for:
    Evaluate the future of energy exploitation and supply in north america.

-discus firgure 2 >
    • Canada sell oil and gas and coal, (they have a surplus)
    • Mexico sell oil, gas, ….BUT they are out of coal
    • USa our of oil/gas…so will go to arctic/buy from above. They have excess coal(For mexico?)
    • ANWR, Explotation, Effects, Why
    • More deep sea and north pole

thats all i can think of

EDIT: just realised it also says supply, So wind, Nuclear, Tar sands,

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what case studies should be used for each of the topics on water conflicts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KDSOC)
    Does anyone know what case studies should be used for each of the topics on water conflicts?
    thats the unit with the most!
    every one in the book

ReputationRep:
    for the question 'evaluate the threats to North Americas energy security'
    I've basically talked about the different threats and the extent to which they are bad or good eg A threat would be the fact OPEC have upped their prices but then I've said perhaps North Americas will turn to unconventional fossil fuels because of this and this in turn will lessen the threat to their security.
    then I also mentioned how the emerging economies of china and India are a threat to north Americas energy security etc but then I balanced this statement by saying perhaps north America should turn to nuclear or other renewable sources of energy and this can ensure that their energy is more secure.....etc etc I have no idea if im on the right lines!

ReputationRep:
    for the question 'evaluate the threats to North Americas energy security'
    I've basically talked about the different threats and the extent to which they are bad or good eg A threat would be the fact OPEC have upped their prices but then I've said perhaps North Americas will turn to unconventional fossil fuels because of this and this in turn will lessen the threat to their security.
    then I also mentioned how the emerging economies of china and India are a threat to north Americas energy security etc but then I balanced this statement by saying perhaps north America should turn to nuclear or other renewable sources of energy and this can ensure that their energy is more secure.....etc etc I have no idea if im on the right lines!
    Sounds right, There is a list of them on the first page of the booklet, it includes terrorism and stuff, so you could talk about choke points.

(Just pasted this from a word doc i had, Might help?)

• Low levels of supplies
    • Bric rising requirements
    • Dependence on other countries gas
    • Priec fluctuations
    • Nucelear profileration risks
    • Vulnerability to terrorism
    • Environmental lobby
    • Manipulation of the energy market
    • Environmental legislation
    • Increasing demand
    • Low reserves of energy
    • Political instability in energy source countries
    • Things to include: Internal/External….Economic/environmental…….Global local/ Importance,
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Nothing can be worse than revising water conflict!!!! :O

Good luck everybody. I have one exam tomorrow. And will spend the whole tomorrow's evening doing Geography.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing can be worse than revising water conflict!!!! :O

Good luck everybody. I have one exam tomorrow. And will spend the whole tomorrow's evening doing Geography.
    When did you start revising for Geography anyway?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    When did you start revising for Geography anyway?
    Well,for Geography I started revision as soon as I got the pre release, that was because it was a class revision. XD We did it every lesson. But individual revision only started days ago. :P Although, I have been discussing about it on TSR.

I know, I know,,,,, I am a very very bad student who is not going to do well.

ReputationRep:
    Well,for Geography I started revision as soon as I got the pre release, that was because it was a class revision. XD We did it every lesson. But individual revision only started days ago. :P Although, I have been discussing about it on TSR.

I know, I know,,,,, I am a very very bad student who is not going to do well.
    Once again, I actually feel a bit more relieved knowing there is someone exactly like myself going through the same thing lol; yeah we only went through the pre-release in class and I only started individual revision on Friday :/ SO Un-TSRish.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Once again, I actually feel a bit more relieved knowing there is someone exactly like myself going through the same thing lol; yeah we only went through the pre-release in class and I only started individual revision on Friday :/ SO Un-TSRish.
    hehehehehheehh I just did not have the motivation to do it myself. I have been revising for Business Studies and the retakes so I hardly touched Geography. It's just that I know there are so many to revise for in Geography and it puts me off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.