Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdWishes)
    I agree with .Ali.
    I always wear full makeup (foundation, concealer,highlighter, bronzer, full eye-make-up and straightened hair etc) and I really don't care what other people think or say. I probably don't need to wear all of it but if at the end of the day I feel more confident and am happy with how I look then that's all that matters

I don't get why people have such an issue with it. It's my face and I'll do what I damn well like with it.

Also, it annoys me when people think wearing makeup = cheap orange chavvy look. If you do it right and buy decent makes, it doesn't look like that!

People will always try to make themselves look better. They always have and always will. Get over it OP.

ReputationRep:
    I genuinely can't understand why the OP cares that some girls like to wear make-up. Why does this merit a thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neil_K)
    Too bad if the truth hurts you females. I didn't make the rules, so don't blame me.

Women wear makeup because they look better with it, end of. It's got nothing to do with 'norms'.

Actually, the whole makeup/doing your hair thing started several centuries ago in England. It was originally MEN who used to wear makeup. In the old days it was the kings who used to wear makeup and wigs etc to make themselves look better. Even the idea of carrying a purse was started by men. It started on ships, the guy who was called the 'purser' (the guy who took care of the money on the ship) carried a purse. Women the saw how majestic these things made men look and decided to start wearing makeup, doing their hair, carrying purses etc to themselves to make themselves look more visually attractive. Just a brief history lesson for you there....

Yes they are. Men, with no makeup, look fine and there are very few men who are hard to look at without makeup. But I can guarantee that if all women suddenly stopped wearing makeup, there would be an awful lot of women who would be painful to look at.

That's got nothing to do with makeup. And women still need to trim certain areas too...

Looks aren't as important in a man as they are in a women. This is because men are initially attracted to women visually, whereas women tend to be more attracted to a guy's personality and demeanor, so women need to pay a lot more attention to their looks than a guy does.

This is a deep subject....but in a nutshell, there is a difference between a guy who is good-looking and a guy who is ATTRACTIVE. Ever heard the term 'sexy ugly'. This is a secret term women use to describe men who are not good looking but who they are attracted to.

Baldness and beer bellies don't stop men from getting women as long as they have confidence and a great personality. Ugly men with confidence can still get women, but ugly women with confidence will have a hard time attracting men.

A lot of girls I've known have not wanted me to see them without makeup. At least not until I've gotten to know them more and they're comfortable I like them for who they are.

What point are you trying to make? You think women SHOULD wear makeup because they look horrible without? Then you're arguing against the OP and, in a lot of ways, on the same side as Ali.

ReputationRep:
    So half of you guys that wore braces in your earlier ages are fake? Sure, because if you hadn't worn them then you'd bee allot uglier than girls.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I hardly ever wear make up. I'd prefer the extra 5-10 minutes in my bed thanks!
    I wear it so infrequently, it always manages to get a comment from someone!
    I like to go over the top when I go out sometimes, but most times I just can't be bothered. It makes me feel wierd wearing make up all day. Plus I'm never fully awake 'till about 10am so I'm always rubbing my eyes in the morning!
    /rant.
    To summarise: I dont bother with it. I cant be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignFreak)
    I don't wear any form of make up. (:
    i'm ugly without with or without make up, i'm lucky i very rarely have to look at myself.
    :P
    *insert the reassuring compliment the person is asking for here*

Might be a stupid question, but:

If boys dont wear makeup publicly / all the time then why should girls? (Excluding on on set)

And I'm talking about the majority.

ReputationRep:
    The truth is, men are naturally better looking than women. Women need to wear makeup in order to look passable and presentable. Men, on the other hand, don't need to wear makeup to look good or even passable.

Also, women initially attract men with their looks and therefore need to look as good as possible to attract a guy, and makeup is their tool to look good.

Plus, don't forget that women age faster than men and therefore use makeup to make their skin look younger.

All these hot models you see on tv and in the magazines etc look terrible without makeup. They only look good because they're made up to look good. If you don't believe me, go to Google and look at some of these 'before and after' pics that show celeb women with no makeup vs with makeup.

Failing that, pull a girl in a club for a one night stand and take her back to your place. If she sleeps over then she'll look worse in the morning because her makeup will have faded. That's why a lot of women don't want to stay over on a one night stand, because they don't want you seeing them in the morning in their more natural state.

I truly am shocked when I've seen girls I know or famous celebs without makeup....the difference with no makeup is staggering. A stunner can easily turn out to be a plain Jane with no makeup.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that if women didn't wear makeup, men would have to wear blindfolds in public as it'd be hard to look at a lot of women without cringing.

I didn't make these rules, so don't flame me. It's just the way life is I'm afraid. I'm glad I'm male as I think we men got the better deal here.
    I swear you've posted the exact same thing before. What a load of *******s. Good god, get your head of your arse.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's true most girls wear make up, but what's the problem? Why does it bother you so much that you have to start a whole thread about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    What point are you trying to make? You think women SHOULD wear makeup because they look horrible without? Then you're arguing against the OP and, in a lot of ways, on the same side as Ali.
    The OP stated 'girls would be nothing' without makeup. I don't agree that they'd be 'nothing', but they would definitely have a harder time attracting men, at least initially anyway, since men are initially attracted to a woman's looks. That's how attraction works I'm afraid....we men are, at first, attracted to a girl based on how she looks VISUALLY. Then we can fall for her personality later once we get to know her. Smart women know this and therefore keep themselves looking as good as possible at all times.

I do agree that most women look better with makeup. Though too much makeup can look kind of fake and tacky.

I didn't agree with a lot of what Ali said (see my replies).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xfactorfan)
    this includes other fakery like false eyelashes, hair extensions, hair dyes etc.

i know not all girls will care blah blah blah so don't tell me i'm generalising, i'm just saying 'girls' rather than 'some girls' because the latter would sound pathetic and wouldn't grab people's attention :rolleyes:

99.9% of girls i see are clearly wearing some form of makeup, even if its just during the day. i know lots of girls who need to wear it just to go shopping or something stupid. seriously, what have you got to hide? :rolleyes: are you insecure because you know you're actually ugly and without makeup, you won't get eyed up by guys to fuel your incessent need for attention? :rolleyes:

i know i'm going to get girls now who say 'well i dont wear makeup in the day'. i'm sorry but don't deny that you do. even if its just eyeliner. like i say, 99.9% of girls i see are clearly wearing makeup, even if its just eyeliner.
    According to your 'stats' I'm included in the 0.01%
    I don't wear make-up. Not even eyeliner/mascara/lip gloss etc. I have very sensitive skin anyway, so I dont get on well with make-up generally, but aside from that I am a perfectionist. I know I can do make-up well and subtly, and I know I could make myself look like a totally different person, which would most probably make me more attractive. However, being a perfectionist I decided it best not to start something I may get obsessive about which would give me something else to worry about lol. Besides, @ least I can be sure that when a guy 'likes' me or someone compliments me on the way I look they are actually complimenting me, and not my ability to apply make-up

I agree that it is very sad girls no longer have the confidence to go out with no make-up on and to actually be themselves. I'm certainly not a confident person, I am exceedingly self-concious, but know why I chose not to wear make-up and stick by it
    If you guys realised the pressure you exert on girls you'd understand why they do so. Look @ it this way, you guys would probably find a provacatively dressed, make-up wridden girl far more attractive upon first glance than an ordinary, plain-looking girl with no make-up and fully clothed
    Of course, every guy (or rather, every decent guy ) is looking for a soul mate with a personality perfectly compatible to their own, someone they can spend their life with and have fun with. Though you find guys, and even girls, go for the more aestetically pleasing option, most probably missing out on a perfectly lovely person because you take a person as attractive upon first glance. This is why a lot of girls end up wearing tonnes of make-up and going out barely dressed etc, because they really want to be noticed by a good guy who will appreciate them for them, though seeing as guys tend to appreciate what they see before what they dont see, girls are trying to get attention

Little do they know it is such people who arent worth bothering with, the best guys are more often than not, the thoughtful ones. However, as the media portrays society today, people go out only looking at 'perfect' people, completely ignoring those who don't draw attention to themselves using their appearance alone. It is such a shame, though it takes each and every individual guy to treat each girl they come across with respect in order for the girl to feel confident enough not to need to wear make-up, after all, soul mates are soul mates because they connect on so many levels, why people rely completely on appearance is beyond comprehension.

Make-up used to be used to make someone look flawless in order to have a good photograph taken or to hide imperfections (i.e. facial tissue scarring) - however, as society has become more obessed by outwardly appearance many girls wear make-up because everyone else does, some may not even have a specific reason, they just wear it Of course, when make-up is done to a high standard and it is done subtly it can enhance a girl's facial features and make her look nicer, there's nothing wrong with that when you're going out or going to a special event etc. However, the wearing of make-up being classed as important as breathing to some girls has meant it has become an issue, and a burden on women as opposed to the enhancing tool it was once used as.

Basically girls, you dont need to wear make-up, the 'right guy' will love and appreciate you for who you are, dont go looking for a guy, as it is when you're not looking that he will turn up, out-of-the-blue

A great quote I heard recently was: 'The most difficult thing to do is to be yourself in a society that expects you to be like everyone else'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloise987)
    This is interesting considering you have a picture of Shenae Grimes, who is heavily made up, fake tanned within an inch of her life, has dyed hair and hair extensions, a manicure and goodness knows what else. Wouldn't a picture of the lovely Tilda Swinton be more fitting...:rolleyes:
    Lmao. Where on Earth did you get the idea that I was against make up? You utter tool.

ReputationRep:
    The OP stated 'girls would be nothing' without makeup. I don't agree that they'd be 'nothing', but they would definitely have a harder time attracting men, at least initially anyway, since men are initially attracted to a woman's looks. That's how attraction works I'm afraid....we men are, at first, attracted to a girl based on how she looks VISUALLY. Then we can fall for her personality later once we get to know her. Smart women know this and therefore keep themselves looking as good as possible at all times.

I do agree that most women look better with makeup. Though too much makeup can look kind of fake and tacky.

I didn't agree with a lot of what Ali said (see my replies).
    A lot of the girls on here have agreed with you though? Including Ali who wears makeup...So I don't understand why you're being quite so confrontational. Clearly girls know they look better with makeup, which is why, according to the OP, 100,0000000% of women wear it all the time. This thread has become really confused. Everybody seems to think they'd rather girls didn't wear makeup but agree that they look better with, so everybody's saying the same thing just from a different angle.

ReputationRep:
    Us make up wearing boys would be lost without it :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I swear you've posted the exact same thing before. What a load of *******s. Good god, get your head of your arse.
    If you want to have a friendly philosophical discussion with me, then please be SPECIFIC about which of my points you agree/disagree with. Merely stating 'get your head out of your arse' isn't a very intelligent way to have a discussion, and therefore unless you comment on my points specifically then I can't take you seriously.

ReputationRep:
    I'll admitt i wear makeup most days, for some reason it makes me feel happier. Maybe its everyones need to conform? Im sure that if the majority of people stopped wearing make-up everyone would follow. But my main reason for wearing it...? - For my boyfriend, he tells me im beautiful with or without it, but he takes the time to look good for me even though he's fine without trying. So i guess i just like to return the favour

ReputationRep:

This is a deep subject....but in a nutshell, there is a difference between a guy who is good-looking and a guy who is ATTRACTIVE. Ever heard the term 'sexy ugly'. This is a secret term women use to describe men who are not good looking but who they are attracted to.
    :rofl:

Yes, this is an ancient secret term which all women use. In fact, male, how on earth did you find out about it??

Baldness and beer bellies don't stop men from getting women as long as they have confidence and a great personality. Ugly men with confidence can still get women, but ugly women with confidence will have a hard time attracting men.
    I have literally never seen a confident but ugly woman who is in a relationship- in fact, the idea of it is making me laugh. Thank god gender stereotypes still exist to make sure that men are attracted only to women for their looks- this is excellent, it means I don't have to bother to cultivate a personality . In fact, I better get back to preening myself and toning my thighs.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with your statement but not with other things you wrote in your OP. I wear make up because I look gross without it but not because it's contributes to my 'incessant need for attention'.

ReputationRep:
    If we got rid of makeup, your mum would be nothing. /thread.

ReputationRep:
    So many dumped and bitter guys in this thread.

Yes, some wear make-up. What's the big deal here? Human beings (men and women) have been wearing make-up since ancient times.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.