Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Interview with the disabled protester who was pulled form his wheelchair Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by badger-man)
    The purpose of kettling is to restrict movement and prevent further damage to property. I don't know why but some people don't like their shops and offices being trashed :rolleyes: The police therefore kettle protesters in areas where they can't cause as much damage and hope to keep them contained until most of them are tired and want to go home.
    The police have to make a decision between kettling or more traditional riot control methods. So far they have opted for kettling but I've heard rumours that they're preparing to use tear gas if there are any more violent protests. The police are actually quite liberal. In most European countries the police would have started using water canons and bean bag shotguns the moment it got violent.
    Nail. Head

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawQueen)
    Rubbish! I was there. I went on the march, got to Parliament Square, realised this wasn't a proper protest and decided to leave within minutes of getting there but the police wouldn't let us leave. 99% of the damage to property that happened on that day happened after the police kettled students in. They arrested the worst offenders around 6pm. Most of the criminal damage came from a small group of people in a very condensed area. Yet even though they were arrested early on, we were still kettled until 11.20 that evening. They kept a peaceful group of about 100 of us who just wanted to go home, were not violent etc for hours. It was unacceptable. The police officers kept saying to us we know you're not violent but we can't let anyone go. It was a complete overreaction and the media have been awful in reporting about this. I saw the most violent scenes from about 100m away by accident while i was walking around trying to find an exit, and they were NO where near as bad as they looked on the television footage - the moment a police officer appeared in the treasury everyone ran away!!!! It lasted 20 seconds max!! Kettling makes young people irate and is not the solution. The solution would have been to arrest the troublemakers early on and let everyone else, the 90% of us who were peaceful go home.
    Why couldn't you stay on your planned route then? Someone please answer this ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince Rupert)
    Nail. Head
    Missed.
    All Kettling does is wind people up. The people who are causing the violence will probably find a way out, leaving the peaceful protestors contained for no reason at all.

Why couldn't you stay on your planned route then? Someone please answer this ffs
    From what I have read, the police were the ones who diverted the protest off its planned route by blocking it off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Missed.
    All Kettling does is wind people up. The people who are causing the violence will probably find a way out, leaving the peaceful protestors contained for no reason at all.

From what I have read, the police were the ones who diverted the protest off its planned route by blocking it off.
    Really, where have you 'heard' that from? Any official organisation/media outlet other than the 'protesters' themselves? Didn't think so...

I've seen footage of missiles being lobbed at the police within half an hour of the protest beginning at Embankment. It was this early the protest tried to deviate of its planned route. There was no 'kettling' at this stage

ReputationRep:
    I did! I followed the allocated route to Parliament Square. Please do not generalise!

ReputationRep:
    Really, where have you 'heard' that from? Any official organisation/media outlet other than the 'protesters' themselves? Didn't think so...

I've seen footage of missiles being lobbed at the police within half an hour of the protest beginning at Embankment. It was this early the protest tried to deviate of its planned route. There was no 'kettling' at this stage
    Yes they did divert people for a long time but we waited instead of going off route. There was some kettling and blocking at this stage actually but it wasn't for as long. We followed the pre-agreed route with Scotland Yard to Parliament Square. Most of the violence happened in very small condensed periods of time and by the same group of people who were arrested very early on. Kettling started at 3pm and finished at 11.20pm. The people who were lobbing stuff were arrested very early on so there was no excuse for it really.

ReputationRep:
    What planned route? I was not aware of any planned route for the protest and most people ended up trapped in Parliament Square

ReputationRep:
    Rubbish! I was there. I went on the march, got to Parliament Square, realised this wasn't a proper protest and decided to leave within minutes of getting there but the police wouldn't let us leave. 99% of the damage to property that happened on that day happened after the police kettled students in. They arrested the worst offenders around 6pm. Most of the criminal damage came from a small group of people in a very condensed area. Yet even though they were arrested early on, we were still kettled until 11.20 that evening. They kept a peaceful group of about 100 of us who just wanted to go home, were not violent etc for hours. It was unacceptable. The police officers kept saying to us we know you're not violent but we can't let anyone go. It was a complete overreaction and the media have been awful in reporting about this. I saw the most violent scenes from about 100m away by accident while i was walking around trying to find an exit, and they were NO where near as bad as they looked on the television footage - the moment a police officer appeared in the treasury everyone ran away!!!! It lasted 20 seconds max!! Kettling makes young people irate and is not the solution. The solution would have been to arrest the troublemakers early on and let everyone else, the 90% of us who were peaceful go home.
    This!

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought to yourself the police wanted for them to be Parliament Sq, so they could effectively kettle them, like they did? I heard from a friend the police were directing them towards Parliament Sq at the front and back. I wouldn't know, though, I just followed the crowd.

After all, they know what happens when they let the protesters run around. Like on the 24th (might've been the 30th, I couldn't go).

ReputationRep:
    For those who argue that Jody shouldn't have been there, there is no justification for dragging him from his wheelchair because he happened to be within reach of a policeman

ReputationRep:
    This is just ridiculous. Him being dragged from his wheelchair is completely unjustifiable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    From the BBC The man, who comes from Reading and studies at Anglia Ruskin University, in Cambridge, was questioned on suspicion of violent disorder.

A group emerged on the roof of 30 Millbank,
    ah. I see. One of them was arrested on the charge of attempted murder. I forget which scum bag it is!

ReputationRep:
    x
    It can be quite difficult to arrest violent protesters when they're hurling bricks, fireworks and metal fences at you. Kettling is the only method they have unless the police want to start tear gassing people.

Edit: Neg me without offering any counter argument. Nice.

ReputationRep:
    FFS. :facepalm:

if you know that this is going to be a big protest and you are disabled and will new than likely be patriotic about the protest then don't go as what happened to this guy can happen. Now were blaming the police, well the police should have been more careful but with so many students causing riots etc then ofcourse the police have will have to be aggresive as well. The fact that we think that the police cannot even touch those causing riots is what's sinking this country down the drain. So what is the police suppsoed to do? Just watch on as people burn things and are causing riots which is a danger to others lives.

ReputationRep:
    Is Jody to blame? Of course not. Are the police to blame? To a certain extent, fully. What they did to Jody is inexcusable and completley unjustifiable. I think, Like Jody said, the media coverage of this event and events like it are detracting from the bigger picture. The government are to blame.

ReputationRep:
    Interviewer is a patronising ****.

Love how he got in the Palestinian part at the end, glad somebody said it.

ReputationRep:
    Well he wanted equal opportunity he got it. . The police should have water cannoned all the crusties and given them a wash.People here do not understand that in other european countries even,all of these idiots would have been beaten gassed and some would have had bones broken with the use of water cannon and plastic bullets. We are lucky to have the Police we have and I do believe they are far too soft.

ReputationRep:
    It can be quite difficult to arrest violent protesters when they're hurling bricks, fireworks and metal fences at you. Kettling is the only method they have unless the police want to start tear gassing people.

Edit: Neg me without offering any counter argument. Nice.
    I didn't neg you, I've just logged on! They did arrest the most violent people early on, that's my point to why there was no point kettling us for hours!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't neg you, I've just logged on! They did arrest the most violent people early on, that's my point to why there was no point kettling us for hours!
    I didn't say you negged me, the comment was aimed at whoever did.
    They clearly didn't arrest all the violent people early on as there were other arrests later in the day and after the bill was passed by parliament.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say you negged me, the comment was aimed at whoever did.
    They clearly didn't arrest all the violent people early on as there were other arrests later in the day and after the bill was passed by parliament.
    The people who had done the most damage were arrested, according to the police on the day, around 6pm - there have been arrests after but the police did kettle in and catch the most violent.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.