Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A child’s life needs to be GOVERNED and CONTROLLED Watch

ReputationRep:
    I believe that by simply reducing the amount of screen time (both tv and computer) for young children and encouraging reading and personal mental and physical development will solve most of the problems people lament about in these threads. The downside to this strategy is that it only works if you start at a young age but the upside is that there is no direct coercion involved.

I am however wary of the idea that instilling nationalism in children will make them more classy. You just have to look at America to see that's not true.

Also, could somebody explain what the "Jeremy Kyle" people are? I'm assuming they're some type of violent chav or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    The trips don't have to be expensive. I can remember going for picnics in the woods, where my parents would read to me and play frisbee with me and stuff lol. That's not costly.
    If you don't have a car then it can be very costly and time consuming.

(Original post by CountMancula)
    No, you seem to be missing the point. Mathematics = school. This is OUTSIDE of school in an attempt to add more class, respect and knowledge to children.
    Surely History = School aswell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    No it really doesn't.
    You can teach your kids morals and values without all the other stuff.
    Plus, how do you suggest poorer families afford such things (trips to stately homes etc).

Totally agree with this.
    True, you can. It just helps to make you a well rounded person if you know the other stuff though.

Not all of them are expensive. Where I live, we have an art gallery that's free of charge to enter, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    True, you can. It just helps to make you a well rounded person if you know the other stuff though.

Not all of them are expensive. Where I live, we have an art gallery that's free of charge to enter, for example.
    But you can be a well rounded person by doing other things, like playing sports, learning stuff in school etc.

And lucky you. Most places don't have an art gallery thats free (or one at all tbh).

I agree that some parents need to be less lazy and engage with their children, but that can take the form of anything pretty much.
    My parents used to play tennis with me when I was very young, and we used to go for walks in the local countryside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lanky2610)
    He pulled down hundreds of churches
    Abolished christmas due to it's references to catholicism
    Killed hundreds of catholics in Ireland and Scotland, so can be said to be genocidal
    Regicide
    Dissolved parliament by force with 40 musketeers

Don't know about you, but with that reputation he's pretty nasty
    He was evil, yes. But he also advanced parliamentalism in Britain and ended the monarch hold on power! You have to look at both sides when it comes to history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    I believe that by simply reducing the amount of screen time (both tv and computer) for young children and encouraging reading and personal mental and physical development will solve most of the problems people lament about in these threads. The downside to this strategy is that it only works if you start at a young age but the upside is that there is no direct coercion involved.

I am however wary of the idea that instilling nationalism in children will make them more classy. You just have to look at America to see that's not true.

Also, could somebody explain what the "Jeremy Kyle" people are? I'm assuming they're some type of violent chav or something
    Benefits, loads of kids (different father), scruffy, low IQ etc. Yes, "chav" I suppose.

Example:

ReputationRep:

Example:
    OP you're going to need more than forced education to solve THAT :nah:

ReputationRep:
    What will this do: It will do the exact opposite of what you think it will do. It will simply turn more and more kids into sitting on park benches and "drinking white lightning", since the key instinct of a child isn't simply to follow authority figures. Unless you're going to beat it into them or something horrible like that. Not to mention it being ethically despicable, much like the history of Britain with the slave trade and the exploitation of millions in India, China, Africa and many more, which I suppose you would be teaching if you were going to give them a balanced spoonfeed of British culture rather than turning them into Daily Mail-clutching clones of each other)

Teaching children not to disobey authority is probably one of the worst things you could ever do. While they might be obedient, sure, they sure as hell won't be changing humanity for the better in the future, everything will stagnate and follow the same old power structure. If it wasn't for this key facet of human nature, we'd still be following an absolute monarchy or worse a theocracy rather than a democracy.

ReputationRep:
    A little bit of Lil Wayne every day will surely keep a kid's mind umm... classy. But seriously though, it depends on he kid and the parents, and also their environment. But also don't fort that in the end, a lot of it comes down to the kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    A family values policy would be (I don't think this is implemented currently, but I could be wrong) where if one parent isn't working, they can take their allowance of untaxed wages and add it to the working parents untaxed wages. Therefore, one parent stays home to look after the children, they get more untaxed money.
    Who does that help? Not the families who can't afford to have one parent stay at home (or who only have one parent). This wouldn't go anywhere to providing a solution to your problem.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    The trips don't have to be expensive. I can remember going for picnics in the woods, where my parents would read to me and play frisbee with me and stuff lol. That's not costly. I appreciate that not everyone can afford to do some of the things I've done, but a lot of them don't cost much other than the time of the parent.
    - Having time where you don't have to be working
    - Maintaining a car
    - Petrol/public transport to the woods (especially if these families live in the inner city)
    - A frisbee
    - Books
    - Picnic food

These things all cost money. I really think you fail to understand how restricted some people's budgets are.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    Yes, they did, but my mother worked part time and term time, so she was with me for 4 days per week and all the time in the holidays.
    Then surely you can imagine how it would be a lot more difficult this would be for a family that had both parents working full time (out of necessity)?

ReputationRep:
    Many youths today are brought up in such a poor fashion. If you were to wander around certain areas, you will see kids hanging out on street corners etc. They all follow the same thing and admire scum celebrities, which in effect, promotes their idea of being a maverick and causing mayhem.

My idea is to CONTROL what children see and do. I believe it is important that they are exposed to the HISTORY and HERITAGE of Britain. There is a general lack of knowledge when it comes to today’s youth. I am sure you are all familiar with the term: Jeremy Kyle people. This needs to prevented to stop more of them populating.

When they are young, let’s say 5, the child should have to read the history of Britain. It is important that they’re tarnished with stories about famous citizens, leaders, generals, politicians, etc. Also introduce them to key events and battles.

Different idols

This could be nicely incorporated with the National Trust or English Heritage. They offer an array of historic properties and locations up and down the country. Why not force children to visit these places? Let them appreciate class, dignity, heritage and history. Maybe introduce a class camp? The class camp will teach them manners, music, key skills etc.

Blicking Hall

By the time the child is a teen, he/she will have a broader knowledge, and hopefully more class. Rather than blasting music out of a mobile phone and drinking white lightening in a park at night, they will realise that their actions are despicable and somewhat animal like.
    I don't agree.

The reason being that I think children should be playing with toys and being a pest at the age of 5, not locked up learning some prejudiced stuff about our culture. I know certainly I would have hated it, and as far as I know I've turned out not too bad.

I just can't see it working, people turn into 'chavs' not because of their knowledge of their heritage but because of their parents, their friends and the area they grow up in. None of this will actually change due to learning about their heritage.

Trying to enforce class on a working-class lad is a typical elitist idea, you simply cannot do it - there are too many factors as to why this person is working-class, trying to just enforce class through knowledge won't work.

Not only that, but it's going to distort their view of world history, if all they learn about is how England has done, and their great triumphs etc etc (cos let's face it, they won't get taught about when we lose) then they're probably going to become ignorant of other cultures and heritages.

That's just my opinion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreiviergrenadier)
    Who does that help? Not the families who can't afford to have one parent stay at home (or who only have one parent). This wouldn't go anywhere to providing a solution to your problem.
    That's just one policy, it may not help everyone but it would help some.

- Having time where you don't have to be working
    - Maintaining a car
    - Petrol/public transport to the woods (especially if these families live in the inner city)
    - A frisbee
    - Books
    - Picnic food
    Everyone has days off.
    Everyone had a car.
    Well you don't have to do it all the time, so if they did it occasionally, they'd be able to afford it?
    They're like £1
    You can make your own. As well as bought books, my mother used to draw me pictures (she's a good artist) and tell me stories relating to them.
    Use whatever food you have in the house.

These things all cost money. I really think you fail to understand how restricted some people's budgets are.
    They don't cost loads though.

Then surely you can imagine how it would be a lot more difficult this would be for a family that had both parents working full time (out of necessity)?
    Yes, I can. But they still have weekends I do understand that for families with less money and/or more children (I'm an only child) it'd be harder. Not impossible though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Everyone had a car.
    No they do not.
    This is where you seem to fall down. You assume that everyone has access to the same things you do. You are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    What's wrong with that? I could talk from the age of one and I was reading books aimed at much older children at 5, and I was also learning about current affairs. I could write, and I had a more advanced vocabularly than most at that age.

The reason? My mother spent an awful lot of time teaching me to talk, read, write etc. If parents spend enough time with their children, it's perfectly reasonable to think they'll be able to do these things at 5.
    The age a child begins talking has nothing to do with class :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No they do not.
    This is where you seem to fall down. You assume that everyone has access to the same things you do. You are wrong.
    I know not everyone has the same tihng I have, but I've never met someone who doesn't have a car. :confused: Apart from homeless people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    They don't cost loads though.
    Not on their own no. But it soon adds up to quite a lot.
    I agree with dreiviergrenadier in that you are under an illusion in terms of the amount of money some people have. Seriously, some people are struggling to pay for basic food and to keep the roof over their heads. They cannot afford extra little things like this.

(Original post by .Ali.)
    I know not everyone has the same tihng I have, but I've never met someone who doesn't have a car. :confused: Apart from homeless people.
    You have just proved my point though.
    You are assuming because you have never met someone without a car, that everyone has one. That assumption is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    The age a child begins talking has nothing to do with class :rolleyes:
    I'm not saying it does, I'm saying that spending more time with a child will make them learn things earlier.

ReputationRep:
    Teach em respect for elders that would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    Not on their own no. But it soon adds up to quite a lot.
    I agree with dreiviergrenadier in that are under an illusion in terms of the amount of money some people have. Seriously, some people are struggling to pay for basic food and to keep the roof over their heads. They cannot afford extra little things like this.

You have just proved my point though.
    You are assuming because you have never met someone without a car, that everyone has one. That assumption is wrong.
    But everyone can do things occasionally. What about renting a book from the local library and reading to your child at home? It's not expensive at all.

I suppose, but I really can't imagine people not having cars. You can get old cars really cheaply now. :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    But everyone can do things occasionally. What about renting a book from the local library and reading to your child at home? It's not expensive at all.

I suppose, but I really can't imagine people not having cars. You can get old cars really cheaply now. :s
    Agreed with the first point. Although my point about costs still stands about trips to places and the like.

The second point, once again you fail to realise how little money some people have. If I wanted a car right now I'd have to have at least £2000 (car + insurance) - if not more (once we start adding in Tax, MOT, petrol, money incase something breaks etc. And if I hadn't already passed my test, then that cost would be an awful lot higher.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.