The Student Room Group

Heythrop College Applicants 2011?!

Scroll to see replies

Helloooo :smile: I've just accepted an offer from Heythrop to do Abrahamic Religions woohoooo :biggrin:
Is there anyone here who I'll be studying with?? I'm seriously sooo excited!! It's so pretty and lovely and flowery!
Reply 61
Original post by MrGeekWannabe
Helloooo :smile: I've just accepted an offer from Heythrop to do Abrahamic Religions woohoooo :biggrin:
Is there anyone here who I'll be studying with?? I'm seriously sooo excited!! It's so pretty and lovely and flowery!

Hello! :smile:

I accepted my Unconditional for PRE a few month back! Different course but, still there. LOL

Yes, I'm really excited too! Going for the open day in a few month I think.:biggrin:
Reply 62
Hello:smile: I've just accepted Heythrop as my firm choice, just wondering where most people are applying for accommodation... I went to the open day and saw alban hall but I didn't think much of it! I'm thinking of intercollegiate halls now but not sure which one?:s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Should've applied for PRE...

Miss Sarasia, Alban Hall's popular here I guess, on yougo people seem to be staying in private accomodation. I'm going for Alban - it's slightly cheaper than single rooms in the intercollegiate halls and'll spare any hungover hikes through the London streets for early lectures... but I don't wanna spend too much time in a glorified dormitory so I'm only really thinking of it as a place to crash; want to do my living in the city. What're you looking for from your accommodation?
Original post by raabdj
Hey, just letting you know some of the things worth considering regarding accommodation and Heythrop. The obvious plusses of being at Alban Halls is that you'll a) be in Kensington b) be a matter of minutes away from lectures and c) in a massive collective of like minded people. The downside of this is that you'll only really meet Heythrop students while at uni and you'll be living in the same place where your lectures are. Intercollegiate halls are definitely worth considering because you'll get to meet students from UCL, SOAS, LSE, Birkbeck, CSSD and a few others (and perhaps King's if they're not a snooty bunch like this year) and the mix you get is great. They're also good because it's definitely healthy to be able to get away from college when lectures are over rather than have nowhere to go except the next room of the same building. Travel isn't an issue either as some halls are walking distance (Nutford/Lilian Penson) and in equally nice areas as Kensington.

Hey, I read this a few days ago and have been thinking about it a lot. This probably sounds stupid but it never occurred to me that Alban Halls may become a little claustrophobic with everything you said. I'm now really interested in Nutford House (fickle mind lol), but since I live in Nottingham at the moment I really don't have a clue about the different areas of London and distances between them etc. I just checked on googlemaps and it says its a 40 minute walk! I'm not lazy and I know there's the tube but that just seems like a massive inconvenience... is it really a 40 minute walk? If you don't know then I'm sorry for babbling on :redface:

Is anyone else interested in Nutford House?
Reply 65
Got an offer which is nice, you guys gonna be staying at Albans Halls? Really nice area, but with Heythrop already being a small uni, intercollegiate halls seem like a better option to meet more people. hmmmmmm
Reply 66
Original post by Pepper Fangs

Original post by Pepper Fangs
Should've applied for PRE...

Miss Sarasia, Alban Hall's popular here I guess, on yougo people seem to be staying in private accomodation. I'm going for Alban - it's slightly cheaper than single rooms in the intercollegiate halls and'll spare any hungover hikes through the London streets for early lectures... but I don't wanna spend too much time in a glorified dormitory so I'm only really thinking of it as a place to crash; want to do my living in the city. What're you looking for from your accommodation?

Yeah but I'm scared there won't be a bigger mix of people than in the other halls, but then the other ones seem to be quite far away! I can't decide! I wanted a decent room but there's no chance of me getting en-suite lol I can forget about that.. I'm thinking of Nutford House but I read that you can only let people people in after 10.30pm haha how depressing!
Reply 67
Original post by SarahGrace92

Hey, I read this a few days ago and have been thinking about it a lot. This probably sounds stupid but it never occurred to me that Alban Halls may become a little claustrophobic with everything you said. I'm now really interested in Nutford House (fickle mind lol), but since I live in Nottingham at the moment I really don't have a clue about the different areas of London and distances between them etc. I just checked on googlemaps and it says its a 40 minute walk! I'm not lazy and I know there's the tube but that just seems like a massive inconvenience... is it really a 40 minute walk? If you don't know then I'm sorry for babbling on :redface:

Is anyone else interested in Nutford House?

That's exactly what I'm thinking! It's so confusing, I went on googlemaps and I can't tell if it's too far or what.. I want to apply at Nutford House because they're the nearest, garden halls are ok too but near UCL plus they accomodate for the most amount of people so I can meet more if I lived there
It is about a 40 minute walk from Nutford house to the uni, though this can be sped up by taking the tube or the bus from there to Kensington as most people will, though I can imagine this might become expensive over time. As a resident of the Alban Halls I haven't regretted my decision, the location is insanely convenient and you'll get to know everyone in your uni and develop a close social bond with many of them, as well as always being around when something's going on, which in halls is almost all the time (I have a mate who lives in a different student halls in Highgate who complains that not much happens at Heythrop - the reality is that lots of stuff happens but he's just never around when it's going on!). That said both Alban and Nutford are the best bets for accomodation for Heythrop, I'd try to get into either of them and you probably won't regret it.
Original post by asarasia
That's exactly what I'm thinking! It's so confusing, I went on googlemaps and I can't tell if it's too far or what.. I want to apply at Nutford House because they're the nearest, garden halls are ok too but near UCL plus they accomodate for the most amount of people so I can meet more if I lived there

woo you're from the East Midlands too! :tongue: I asked my mum who used to live near kensington (I should've asked her first really lol), and she confirmed that Marble Arch is a 40 minute walk from Kensington. But she then reminded me that it is a stones throw from oxford street and hyde park, plus all the museums. So that's my decision made! Let me know where you decide!
Reply 70

woo you're from the East Midlands too! :tongue: I asked my mum who used to live near kensington (I should've asked her first really lol), and she confirmed that Marble Arch is a 40 minute walk from Kensington. But she then reminded me that it is a stones throw from oxford street and hyde park, plus all the museums. So that's my decision made! Let me know where you decide!

Yeah from east mids too actually don't have a clue about london areas loll and same I've decided on that too can't wait now!
Reply 71
Though Nutford House is a 40 minute walk (or 33 and a bit if you put some thought into it), most of that is walking through Hyde Park and you'll get to see dogs go mental all the time. And is 40 minutes such a trek anyway? From my experience of Nutford House, I'd certainly recommend it to Heythrop students. As well as being close to Hyde Park, you've also got Regent's Park just up the road and Edgware Road literally road the corner, which is certainly an experience. Oxford Street is barely minutes away, but the real gems are the little side streets off it (such as Marylebone High Street or St. Christophers Place). The whole Bloomsbury area (UCL, Senate House, British Museum etc.) are about 30 minutes walk away too, so the central location is definitely worth considering.
The only drawback I've experienced is the isolation from Heythrop students who live in Alban Halls and the feeling of being in lectures with complete strangers all year and only recognising people on my course, but that's just me and there's two more years to get to know people.
Reply 72
Firmed today!
Sooooo, I applied for Philosophy & Psychology, and then received a letter (08/04/11) telling me they are no longer offering that at Heythrop! GUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEED! However, they have offered me Philosophy or Philosophy & Theology or Philosophy, Religion & Ethics on my same offer (BBC). Alternatively I can chose a different offer I have received.

I think I am going to go for Philosophy, Religion & Ethics...good idea?
Reply 74
Hey guys,

Check out "Heythrop College 2011" on Facebook, a good way to get to know some people going in this year, with some people already at the college recruiting for sports and activities.

Already spoken to a couple of you from it and you seem like an interesting crowd :smile:
official freshers page is up now :O http://www.facebook.com/Heythrop2011#!/Heythrop2011
Reply 76
Original post by DeniedExistence
official freshers page is up now :O http://www.facebook.com/Heythrop2011#!/Heythrop2011

I've already perved & introduced myself.. :smile: :biggrin:
Reply 77
Original post by HannahCrofts
Sooooo, I applied for Philosophy & Psychology, and then received a letter (08/04/11) telling me they are no longer offering that at Heythrop! GUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEED! However, they have offered me Philosophy or Philosophy & Theology or Philosophy, Religion & Ethics on my same offer (BBC). Alternatively I can chose a different offer I have received.

I think I am going to go for Philosophy, Religion & Ethics...good idea?

I'm doing PRE too!
Good luck! :biggrin:
I'm really excited now!!! :biggrin:
I hope you all did great and got the results you were hoping for. Any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask!

Quick Reply

Latest