Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R3L4Y)
    ....and danced like this:

Shake yo bootay shake yo bootay
    1. Congrats on your York offer.
    2. Shake your GROOVE THING shake your GROOVE THING.

I'm sorry. It had to be done.

ReputationRep:
    Clearing.

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to leave London and still be in a big city, and wanted a reputable university which offered my course. I do love it at Manchester, though I probably should have thought a little harder about where to go...

ReputationRep:
    i went to swansea in the end
    not the most prestigous uni i applied for but when i went to the open day i felt thats where i would best fit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wedgely)
    1. Congrats on your York offer.
    2. Shake your GROOVE THING shake your GROOVE THING.

I'm sorry. It had to be done.
    Oh?..well that doesn't describe the dance not even nearly as accurately as I thot it would. lol thnx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    pictures
    Has it become a tradition to have pictures of Aberdeen in every university thread?

I ended up in my uni via clearing. Beggars can't be choosey. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    When I was choosing which universities to apply for.....
    1. Distance- this eliminated anywhere further than 3hrs away from where I live. That left Scotland and northern England out.
    2. Reputation- so this left me with basically all of the Russell group unis not in that area.
    3. = Course content
    = Overall experience
    Determined by prospectuses and open days.
    4. Sensible range of unis that included those I liked best.
    Ended up with Bristol, Warwick, Sheffield, Nottingham and Southampton.

ReputationRep:
    It was one of two places I could do three languages including Chinese and I couldn't go to Newcastle cos the name of the place sounds silly when I say it in a southern accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    As someone who used to live in Aberdeen, it always totally shocks me whenever someone from outwith the city actually likes it I do miss crepes at Kilaus though, make sure to go there in September!
    I think a fair few people are like that. You are surrounded by the same place for quite a long time and it's pretty normal to want to escape. I would probably say the same about West Bromwich. It has its charms (if you look close enough), but I wouldn't urge people to live here.

(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Aberdeen's a lot better off without you.
    Totally uncalled for, especially since you don't know that to be true at all. You've only experienced Aberdeen without her.

(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    They were fooling people with their incorrect information. They had to be corrected.
    Now maybe you're easily fooled, but what she said was not being passed off as information. It was her opinion.

Also, "incorrect information" is an oxymoron. Sorry, you just had to be corrected.

OP, I would advise you to go to all of the universities post-offer days. I was at university a couple of years ago and because I hadn't spent enough time there beforehand to fully get to grips with it I found out that I had made mistake. It just didn't seem like a good fit for me and now I'm applying again.

The key thing I have looked at is the course content and the flexibility of degrees at Scottish universities does appeal to me, so I've applied to two of them. I haven't visited all of the universities I've applied to yet, but if I get an offer from them then I will go.

ReputationRep:
    Choosing unis was one of the most difficult things Ive ever done! I really didnt want to be more than 3/4 hours away from home (but Cambridge is an exception) so mentally drew a line across the country. I choose Cardiff because I was born there, so its slightly familiar plus it offered a placement year. I always pictured myself going to Warwick when I was younger which is why I applied there. It was a toss up between Bristol and Bath and I went for Bristol because the lecturers seemed nicer on the open day. I choose Exeter because its close to home and well respected, and the lecturers were lovely on the open day.

I applied to Cambridge because although Im expecting to be rejected, Id rather have tried than always regret not trying!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to move away from home so all my choices were those that were closest to me.

ReputationRep:
    Assign each university a colour, and use the spinner that is used for playing Twister

ReputationRep:
    Firstly by location, I don't want to be more than 2/3 hours away from home. Then by the course content/entry reqs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    Well, I did a two day trip with my parents during half term to check out Birmingham, Liverpool and Keele, but didn't actually go to any open days, just checked out the surrounding town/city and general campus.
    I like Keele. I had to choose between Keele and Nott Trent as my "back-up" choice, and Keele had a lovely campus, really spacious and green. Nice buildings... just felt friendly.
    Wasn't too impressed with Newcastle-under-Lyme (nearest town) but Stoke isn't too far away so I let that slide
    Not wanting to píss on your chips or anything, but I've been to Stoke when my team has played there and it's a horrific place. My mate is at Staffs as well and he also says it's a dive. Probably one of the worst places I've ever been and I grew up close to Luton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Withered)
    Not wanting to píss on your chips or anything, but I've been to Stoke when my team has played there and it's a horrific place. My mate is at Staffs as well and he also says it's a dive. Probably one of the worst places I've ever been and I grew up close to Luton.
    I'm close to Luton now!
    Nah, I wasn't saying Stoke was brilliant, just that it's a little further away and I didn't visit it. I don't think I'm too fussed about what the city is like. I loved Birmingham city centre, and Birmingham is my top choice, but I won't be that devastated on grounds of not living in the city if I don't get the grades, if that makes sense?
    I'll fit around wherever I go I guess, most places I visit round where I live are sh1tholes so most places would be an improvement

Also, I will be stealing the phrase "piss on your chips". Fantastic

ReputationRep:
    I chose by UoL cause I know I pretty much have to stay in London which is a good thing but really limited what my choice is.
    I want to do BM so I went for UCL, King's, QM, City and Greenwich. I think there's a variety of uni's and they're all within an hour of each other.:thumbs:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    failed maths... that chose it for me... wouldnt change it for the world tho
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Reputation and employability within the oil & gas sector. That's the only reason I stayed in Aberdeen. Sometimes I do wonder "what if..." because I had an offer from Edinburgh University and Edinburgh is probably a better city to live in (although I've never been there before). I keep getting reassured by recruiters at careers fairs that I definitely made the right decision to remain in Aberdeen (and I was foolish for applying to Edinburgh, not not Heriot Watt for engineering) but... what if?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain92)
    I'm close to Luton now!
    Nah, I wasn't saying Stoke was brilliant, just that it's a little further away and I didn't visit it. I don't think I'm too fussed about what the city is like. I loved Birmingham city centre, and Birmingham is my top choice, but I won't be that devastated on grounds of not living in the city if I don't get the grades, if that makes sense?
    I'll fit around wherever I go I guess, most places I visit round where I live are sh1tholes so most places would be an improvement

Also, I will be stealing the phrase "piss on your chips". Fantastic
    Ah right yeah, didn't notice your location! I'm a Hemel boy so it's a bit ironic for me to be spouting off about how bad other places are...

It's what you make of it I suppose, some people can have a good time wherever they go and make the best of it. I'm not one of those unfortunately!

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh's a really beautiful place. And I liked the low entry requirements cos I'm pathologically lazy.
    For some reason, the fact it was so cold and far away never entered my head while applying, although these seem like the sort of things one would take into account.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.