Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by nazirard)
      I bet thats what they told Nelson Mandela and Ghandi as well.But I was really peeved off with that woman who sued the hair dresser. Just move on and apply to another hairdressers.
      not comparable situations

(Original post by ibbyibz)
        Theres nothing wrong with what i said, cant you handle the truth?
        What truth?

That you believe educating and informing people about the tenants of your belief and trying to promote religious and social cohesion are wrong, and that instead different groups should 'keep their noses out of each others business'.

ReputationRep:
        I don't care if anyone prays or not as long as they don't expect others to arrange their schedules around their prayer timetables or whatever it is.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by morecambebay)
        not comparable situations
        Ha. You've just compared changing school rules to changing the world. (Read your comment again).
        But anyway I'm speaking generally here. I've already made my comments clear regarding the OP situation but it just says a lot about a persons when they believe You cant constantly expect the world to change for you. So inspiring.

Ha. You've just compared changing school rules to changing the world. (Read your comment again).
          But anyway I'm speaking generally here. I've already made my comments clear regarding the OP situation but it just says a lot about a persons when they believe You cant constantly expect the world to change for you. So inspiring.

The world shouldn't change for people it should change for reasons. They are two very different things.

ReputationRep:
          i know that i'll probably be ridiculed for saying this but some muslims seem to forget[by accident ofcourse] that prayer is supposed to be a private matter between them and God. One of the key things that God said was that you need balance in life i.e education and religion. If one prays with the right intention then God will accept that person's prayer so why do muslims feel compelled to read a prayer on the spot. Just because you read an idvidual prayer at 3:24:03 pm does'nt make your prayer any better than someone who read their prayer at 4:00 p.m [within the 5 individaul prayers boundery time limits] An important thing for muslims to remember is that a prayer to God comes from the heart and not the mind. P.S God accepts a person's prayer not time. He alone decides wheather your prayer was meaningful or not. Missing out on a part of a lecture can lead a person to rush through his/her prayer and therefore spoil their prayer. I'm a muslim and i do believe that university's should provide students with praying facilities [after all we live in an ethnicaly diversed england]. However students should pray during their lunch times so that the prayer is read in a more relaxed state like its supposed to be read[ with passion not like a script]. If you can't make a prayer then you should try reaching a compromise with your lecturer but if you can make a prayer during lunch then by all means do so. After all any prayer is better than no prayer. Finally islam is a flexible religion we can make up for lost prayers at any time. If God wants he can accept these as full prayers. Once again God decides wheather a prayer is successful not not you and i or time.

ReputationRep:
          If it is so important for you, talk to your college.
          I am sure they will understand.
          And pretty sure, Allah will understand too, that you want to do it, but you can't. Studies and education are also important, I believe Islam says so.

Religion is as open or closed as you want it to be. Personally, as long as beliefs and intentions are respected, major things cannot be elluded. You can't avoid, for example, an A-level examination because of Zuhur... you can pray five minutes later, whereas you can't sit the exam later, and Allah will understand.

Same can be applied to every religion, to be honest. God will understand if a Catholic does not go to Mass one Sunday because he's away or sick.

Says an agnostic, never-baptised in any religion person. With most of my family being Catholic but also a grandmother being a Jehova Witness, living in a town with a lot of Muslim population and some Muslim friends.

ReputationRep:
          we used to have a prayer room in our college. Not just for muslims but for all faiths, and muslims would go and pray when they had spare time etc. I dont see a problem with that

ReputationRep:
          Pray in between lessons, in free periods and that. Otherwise, if its a matter of missing the prayer because of a double lesson or something, then I dont see a problem of taking 5 minutes out in the lesson to pray (with permission ofcourse).

ReputationRep:
          No if they don't let you, then you shouldn't lie as that will undermine the reqard you will achieve from prayer. Just leave it, its not as if you'll lose on the reward as its not your fault you cannot pray on time, education is cardinal in Islam too so its a legitimate excuse for not being able to pray on time. We have a prayer room, well a class turned into one at lunch where pray duhr then wait till we get home to pray Asr and Maghreb.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Dekota-XS)
          No. Not at college. Why should a college be turned into a mosque?
          Hater gon' hate (all those neg reps are surely of Muslims).

ReputationRep:
          You cant miss lessons lol
          Although you can read at lunch/break!
          Asr is about 3-4ish anyway so you should be home by then.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by IsI Scream0)
          No, this is Europe not Asia. If you want to pray in lessons you're not for here. **** off you muslim scum! **** your dumb religion!
          Whoa. Don't like Muslims? Maybe you should take the asterisks out and tell us what you mean?

(Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX)
          Hater gon' hate (all those neg reps are surely of Muslims).
          Loooool. Trueee dat! HATERZ GON HATEEE! lol.

ReputationRep:
          Dear Friends,

The OP is simply asking is it fair for the College to enforce a no prayer rule during lectures?

Firstly, this question should be re-phrased since it applies to any faith practicing student - not just muslims.

Moreover, since OP has emphasised on 'muslim' then we must take into account what are the prayer requirments of the muslim and how does the prayer system work?

All practicing muslims must complete 5 compulsary prayes daily -minimum. The muslim calender and time is based upon the lunar cycle, not the solar cycle - so a new month start on the completion of a full moon cycle.

Furthermore, 1 day can be classified into 5 parts i.e. morning, midday, afternoon, sunset and night. Thus, prayers are due 5 times a day accordingly.

The college are not being unfair to lay down the law on praying suring lecture times. After all, the main priority to all students is attend lectures. It would only be unfair when the college forbid any form of worship on their property - only then would I see it as a problem.

Muslims can pray around the lectures, this is the only way really - i personally agree with the college since it ensures lectures run smoothly and avoids any disruption. most of all its in benefit of the student, just imagine if a person had to miss parts of his lectures on a daily basis - im sure his end performance will reflect accordingly.

Any muslim who is making an issue from this, i personally think they are unreasonable especially when the college has even provided a facility to worship.

Sorry for the length, i felt it neccessary.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by killa78)
          You cant miss lessons lol
          Although you can read at lunch/break!
          Asr is about 3-4ish anyway so you should be home by then.
          Can't be at 4, cause Maghrib is then

(Original post by Peace0fM1nd)
          Dear Friends,

The OP is simply asking is it fair for the College to enforce a no prayer rule during lectures?

Firstly, this question should be re-phrased since it applies to any faith practicing student - not just muslims.

Moreover, since OP has emphasised on 'muslim' then we must take into account what are the prayer requirments of the muslim and how does the prayer system work?

All practicing muslims must complete 5 compulsary prayes daily -minimum. The muslim calender and time is based upon the lunar cycle, not the solar cycle - so a new month start on the completion of a full moon cycle.

Furthermore, 1 day can be classified into 5 parts i.e. morning, midday, afternoon, sunset and night. Thus, prayers are due 5 times a day accordingly.

The college are not being unfair to lay down the law on praying suring lecture times. After all, the main priority to all students is attend lectures. It would only be unfair when the college forbid any form of worship on their property - only then would I see it as a problem.

Muslims can pray around the lectures, this is the only way really - i personally agree with the college since it ensures lectures run smoothly and avoids any disruption. most of all its in benefit of the student, just imagine if a person had to miss parts of his lectures on a daily basis - im sure his end performance will reflect accordingly.

Any muslim who is making an issue from this, i personally think they are unreasonable especially when the college has even provided a facility to worship.

Sorry for the length, i felt it neccessary.
          Shukran

ReputationRep:
          Pray in your free time? You don't need to pray during lessons..

ReputationRep:
          Follow your religion, but do not skip class just to pray. Pray in your frees. If you usually pray at specific times then tough, pray at a different time.

ReputationRep:
          Islam is a 24 hour committed religion. Until you understand what that means your comments won't be taken seriously if your intention is to give advice (which is what I assume you're trying to do).
          I know that, I was talking about the part where he can pray during his free time instead of disrupting the education of other people who obviously dont have organisational problems. I know a lot of Muslims, friends with, idk, 50 and they dont have his problem.

ReputationRep:
          I just prayed in between lessons and during breaks when I was at school. And designated rooms to pray in were unnecessary at my school since there were very few Muslims at my school. I used to pray everywhere, cloak rooms, tuck rooms, class rooms, I even prayed in front of everybody in the playground.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by x_muneeb_x)
          No even though im born to Muslim parents each prayer has a specific time in which you can pray so for example zuhar from 12-3 pm , they should pray when they get time in between and not skip lessons for praying.
          Exactly, you should go in between lessons, at beak, dinner etc, not miss parts of lessons. You are lucky you have a prayer room at college, my college and quite a few others that i know of dont have prayer rooms.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.