Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It's Lewis' turn now. He really is hitting that treble.
    • TSR Support Team

That was brilliant two consecutive 180's there, but Lewis is running away with it.

ReputationRep:
    So who's everyone supporting in the tournament?

Anyone who does well and does their best. I'd love to see Hylton get to the quarter-finals, a quarter-final with Taylor would be great for him. - What I would love is a tight final. Taylor's not going to have his own way in the tournament anyway.
      • TSR Support Team

I don't really have a favourite player, but I would love to see another Barney and Taylor final, Adrian Lewis though looks in real hot form and will surely win this 4-0

THIRD ROUND - MATCHES ARE BEST OF 7 SETS (To be played on Wednesday and Thursday)

Phil Taylor (Eng, 1) 4-1 Peter Wright (Sco)

Mark Webster (Wal, 25) 4-1 Mark Hylton (Eng)

Adrian Lewis (Eng, 5) v Robert Thornton (Sco, 21)

Simon Whitlock (Aus, 4) v Vincent van der Voort (Ned, 20)

Mensur Suljovic (Aut) v Wes Newton (Eng, 15)

Terry Jenkins (Eng, 7) v Mark Walsh (Eng, 10)

Andy Smith (Eng, 27) v Gary Anderson (Sco, 11)

Raymond van Barneveld (Ned, 3) v Colin Osborne (Eng, 14)

How they will be lining in the third round

Anyway, back to round 2 of the tournament, how do we see the other 10 matches going?

ReputationRep:
        I'd love to see a Wade/Taylor final, I think that would be a classic. Since he won the world championship, Barney has never really performed when he's played Taylor. The problem he has had is that when he goes behind he drops his head and almost seems like he can't be bothered to play. If we do get a Barney/Taylor final, I'm not so sure it will be a very close match.

ReputationRep:
        I'll make some predictions:

Phil Taylor to beat Per Laursen
        Adrian Lewis to beat Mark Dudbridge
        Simon Whitlock to beat Denis Ovens
        Wayne Jones to beat VVV
        James Wade to beat Mensur Suljovic
        Wes Newton to beat Brendan Dolan
        Terry Jenkins to beat Steve Brown
        Mark Walsh to beat Alan Tabern
        Mervyn King to beat Andy Smith
        Gary Anderson to beat Dennis Priestley
        Raymond van Barneveld to beat Kevin McDine
        Jamie Caven to beat Colin Osborne

(Original post by Phil_Waite)
          I'd love to see a Wade/Taylor final, I think that would be a classic. Since he won the world championship, Barney has never really performed when he's played Taylor. The problem he has had is that when he goes behind he drops his head and almost seems like he can't be bothered to play. If we do get a Barney/Taylor final, I'm not so sure it will be a very close match.
          Hmm, we all anticipated a classic encounter between Taylor and Barney 2 years ago and Taylor hammered him 7-1 in sets. That's preyed on Barney's mind ever since and apart from the 2010 Matchplay final which Taylor won 18-12 they havent had a close encounter. Whitlock really gave Taylor a run for his money and lost 7-3 last year - he was fresh in the PDC and the WC Final, Wade would be the same. If Wade and Taylor met then I think Taylor would win by around 7-4 ish this year. - That said, Wade's got Anderson and others to get through before we look at the final.
          • TSR Support Team

Barney should have no trouble against McDine, think Van Der Voort will give Wayne Jones a few problems. I can't see Laursen winning a leg tonight never mind a set. Well Adrain Lewis has finally finished off Dudbridge.

ReputationRep:
          I do remember a couple of years back in the Las Vegas Desert Classic in the final between Barney and Taylor, that Taylor went ahead quite convincingly and was close to hammering Barney again, but Barney fought back and made it a very close game. Looking at the score it finished 13-11. That's the type of fight that Barney needs to show if he plays Taylor in a final again.

(Original post by Phil_Waite)
            I do remember a couple of years back in the Las Vegas Desert Classic in the final between Barney and Taylor, that Taylor went ahead quite convincingly and was close to hammering Barney again, but Barney fought back and made it a very close game. Looking at the score it finished 13-11. That's the type of fight that Barney needs to show if he plays Taylor in a final again.
            Thing with that is - and its the same with the Matchplay that they are played in the Matchplay format of legs - as in every leg counts. You can win a match 7-0 in sets and its 21-14 in Legs. Thats where Barney's achilles has come,he's much more comfortable in matchplay (legs) formats.
            • TSR Support Team

Comfortable win for Phil Taylor although to be fair Per Laursen didn't do that bad.

ReputationRep:
            Taylor looking better!

ReputationRep:
            The biggest day of the tournament so far for me, Jones vs van der Voot and Jekins vs Brown. Come on Jones and Jenkins!

ReputationRep:
            Walsh vs Tabern is very good, currently. 3-3 in sets, 4-4 in games.
            • TSR Support Team

Van Der Voort looks impressive today, what a match between James Wade and Suljovic, and Soljovic is actually in front in this one at the minute, but this seems to be one of these games where there's a few twists left in.

ReputationRep:
            Wade is in trouble! Anything could happen though.
            • TSR Support Team

He's gotta break the throw in this game to save the match, could go either way this
            • TSR Support Team

Unbelievable World Number 2 James Wade is out.

Submit reply
          TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 7, 2011
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
          Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.