Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asylum seeker who left girl to die after hit-and-run allowed to stay in UK Watch

(Original post by loafer)
      How many people do you know who have been convicted of so many crimes in so few years?
      There is some confusion. According to the Daily Mail, his only convictions were those I mentioned above, and the rest were cautions. There is a big difference between the two. Unfortunately some journalists don't seem to realize that. (I suspect that the BBC confused cautions for convictions. It is harder to imagine how someone would mistake a conviction for a caution.)

If you drive off after hitting a little girl there is something wrong with you, if he could have got away with it - he would have.
      How do you know that? I have no idea where you've got that notion from, not least because he went to a police station and confessed afterwards. Could you please try justifying your claims in future?

(Original post by Time Tourist)
      What is manslaughter then?
      But I don't think he wasn't convicted of manslaughter? But perhaps I'm wrong. What makes you believe he was convicted of manslaughter?

ReputationRep:
      Ahh, the simpler days when we could just deport criminals to Australia.... *reminisces*

Unacceptable sentencing. There have been two identical cases in Edinburgh in recent years and, on both occasions, the sentence was 12 years, not this sick joke we've got here.

Daily Mail website commenters are incandescent, as usual.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
        You know what? **** his "human rights". They should not apply to worthless career criminals. It would be justice to see him deported and lynched in Iraq.

ReputationRep:
        He should be stripped naked, dragged through the streets of Blackburn and jeered at, with plenty of rotten fruit n vegetables avaliable to public for throwing purposes. It would only seem appropriate that he is then hung, drawn and quartered for all to see, then his beheaded and his remains disgarded without consideration.

If I was Paul Houston I'd be thinking that, but I'm not. Personally, I don't think he deserves to live in our society if this is the way he's going to act. The fact that he has children changes nothing, and it almost seems as if he had them just so he could stay in the UK.

ReputationRep:
        My hear goes out to the father of the now in a better place child, however I must disagree with him. He is lobbying for this man to be sent back to Iraq on the basis that this man killed his daughter, I'm with him this man is indeed a jack ass and needs to be dealt with, however criminals are put in prison and not sent away to another country where he is just going to commit crime again, having said that if it was an English man would he still ask for the man to be deported? (not to turn this into an ethnic thread) but I believe that if the man said 'put him in prison' I would have agreed with him completely.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by ch0llima)
        Unacceptable sentencing. There have been two identical cases in Edinburgh in recent years and, on both occasions, the sentence was 12 years, not this sick joke we've got here.

Daily Mail website commenters are incandescent, as usual.
        Why do you have saddam in your avatar?

ReputationRep:
        He shouldn't have been allowed to stay in this country he broke a law and should then be punished and removed from the country and denied entry into the country again

ReputationRep:
        I don't think you should automatically be deported if you aren't a citizen for committing a crime. Either, you are not allowed to stay in the country regardless of any crime, or you are allowed, and then you serve the correct sentence as a citizen would. You can't just say well, this criminal isn't originally from England so instead of following the justice system let's just deport them. Well, you can, but I don't think you should lol.

On the other hand, I think that is a ridiculously short sentence for what he did, unless it's being portrayed wrongly.

The thing is, if he is an asylum seeker, you don't know his case. He may be killed or tortured if he goes back to the country he is from. If that's the case, then deporting him would be sentencing him to death etc. for a crime where even serial killers do not receive the death penalty.

That's just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
        Fair enough, I can't be bothered to check which were actually convictions and which were cautions.

But either way - how many people do you know who have been cautioned or convicted for that many offences? The vast majority of decent people never so much as speak to a police officer, let alone get arrested once - this guy is obviously quite the criminal, no decent person has that much trouble with the police.

It shouldn't even be an issue - a 99% of decent law-abiding citizens are never even suspected of:
        drugs possession
        burglary
        harassment
        criminal damage

theft
        driving without a license, driving without insurance

Again - he is obviously a pretty terrible person, definitely not the sort we should encourage to come here.

It was obvious that he was a wrong'un when he travelled through half of the western world to arrive in our country, if he really was an innocent man escaping persecution he could have stopped in the dozens of civilised countries on the way.
        this is common every weekend across the country.... and most of the people who get cautioned/convicted would consider themselves to be ordinary decent citizens (albeit ones who can't control themselves after getting pissed on a night out)

ReputationRep:
        The worrying fact overlooked is that he was sentenced to 4 months for driving without a license and failing to stop after an accident, and not charged with this poor girl's murder/manslaughter. Whether that makes him more guilty or innocent is another question, I don't know the details of this case, but surely it must be brought against him that this girl's blood is on his hands.

On the deportation, any foreign criminal should immediately have their 'right' to stay withdrawn, but he didn't even HAVE a right to stay, his asylum application had been rejected every single time he's applied; he shouldn't even have been free to go and kill this girl, however 'accidentally'. Then this 'right to family life', which to me is an insane reason to stop him being deported. Firstly, I would argue having a family is not necessarily a right, but I'm not a legal expert on what constitutes a "right". Secondly, by committing criminal acts, people waive their rights. It is why we lock people up. We can withdraw people's rights in order to protect the wider population, and that is what should have been done and what should now be done in this case.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by kpwxx)
        I don't think you should automatically be deported if you aren't a citizen for committing a crime. Either, you are not allowed to stay in the country regardless of any crime, or you are allowed, and then you serve the correct sentence as a citizen would. You can't just say well, this criminal isn't originally from England so instead of following the justice system let's just deport them. Well, you can, but I don't think you should lol.

On the other hand, I think that is a ridiculously short sentence for what he did, unless it's being portrayed wrongly.

The thing is, if he is an asylum seeker, you don't know his case. He may be killed or tortured if he goes back to the country he is from. If that's the case, then deporting him would be sentencing him to death etc. for a crime where even serial killers do not receive the death penalty.

That's just my opinion.
        I think it is.... the story doesn't say whether he was totally at fault in the incident.... ie mounted the footpath etc or if it was a middle of the road collision when crossing....

not surprised at the sentence, especially when stabbing/killling gets just a minimum of 15 yrs (still believe life should mean life).....

ReputationRep:
        Why is everyone jumping on the bandwagon of this animal's case? Can't you see that the UK Home Office is hyping this story up for some reason, using the normal government-controlled media channels. They even got the father of the dead kid to write a statement in support of deporting the criminal, which they then presented to the court. Why did they do that, do you think? For sure if it was just him, he should be deported to Iraq. But it's NOT just him. He has a British-born child. How can you send someone born in the UK, a British citizen, to a foreign country when they haven't committed any crime? That wouldn't be just. That's the problem the Immigration Appeal Tribunal had to deal with. What happens to the brown-skinned British kid?

Personally I think they interpreted the 'family life' thing too strictly - they could have sent the criminal back but put the kid into care, in the UK.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Picaa)
        Why is everyone jumping on the bandwagon of this animal's case? Can't you see that the UK Home Office is hyping this story up for some reason, using the normal government-controlled media channels. They even got the father of the dead kid to write a statement in support of deporting the criminal, which they then presented to the court. Why did they do that, do you think? For sure if it was just him, he should be deported to Iraq. But it's NOT just him. He has a British-born child. How can you send someone born in the UK, a British citizen, to a foreign country when they haven't committed any crime? That wouldn't be just. That's the problem the Immigration Appeal Tribunal had to deal with. What happens to the brown-skinned British kid?

Personally I think they interpreted the 'family life' thing too strictly - they could have sent the criminal back but put the kid into care, in the UK.
        As you say at the end, they should deported this guy, and if his family choose to go to Iraq to live with him then that is their free choice to make. People need to face up to the consequences of their actions, and the Conservatives shouldn't have reneged on their promise to get rid of the Human Rights Act and implement legislation affirming rights as well as responsibilities. You have a child in this country, then go and commit a crime knowing fully that the consequence will be deportation, you only have yourself to blame.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Picaa)

What are you on about? They were not going to send the father and the children to Iraq, just the father. The kids have a mother who is a British citizen.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
        What are you on about? They were not going to send the father and the children to Iraq, just the father. The kids have a mother who is a British citizen.
        Oh I see. Didn't know that soz

ReputationRep:
        yeah why mention assylum seeker?
        I think you have an issue with assylum seekers? Maybe your dad tells you that immigrants are the cause of all your problems or something? or maybe you believe all that bull**** propaganda on the news everyday?

Either way I never or have never called someone an "assylum seeker" I find that term offensive. Its like seperating someone as non human because they werent born in this land that this government claims is there own.
        • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by sinbad23)
        yeah why mention assylum seeker?
        I think you have an issue with assylum seekers? Maybe your dad tells you that immigrants are the cause of all your problems or something? or maybe you believe all that bull**** propaganda on the news everyday?

Either way I never or have never called someone an "assylum seeker" I find that term offensive. Its like seperating someone as non human because they werent born in this land that this government claims is there own.
        :facepalm2:

I suggest you look up what an asylum seeker is

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Aj12)
        :facepalm2:

I suggest you look up what an asylum seeker is
        Who are you to judge who is allowed in "your" country. Since when did "you" own this country. This is no ones land and has been invaded by numerous empires throughout time. I bet if you look back at your family history someone in your family was probably an assylum seeker or something. People are so arragant with their "this is my country I cant believe hes allowed to stay in my country" crap. Sorry mate its not "your country.

Oh and Im not neccessarily talking to you but anyone who talks about "immigrants and "assylum seekers" as if they are a seperate breed of animal in another galaxy or something. And like someone else said I get the feeling that those who talk about immigrants or assylum seekers are people with little experience being around anyone other than "white english people"

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 17, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.