Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the Rings all the way...

ReputationRep:
    The books? No contest. The films? No contest.

Yeah, I liked Harry Potter when growing up but, looking back, it was merely deus ex machina after MacGuffin after clumsy plot exposition. Enjoyable to a degree but very shallow. The LOTR books are by contrast brimming with imagination and mythology from cover to cover. And, on a technical level, Tolkien is just a far better writer than Rowling. Same goes with the films: Jackson trumps the Potter anthology's motley collection of directors (possibly save Cuaron), the central cast is better, the score is better, the action. And I always prefered LOTR's use of magic to the Potter films' 'point and shoot' crap.

Spoiler:
    Show
    And the Ring rip-off that the Deathly Hallows pulled with the locket was pretty low.

If the Lord of the Rings is an amazingly cold bottle of pure, smooth vodka, Harry Potter is a lukewarm mug of Smirnoff Ice.

ReputationRep:
      Love them both. Although Harry Potter without a doubt

ReputationRep:
      Lord of the Rings is better

ReputationRep:
      LOTR is more epic, more fantastical, more intelligent, better actors.

LOTR wins

ReputationRep:
      Films = LOTR
      Books = Harry Potter

LOTR can be a very heavy read if you get what I mean!

ReputationRep:
      i love fellowship of the ring and i could read that a hundred times over, but the other 2 books are boring as ****, he seems to make them deliberately dull. 233453 words are not necessary for descrbing a tree.

Whereas harry potter is ridiculously easy to read and follow. Series overall harry potter wins, but fellowship ****s on them all. repeatedly. And all the HP films are pretty crap. There's just something about them that irks me, whereas nothing in the lotr things doesn't scream epic in a hundred different ways at any one time.

Plus Liv Tyler. Flawless ****ing victory.

ReputationRep:
      Lord of the Rings films are amazing and about a thousand times better than the Harry Potter ones IMO.

Lord of the Rings is perhaps better written but Harry Potter will always own my heart, I'm afraid. There is just no competition for books you've grown up with and loved for such a large chunk of your life. I also found the LOTR books pretty difficult to get into tbh.

ReputationRep:
      harry potter defintely, i just find LOTR painfully dull

ReputationRep:
      "UGH" at all the people saying Harry Potter is better. If you believe that then you're simply too stupid to appreciate LotR :hand: . Tolkien was a literary genius, Rowling is a decent childrens' author who caught a trend.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by manthew)
      Ah but you see, Dumbledore did not survive forever
      This made me laugh, I love the wink :L

To counter that, I'd say that although he didn't survive forever, this in fact makes him stronger than if he was immortal... His death was planned and he was ready to face it in the name of defeating evil; pretty cool, no?

ReputationRep:
      Lord of the Rings!
      I don't like Harry Potter

ReputationRep:
      The Lord of the Rings of course.

ReputationRep:
      LOTR anyday....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by metalthrashin'mad)
      i love fellowship of the ring and i could read that a hundred times over, but the other 2 books are boring as ****, he seems to make them deliberately dull. 233453 words are not necessary for descrbing a tree.

Whereas harry potter is ridiculously easy to read and follow. Series overall harry potter wins, but fellowship ****s on them all. repeatedly. And all the HP films are pretty crap. There's just something about them that irks me, whereas nothing in the lotr things doesn't scream epic in a hundred different ways at any one time.

Plus Liv Tyler. Flawless ****ing victory.
      Prepare to get flamed for that comment

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by channy)
      The real question is:

Although, I don't wanna know what Arwen is doing to Frodo in that picture...
      "Piss off.... I'm not done with Frodo yet " - Arwen

ReputationRep:
      LOTR for both films & books IMO.

ReputationRep:
      Lord of The Rings all the way.
      The battles in the second and third movie are like digitally orgasmic. I have a LOTR session every 2 months where I sit down and watch all three movies end to end.

As for the books, I would still go with LOTR. They are brilliantly written, the character description is too detailed and amazing. But well the nature part gets a bit drawn out sometimes. Seriously, one guy above me was correct. 1 paragraph or maybe a page is enough to describe a tree!! :P You don't need a million words for it.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by karateworm)
      You think? I reckon Gandalf would be prancing around with his staff and shouting epic stuff... and then Dumbledore would turn invisible, turn Gandalfs hat into a big fat turd and create a wall of fire to pwn his arse.
      really? i thought dumbledore would be doing that whilst Gandalf (capital letter for Gandalf because he is soo worth it lol) would just break dumbledores wand by looking at it then blows up dumbledore, which makes a black hole, sucking the harry potter world in.

Gandalf destroyed a Balrog.
      dumbledoor would get killed by the Balrog. If snape killed dumbleydoorey then imagine what Gandalf could do... :catfight:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.