Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do Labour preside over most of the **** holes in Britain? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I've noticed this too.

It's because poor people vote for them, and poor people live in the **** holes.
    Are you a truly awful person or are you simply really thick?

I'll hazard a combination of the two.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Thatcher destroyed parts of Northern England. That ***** is responsible for large parts of the 'social breakdown' and 'welfare culture' that the ***** in the Tory party like to pin on people from the North.

Go to old mining towns in South Yorkshire, or Nottinghamshire - and ask why they don't support the Conservative party.

So the government should subsidies non profitable mines?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Are you a truly awful person or are you simply really thick?

I'll hazard a combination of the two.
    ...I fail to see how that was relevant to my post? Poor people live in low income areas. Low income areas are usually **** holes. Labour are 'for the working classes' (or meant to be). They win seats in the **** holes. Ergo, what I said was correct.

Oh and I'm not thick at all lol, I'm one of the top students in my year. Awful person? I personally don't think so, but each has their own opinions on what constitutes as 'awful'. Personally, I think I'm pretty nice, but there you go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    As I have said many times before, not all the mines were non profitable. Many were making money.

In any case, its not specifically about the closing down of an entire industry. Its about the brutal way she destroyed the communities affected.
    I'll repeat this quote from thatcher once again.
    "There is no such thing as society".
    That attitude has led to the major problems we have in our society today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    ...I fail to see how that was relevant to my post? Poor people live in low income areas. Low income areas are usually **** holes. Labour are 'for the working classes' (or meant to be). They win seats in the **** holes. Ergo, what I said was correct.

Oh and I'm not thick at all lol, I'm one of the top students in my year. Awful person? I personally don't think so, but each has their own opinions on what constitutes as 'awful'. Personally, I think I'm pretty nice, but there you go.
    i'm sure they are sorry they're not rich and ignorant like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Thatcher destroyed parts of Northern England. That ***** is responsible for large parts of the 'social breakdown' and 'welfare culture' that the ***** in the Tory party like to pin on people from the North.

Go to old mining towns in South Yorkshire, or Nottinghamshire - and ask why they don't support the Conservative party.

Oh for goodness sake. No, that isn't why we have a dependancy culture. I could give you a whole essay on the topic, but I won't bore you with it. Basically, it comes down to:

1) Uneducated idiots not taking advantage of the opportunities provided
    2) General dickishness
    3) Their whole attitude and way of life
    4) Thinking the world owes them a living (it doesn't you lazy morons)
    5) Jealousy. They think if they can't have something, no one should, so they take all they can from the taxpayer
    6) Laziness
    7) The fact that no one wants to employ scumbags

I could go on. Very mature of you to call us '*****' by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rugbyladosc)
    i'm sure they are sorry they're not rich and ignorant like you.
    I'm not particularly rich nor ignorant, I just hold a different point of view to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Oh for goodness sake. No, that isn't why we have a dependancy culture. I could give you a whole essay on the topic, but I won't bore you with it. Basically, it comes down to:

2) General dickishness
    3) Their whole attitude and way of life
    4) Thinking the world owes them a living (it doesn't you lazy morons)
    5) Jealousy. They think if they can't have something, no one should, so they take all they can from the taxpayer
    6) Laziness
    7) The fact that no one wants to employ scumbags

I could go on. Very mature of you to call us '*****' by the way.
    How's the PhD going? Oh wait, you're doing your sats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    How's the PhD going? Oh wait, you're doing your sats.
    AS Levels. They're not too bad.

I fail to see what my age (obviously what you were implying...) has to do with this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Brilliant.

i.) The mines were closed in the most brutal manner and nothing, literally nothing was put in it's place - there was no effort from central government - hence areas that for decades had been employed in an industry and had a purpose were left in economic ruin. Go to certain areas in South Yorkshire, pre-Thatcher they were areas of low crime, unemployment and contained minimal social problems. Post-Thatcher the areas had nothing, they had no jobs, no oppertunity - the state was subsidising people to live on welfare - to deal with the problems of substance abuse - their economy was destroyed and there was no attempts made to replace what was closed. You cannot be surprised after charging in with the police and closing the (profitable) mines of Nottinghamshire - and mines in Yorkshire, Wales - and then leaving without any support that the community will suffer in the most horrendus way.

ii.) If the mines had remained open then, coupled, with state and private investment they are highly likely to be producing a profit (as they do in Australia and New Zealand) due to the emergence of clean coal technology that came about in the 1990s.

iii.) Thatcher placed her faith in the City of London, indeed the entire neo-liberal economc system placed their faith in the superficial manipulation of money. I used to believe that this was the way forward, this was pre-2008, the Anglo-Saxon economic system of closing industry and replacing the national industry with banking is dead. The City is declining and emerging economies - Australia, Brazil have a more balanced economy - where actual physical goods are made. I think Britain has been left in a terrible position, we have completey destroyed our previous manufacturing base in a way very few other countries have - the Thatcher years put an end to the automotive industry, steel, mining and so on. Couple this with the fact that the glory days of London finance appear to be dead a '1980-2008 bubble'. The current government is attempting to rebalance the economy - but it was shifted hugely out of balance in the Thatcher era, and we have, frankly, very little left - coupled with the fact that our so called knowledge economy Thatcher sought won't have the graduates to create it!

Thatcher created this unbalanced economic system, and not to mention created huge, huge social problems in the areas that her blitz of British industry affected. The social problems the Tory's love bleating about are largely the fault of their former leader. Closures of unprofitable industry should have been along the lines of the Ruhr region in Germany, not the wholescale destruction of any real manufacturing base.

That's about as much as I could be bothered reading.

(Original post by .Ali.)

Do you not understand, there are no opportunities. The Thatcher government destroyed the entire economic system of certain regions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    AS Levels. They're not too bad.

I fail to see what my age (obviously what you were implying...) has to do with this?
    I cringe when I see sixteen/seventeen year old kids attempting to sum up aspects of the world in pithy little phrases such as 'basically, it comes down to.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)

Do you not understand, there are no opportunities. The Thatcher government destroyed the entire economic system of certain regions.

Yes there are, we have free schools, libraries, healthcare, etc. They have every opportunity to make something of themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I cringe when I see sixteen/seventeen year old kids attempting to sum up aspects of the world in pithy little phrases such as 'basically, it comes down to.'
    My age doesn't automatically mean I don't know anything about the topic. Don't generalise or stereotype me based on my age please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    Yes there are, we have free schools, libraries, healthcare, etc. They have every opportunity to make something of themselves.
    Do you not grasp the fact that Thatcher left whole electoral wards with 90% unemployment in the space of six-seven years. That is a hugely destructive thing to do. There were no jobs to replace what had been lost. Areas of high productivity - and actually in many cases profit - were blitzed. How do you tell somebody to make something of themself when there are no jobs? No replacement industry. Nothing. These were proud, and very hardworking communities - the way the Thatcher government treated the miners was a national disgrace, and is the reason why me and my family will hold a party when that nasty women kicks the bucket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Do you not grasp the fact that Thatcher left whole electoral wards with 90% unemployment in the space of six-seven years. That is a hugely destructive thing to do. There were no jobs to replace what had been lost. Areas of high productivity - and actually in many cases profit - were blitzed. How do you tell somebody to make something of themself when there are no jobs? No replacement industry. Nothing.These were proud, and very hardworking communities - the way the Thatcher government treated the miners was a national disgrace, and is the reason why me and my family will hold a party when that nasty women kicks the bucket.
    You retrain and you move to where there are jobs. They should have been responsible with their finances and saved some money. The government cannot run unsustainable and/or inefficient mines.

As for the bit in bold, that's disgusting. Whether you agree with someone's politics or not, you don't wish anyone dead. That's just...vile. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    SNAP
    That’s not true; the Development Corporations set up by the conservative administration were set up to redevelop badly hit areas. The Tyne and Wear Development Corporation for example, set up in 1987 its flagship developments included the regeneration of the East Quayside in Newcastle, Royal Quays in North Tyneside and St Peter's in Sunderland. During its lifetime 10,700,000 square feet (990,000 m2) of non-housing development and 4,550 housing units were built. Around 33,707 new jobs were created and some £1,115m of private finance was leveraged in. Circa 1,287 acres (521 ha) of derelict land was reclaimed and 24 miles (39 km) of new road and footpaths put in place.

The Nissan car plan in Sunderland was put there specifically to combat unemployment in the area by the Tory government

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    You retrain and you move to where there are jobs. They should have been responsible with their finances and saved some money. The government cannot run unsustainable and/or inefficient mines.
    It isn't as easy as simply retraining - where do you retrain, what do you retrain into. What is a 50 year old miner with four children meant to do when his trade closes? The 'on ya bike' mentality is truly disgraceful - why should areas with centuries of history and proud traditions become ghost towns - leaving behind the people living in misery and economic ruin, simply because of the economic mismanagement and incompetence of Mrs. Thatcher. Thatcher decimated areas with minimal social problems, and have today become the problem areas of drug abuse, crime and so on. They are desperate areas, and it's truly sad because it didn't used to be like that.

Read by post to Aj-whatever, I addressed the issue of profitablity. Some mines were profitable - particularly the ones in Nottinghamshire. The areas where ones that did have to be closed should have recieved government investment and economic support - they didn't and have become problem towns with no real future. Thatcher destroyed Britain's real economy and put her faith in the financial bubble, which burst in true style in 2008 - leaving Britain - unlike Germany, France, Italy, Australia - with a completely unbalanced economy.

As for being vile? I consider killing whole areas vile. She is a vile human, along with people like Pinochet, Castro, and other nasty, ideological bigots. I will be very happy when the ***** is dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    My age doesn't automatically mean I don't know anything about the topic. Don't generalise or stereotype me based on my age please.
    Pretty much everyone is both uninformed and willing to mindlessly witter away. But you take all the biscuits. I haven't seen even one post of yours, on any subject matter, that's been remotely interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    It isn't as easy as simply retraining - where do you retrain, what do you retrain into. What is a 50 year old miner with four children meant to do when his trade closes? The 'on ya bike' mentality is truly disgraceful - why should areas with centuries of history and proud traditions become ghost towns - leaving behind the people living in misery and economic ruin, simply because of the economic mismanagement and incompetence of Mrs. Thatcher. Thatcher decimated areas with minimal social problems, and have today become the problem areas of drug abuse, crime and so on. They are desperate areas, and it's truly sad because it didn't used to be like that.
    Whatever he wants to. The choice is really up to the individiual, I can't make that decision for them. If they choose not to, it's their fault. No, she wasn't incompetent, she ran a budget surplus for a lot of her time in power, which was quite an achievement. They're not 'desperate', I have very little pity for those who do not help themselves. There are options out there, if they don't take them, it's their problem. Sorry if I sound somewhat cold-hearted, but that's how it is.

Read by post to Aj-whatever, I addressed the issue of profitablity. Some mines were profitable - particularly the ones in Nottinghamshire. The areas where ones that did have to be closed should have recieved government investment and economic support - they didn't and have become problem towns with no real future. Thatcher destroyed Britain's real economy and put her faith in the financial bubble, which burst in true style in 2008 - leaving Britain - unlike Germany, France, Italy, Australia - with a completely unbalanced economy.
    Some were, but it was cheaper to outsource it. Therefore, that is what happened. You cannot blame Thatcher for the recession, as I said she ran a surplus, as she didn't believe in constant borrowing.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much everyone is both uninformed and willing to mindlessly witter away. But you take all the biscuits. I haven't seen even one post of yours, on any subject matter, that's been remotely interesting.
    That is all subjective, and a matter of opinion. I really don't understand why you're contributing. At all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.