Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phobia27)
    Blackberry Torch is awesome :sexface: Especially when I'm getting it for £25 a month, phone was free and 2 year contract :ahee:
    You can't honestly believe that :sly:

ReputationRep:
    Get the HTC Wildfire. Best bang for your buck.

Update: I bought a Nokia C3. When I went into the O2 shop, the bloke told me about a minimal contract where I get three-hundred minutes (why not five hours?) and unlimited text messages for a tenner a month (SIM only). So I said I definitely want a phone with a full keyboard in that case, and we settled on a Nokia C3... not a bad price, either, at eighty pounds.

My only problem now: do I want, at some point, to upgrade from my current contract to one for a fiver more per month which includes Internet access on the phone? The only benefit I can really see is Facebook and TSR while I'm on my way to college, to be honest

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave me advice!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think theres any point paying a fiver for internet access when it doesn't even have 3G. TSR takes ages to load over GPRS.
    Tbh, if your spending around £80 I would have got a low end android phone.

ReputationRep:
    Tesco do a one month contract for £10 a month with 500 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet so you can cancel it at anytime.
    That what i use with my iPhone.

ReputationRep:
    you can get the orange San Francisco for £80, and unlocks are free on it, not that i recommend android over BB, but its deffo a nice low end OS

ReputationRep:
    No. Everyone and their nan has a BB.

They. Are. Crap.

ReputationRep:
    I like my BB, wouldn't change for an iPhone; they are far too fragile and touch screens are bad. I'm 6 ft 1 and my fingers scale accordingly, I still find it easy to type on one of the smaller keyboards of the BB range. BBM for me is so useful, texting is not the same, I would say I hardly text now because of BBM. I like that I can see when someone's read my messages, and just the general speed of it.

ReputationRep:
    I personally would get an iPhone, but Blackberries are good phones too I suppose..

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I don't think theres any point paying a fiver for internet access when it doesn't even have 3G. TSR takes ages to load over GPRS.
    Tbh, if your spending around £80 I would have got a low end android phone.
    Why would I want Android? I've learned enough now to know that if I want a phone complex enough to require an operating system, I've lost the point of buying a phone. And no, I'm not serious about Internet access, that's what the Pandora's for. Also, I'm not spending, I've spent.

(Original post by DesignFreak)
    Tesco do a one month contract for £10 a month with 500 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet so you can cancel it at anytime.
    That what i use with my iPhone.
    I am an O2 customer. I only wasn't when I was a Vodafone customer, which is a long time ago - before digital phones were common. My family have been with O2 since it was BT Cellnet, so I know that they're not a bad company, and I've actually experienced their excellent customer service. And like I said, I have already signed the contract.

(Original post by teshnit)
    you can get the orange San Francisco for £80, and unlocks are free on it, not that i recommend android over BB, but its deffo a nice low end OS
    Like I said above, I'm an O2 customer. I upgraded what I'm paying for with the same company; I never intend to cease being an O2 customer now. And again, I have already bought my phone.

(Original post by dannyr)
    I personally would get an iPhone, but Blackberries are good phones too I suppose..
    I personally would rather get a pile of 7400-series discrete logic chips and design and construct my own phone than get an iPhone. Anything with an Apple logo on it is severely overpriced, and has been since the Lisa came out.

In other words, the vote is over. I've bought a phone, I'm satisfied with it, and I've even obtained a better phone-call deal with my existing company to boot. So suggestions are no longer required.

Thank you: that is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)

I am an O2 customer. I only wasn't when I was a Vodafone customer, which is a long time ago - before digital phones were common. My family have been with O2 since it was BT Cellnet, so I know that they're not a bad company, and I've actually experienced their excellent customer service. And like I said, I have already signed the contract.
    Sorry i totally misread your post.

ReputationRep:
    I swore I wasn't going to get anything like that, but I must say I would rather like one. I'm rather attracted to the fact it has an actual keyboard, which would make writing messages on it simpler. The thing is, I can't see myself using half the features, like email and whatnot, so I don't know if it'd actually be worth it. Also, I don't know about the software - if they run Windows I'm not touching.

I need to get a new phone anyway, the one I've got is actually falling apart after being in my pocket for about five years.

What do you think?
    they gay brah

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you could've got the orange san Francisco for 20 pound more.

ReputationRep:
    Why would I want Android? I've learned enough now to know that if I want a phone complex enough to require an operating system, I've lost the point of buying a phone.
    What?? :confused:
    Every phone has an operating system.
    Hell, everything with a CPU has an operating system.
    As for the Nokia C3, it uses a cut down version of the symbian OS that higher end Nokias use.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    What?? :confused:
    Every phone has an operating system.
    Hell, everything with a CPU has an operating system.
    As for the Nokia C3, it uses a cut down version of the symbian OS that higher end Nokias use.
    I meant for the OS to be important enough for me to need to think about it. Of course there's an operating system; as a programmer I don't need to be told that.

ReputationRep:
    i had to use my mum's blackberry torch whilst i waited for my iphone 4 (upgraded from 3gs but it took longer because i switched from o2 to orange.) and it was HORRIBLE i hated it, they'd tried copying a few of the features on the iphone but failed miserably. i hated it so much i tried her old blackberry curve and that was even worse, the buttons are so hard to type with and the internet was extremely slow compared with the iphone.

i love my iphone, it is literally the best thing i have ever bought and people who say that it's 'just a toy' are crazy, because it's an amazing PHONE. please don't bother buying a blackberry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshnit)
    where can u get a san frasn for £80 from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    No.

Get an iPhone or HTC.
    Excuse me , may I ask u a question sounds kind of amusing. But could u please tell me some advantages of Iphone?Cause I'm thinking about to buy one.Thx.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a lot that blackberry has a extremely strong signal. It does has a convenient keyboard, so go and buy one. If u like it. But on my point of view ,I'd rather like an Iphone, cause its mobile screen is bigger, that will make the web surfing more expendiently.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any experience of the BB Curve 3G 9300? I'm tempted by it because it's only £200 on PAYG, but apparently it's pretty primitive compared to the Bold etc.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.