Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are there any people who believe in God here? Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okinawa)
    Bend over and drop your shorts.
    No thats how you get a catholic priest to help you

ReputationRep:
    If Gods' real why did he make me an Atheist?

If we're all Gods' sons what makes Jesus so special?

And finally If there is a God and I meet him come the end of my life.. could I not just repent...after all he is 'all forgiving' right?

Too much irony and juxtaposition to list with religion... especially Christianity - hard to believe. Seems to me like concocted bull**** for explaining things people couldn't understand thousands of years ago which isn't relevant today.
    On one hand science is often rejected by religion but if there's a way to cunningly twist a morsel of scientific analyses in favour of religion it is revelled.

ReputationRep:
    Too much juxtaposition to list with religion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy)
    It's probably worthwhile asking what they're turning to God for though. If they're asking for work/money/women/healing etc... then there is every possibility that they won't receive what they're asking for. These are all earthly posessions and benefits which should be of little or no value to a Christian. In Phillipians 3:7-11, Paul says that he considers all of his wordly gains as rubbish, and that he much prefers to have Christ and in fact share in his sufferings.

If people ask for a great job, or lots of money, or a hot wife, or a cure for cancer etc, then they're ignoring what God considers to be the only important thing. In Luke 11:9-13 you see Jesus telling people that if they ask then they will receive... but notice what he says they will receive: "how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!". God's priority is his Kingdom, and as Jesus said, "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of Heaven" (Luke 18:25)
    Not necessarily asking for any earthly possessions - could be requesting the healing of a very sick friend or family member, an end to conflict somewhere, forgiveness for sins, or any number of possibilities. There have been many who have prayed for this and heard nothing in return.

But I suppose you'll say something like 'they'll be rewarded in the next life', which is all very convenient, as there is no way of proving or disproving this. To me, this is just a way to justify all the evils in the world whilst pretending that there is an all-loving God.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it can be comforting to think that "they're with god now", rather than trying to find someone to blame/sue.

Prayer is a form of meditation - studies have shown that it has real neurological effects. If you are genuinely annoyed or confused because God doesn't answer your prayers then you are a moron.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue acre)
    Sometimes it can be comforting to think that "they're with god now", rather than trying to find someone to blame/sue.

Prayer is a form of meditation - studies have shown that it has real neurological effects. If you are genuinely annoyed or confused because God doesn't answer your prayers then you are a moron.
    Yes but it does not give us any proof for a God. In a sense it is false hope.

For example; If you deal with aggression through violence, as a way to let it out, it does not make it right.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure that I understand your point, Rustaman.

I'm talking about the benefits of faith regardless of the existence of God.

Is innocence false? Why do we give our children a childhood if it is effectively false and not coherent with reality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRustaman)
    So what you're saying is God doesn't give a **** about his creation?
    No I'm saying that he does care about his creation but that because this earth has been corrupted he is preparing a perfect place which will be inhabited by those who he created here... but only for those who actually want to go there. Those people are looking forward to that

(Original post by midpikyrozziy)
    could be requesting the healing of a very sick friend or family member, an end to conflict somewhere
    Not posessions, but ultimately still things which are only of any importance in this world. 80 years suffering on earth is negligibly small compared to eternity ("For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us" - Romans 8:18)

forgiveness for sins
    Forgiveness for sin is definitely granted to those with faith in Christ. That is absolutely guaranteed ("There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" - Romans 8:1).

But I suppose you'll say something like 'they'll be rewarded in the next life', which is all very convenient, as there is no way of proving or disproving this.
    I have not at any point made any attempt to prove anything to you. I have merely explained what the Bible says about the topics at hand. Incidentally, the Bible does not address the issue of scientific proof whatsoever, except to say that there will always be people who don't believe, and that the Christian message seems like a load of rubbish to them ("For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles" - 1 Corinthians 1:22). Note "Gentiles" just means non-Jewish folk. If this is you then I fully accept that what I am saying is complete crap to you

To me, this is just a way to justify all the evils in the world whilst pretending that there is an all-loving God.
    The reason for the suffering and evil in the world is actually God's judgment on man for sin. When the first sin was committed, the whole world was cursed and man's relationship with God and with each other was wholly corrupted. While it is true to say that God is loving, he is also righteous and he does judge wrongdoing. There is nothing righteous about just letting sin go (how would you feel if a judge released a rapist-murderer with no sentence just because he felt "forgiving"?). However the Christian message is that he has found a way to justify the unjust ("but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8)

ReputationRep:
    Im Catholic, perhaps you should go to confession and perhaps proceed to converting ?

(Original post by Escriba)
      Nope.
      look up "deism". Deists believe in an impersonal god. Impersonal god meaning god does not interfere in matters at all. So you can swear off god and it wouldn't matter to god. Thus the "impersonal".

ReputationRep:
      Not posessions, but ultimately still things which are only of any importance in this world. 80 years suffering on earth is negligibly small compared to eternity ("For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us" - Romans 8:18)

Forgiveness for sin is definitely granted to those with faith in Christ. That is absolutely guaranteed ("There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus" - Romans 8:1).
      Without trying to argue for or against the existence of God here, will you admit that this setup is very convenient? If you tell poor people that they will be rich for eternity after they die, and sinners that if they repent they'll have an eternity of happiness, it's easy to see why they might become Christians.

I have not at any point made any attempt to prove anything to you. I have merely explained what the Bible says about the topics at hand. Incidentally, the Bible does not address the issue of scientific proof whatsoever, except to say that there will always be people who don't believe, and that the Christian message seems like a load of rubbish to them ("For Jews demand signs and Greeks seek wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and folly to Gentiles" - 1 Corinthians 1:22). Note "Gentiles" just means non-Jewish folk. If this is you then I fully accept that what I am saying is complete crap to you

The reason for the suffering and evil in the world is actually God's judgment on man for sin. When the first sin was committed, the whole world was cursed and man's relationship with God and with each other was wholly corrupted. While it is true to say that God is loving, he is also righteous and he does judge wrongdoing. There is nothing righteous about just letting sin go (how would you feel if a judge released a rapist-murderer with no sentence just because he felt "forgiving"?). However the Christian message is that he has found a way to justify the unjust ("but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us" - Romans 5:8)
      I like how the Greeks' 'seeking wisdom' is something to be avoided. That's basically saying you shouldn't try to prove any of this, it's much better to follow blindly. Again, very convenient when religion is scrutinised by science.

Sin is clearly not as one-dimensional as that. There are a great many reasons why people 'sin', some of them entirely justified. Way too simplistic to attribute it all to original sin.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by S-man10)
      look up "deism". Deists believe in an impersonal god. Impersonal god meaning god does not interfere in matters at all. So you can swear off god and it wouldn't matter to god. Thus the "impersonal".

Okay...but doesn't that kind of defeat the object of 'God' anyway?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TruthJS)
      How do I get God to help me?

I spelt there their*. There, there... it'll be fine.
      Look into the sky and see if you can see him with your hands together and shout 'HELP ME GOD!!!!'
      Nothing will happen, because it doesn't care.

Okay...but doesn't that kind of defeat the object of 'God' anyway?
        No. Certain individuals only acknowledge god because they think the universe had a cause (a creator), and not more. Therefore morality is not related to god here, and you can cause hell on earth and god wouldn't care. Likewise you can swear of god without having a guilty conscience that "god is watching me and noting this down which he will ask me why I did such and such when I die."

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by S-man10)
        No. Certain individuals only acknowledge god because they think the universe had a cause (a creator), and not more. Therefore morality is not related to god here, and you can cause hell on earth and god wouldn't care. Likewise you can swear of god without having a guilty conscience that "god is watching me and noting this down which he will ask me why I did such and such when I die."

Wow. Well, I think I see your point. It still seems pretty nonsensical but thank for explaining the idea behind it anyway.

Wow. Well, I think I see your point. It still seems pretty nonsensical but thank for explaining the idea behind it anyway.
          Why is it nonsensical? I presume its because you have never heard it before?

I think you might have been assuming all along that religion and god are entirely related, and you maybe right. But god as a concept, can be, and is, exclusive from religion. I do not see how this is nonsensical. It makes the most sense to say the least.

ReputationRep:
          I'm having a hard time telling the trolls apart from the genuine delusional religious folk.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by TruthJS)
          How do I get God to help me?
          We're sorry but god is no longer available due to the existance of the babel fish (see below)

Spoiler:
          Show
          The Babel fish is small, yellow, leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the universe. It feeds on brain wave energy, absorbing all unconscious frequencies and then excreting telepathically a matrix formed from the conscious frequencies and nerve signals picked up from the speech centres of the brain. The practical upshot of which is that if you stick one in your ear, you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language; the speech you hear decodes the brain wave matrix.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could evolve purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing". "But," says man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway, isn't it? It proves you exist and so therefore you don't. QED." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic. "Oh, that was easy," says man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white, and gets killed on the next zebra crossing. Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys. But this did not stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme for his best selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up for God. Meanwhile the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different cultures and races, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

ReputationRep:
          I believe in God, and also believe that He will help anyone who deserves to be helped. Try praying? To be honest with you, I don't know why you're asking this because you clearly don't believe for yourself..

ReputationRep:
          If Jesus was Jew, why isn't Jew the right race?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.