Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't Wenger under any real pressure to deliver trophies? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    What do you mean by 'carried Arsenal to the CL'? Hargreaves actually won the CL with Utd, btw..... Veron won a PL title with Utd, which is more than can be said of any current Arsenal player, but y'know, you get what you pay for.
    Not in the case of Veron and Hargreaves. Just because they won trophies with Man Utd doesn't mean the team couldn't have done it without them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Smurf)
    Not in the case of Veron and Hargreaves. Just because they won medals at Man Utd, it doesn't mean the team couldn't have done it without them.
    Yeah, it's quite clear you didn't watch Utd in 07/08, given that Hargreaves was the main reason Utd actually won the CL, unlike any Arsenal team in history..... also, winning the CL makes £17m look like small change, tbh.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    It's worth noting Arsenal took out a lot of debt to build the Emirates and redevelop Highbury, so for a period it was far from certain how that would fair out for the club's finances (it turned out well in the end), plus Wenger was very close to ex-shareholder/chairman David Dein. He also has an Economics background. I guess these have all led to him adopting a more prudent/sustainable spending policy than other managers. But from the shareholders view, he adds a lot of value to the club.
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Not when the shareholders are making big bucks due to the lack of transfer investment and continuous top four finishes. If he failed to get into the top four, it'd start hurting them financially and then Wenger may be under more pressure, same applies if he had spent a lot in the transfer windows. Currently he doesn't so none of the shareholders really care.
    In a thread filled with mostly ****, childish responses, these are at least two that have some substance behind them. Asked about whether he was well paid in a shareholders AGM, Wenger got irritated and said he was paid "handsomely" because he makes a lot of money for the club. The merits of what Wenger has been doing for Arsenal won't be seen until another 5 years time when clubs who are living beyond their means begin to feel the effects. In any case, I think he has taken Arsenal as far as he can -- he has set-up a brilliant platform for a proper man-manager (someone a bit more ruthless and someone who is able to motivate talented players) to take over.

As a side point, I’d quite like him gone but for various other reasons. The fact that Arsenal haven’t won a trophy doesn’t even factor into it for me. Arsenal are almost certain to win the Carling Cup (which I really don’t care about) but in any case, while some ‘fans’ are desperate to count trophies, it doesn’t do a lot for me. I want Wenger out because he has filled the club with players who don’t give a **** about the club (it’s history, the fans). They get handed undeserved contracts after just a couple of decent performances and get paid silly money regardless of how they play. They don’t respect the manager and they’re able to walk all over him. Throwing the game away against Tottenham at home was the breaking point for me and many other fans.

(edit: Although, it's worth noting that shareholders don't directly profit from Arsenal profits -- but swap 'shareholders' with the 'board' who do care about the financial stability of the club and the point still holds).

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal's trophies are the likes of Nasri and Fabregas, or players they can sell on for massive amounts. Wenger is heralded as much for selling players at a profit as he is for actually being successful in football terms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aodhán)
    Are you joking? Song is one of the best players we have at Arsenal and helped us out a great deal last season. He's extremely underrated. Only this season has he started to roam forward and that's only because he has been told to do so by Arsene Wenger. Whilst I do think he should stick to defensive, it's not exactly his fault if that's what he is being told to do.

And you neglect to mention that Wenger only paid £1 million. However bad you perceive Song to be, he is certainly worth more than £1 million now. Hardly idiocy.
    I wouldn't bother. Some people's viewpoints are very short-term orientated and often driven by emotion. Even a basic supporter would understand the importance Alex Song has played in this squad over the past year and a half.

ReputationRep:
    The only people who can sack him are the ones he's delivering profits to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)

(edit: Although, it's worth noting that shareholders don't directly profit from Arsenal profits -- but swap 'shareholders' with the 'board' who do care about the financial stability of the club and the point still holds).
    Not sure what you mean by this? Profits are either redistributed to shareholders or reinvested by the club. The board is elected by shareholders so they will have mutual interests. And, of course shareholders are interested in a financial stable club. Am I'm missing something?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawaccess23)
    Obviously he's helping to keep the club sustainable and is clearly satisfying the shareholders , but surely these thoughts are for fans who are not caring about if they'll see a trophy again in their lifetime? Where are the voices of dissent? Are they silenced by attractive football? (there's probably no blame there).
    There is plenty of dissent, but it's going a bit far to say we won't win a trophy "in [our] lifetime" - it's only been 5 years and pretty much every year since then we've been competitive in more than one of the major competitions.

ReputationRep:
    Those saying that the board/club doesn't give him any money to spend big is a little bit wrong. I'm sure I remember reading/hearing that the board have constantly gave him a decent budget in transfer windows, but he refuses to spend it, I believe the figure for what he has to spend in January is somewhere around £50 million if I remember rightly. If Fabregas goes I can see Wenger being ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Not sure what you mean by this? Profits are either redistributed to shareholders or reinvested by the club. The board is elected by shareholders so they will have mutual interests. And, of course shareholders are interested in a financial stable club. Am I'm missing something?
    Arsenal aren't on the FTSE and their shares aren't traded publicly. Arsenal recording massive profits doesn't directly impact on shareholders because they don't draw dividends. The shareholders are interested in a financially stable club but may think that more on-field success might help to achieve that especially branding wise. At the AGM a year back, shareholders seemed to be quite hostile about Wenger's reluctance to spend (as well as other decisions).

ReputationRep:
    Football training centre, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mastermind`)
    Football training centre, tbh.
    Heard that they are actually opening one in usa

ReputationRep:
    2 reasons -

They are profitable under Wenger
    The fans are entertained.

The question is, given the choice between the two following scenarios, which team would you rather support:
    The team that goes out and plays attractive entertaining football, making it to the last 8/4/2 of tournaments but rarely winning anything
    The team that goes out and wins everything, but there's no entertainment value in the style of play. It's clinical and efficient, nothing else.

And be honest. What's the point of winning trophies if you don't enjoy the journey there?
    And don't bother mentioning the third option of "winning everything AND playing beautiful football" because that is a very rare combination. Wenger could probably win more trophies (even if technically he's the 2nd most successful premiership manager ever and has won more post-war FA cups than anyone but Alex Ferguson, though has actually won the FA cup more times in his tenure at Arsenal than Ferguson has in the same period of time...).

ReputationRep:
    Alao...what are the clubs that are 'supposed' to get trophies? :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antonfigo)
    Alao...what are the clubs that are 'supposed' to get trophies? :teeth:
    Arsenal, Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and City..... oh and Newcastle.

To those saying Arsenal are profitable under Wenger, I think given how Arsenal is set up that they'd be profitable regardless.

ReputationRep:
    Because there profile is a top 4 club and not a title winner, unlike Man U, Chelsea and *cough cough* even Man City now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawaccess23)
    Obviously he's helping to keep the club sustainable and is clearly satisfying the shareholders , but surely these thoughts are for fans who are not caring about if they'll see a trophy again in their lifetime? Where are the voices of dissent? Are they silenced by attractive football? (there's probably no blame there).
    Suppose they come to football games to be entertained, and that's what they tend to get. They see Arsenals attractive football work for nearly every game of the season. The only time it doesn't work really would be in the crucial games between United and Chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    What do you mean by 'carried Arsenal to the CL'? Hargreaves actually won the CL with Utd, btw..... Veron won a PL title with Utd, which is more than can be said of any current Arsenal player, but y'know, you get what you pay for.
    Carried as in was outstanding for 12 games. Couldn't give a **** what they've won, I was just pointing out that you can't just go and pick up a Ronaldo for 12m or Vidic for 6m, they were exceptional signings

ReputationRep:
    Wenger has made a new signing today.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...al/9301881.stm

Another 18 year old. :lol:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 19, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.